Grinding/ crunching when pulling off

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimkey83

Hi,

I have a problem with my 1999 Puma.
When pulling away it makes a brief grinding . crunching noise, this has been happening for nearly a year but its now happening on a brief incline in first gear.
Does anyone know what this is thanks James

Does it happen at 15mph? Does it only do it once for about a second or two?

It has been doing it around that mph yes but just noticed it doing it on slight inclines which never used to happen and sounds like when you put it in the wrong gear

Sounds like the ABS self-test which happens once per journey at 15mph.

If it's happening outside of this is but it sounds like the same thing then it could be that one of the sensors is dirty or faulty.

steplce said:
as red said, its the abs self test, mine doesnt seem to do it thou? or i have my stereo to loud

Hi, Mine started to do it accompanied by the ABS light.

Light is still on but hasn't graunched for a while now.

Cool, thanks for that, it hasn't done it today so maybe a one off, the self test noise is bizarre, I bought it in July with just under 29000 on , its only done 32200 now and passed its test last month no probs.
I just need the heater control valve replaced and bought a ford part from amazon and will see if I can do myself if not £30 to get replaced.

john & Jake the dog said:
[post]349129[/post]
steplce said:
as red said, its the abs self test, mine doesnt seem to do it thou? or i have my stereo to loud

Hi, Mine started to do it accompanied by the ABS light.

Light is still on but hasn't graunched for a while now.
Hi
One of your sensors has failed. You'll need to sort this before next MOT.
Paul

So that's what the slight graunchy noise is! Thanks guys
All 3 of ours do it so I guessed it wasn't anything to worry about but finally I know what it is :)

I have this problem. Today checked the sensors, it seems that the right ring is distorted by a provisional mechanic

2hhj4sl.jpg

I brushed the rust and now it occurs less often but still happens
Sombody knows the part number of the ring?

Well, bloody hell. Have heard this bizarre noise ever since I bought the car 2012, and it's always irritated me as I could never figure out what it was. I thought it was pointless to mention it to the Ford dealership that look after the car as it does it once, then never again.

Now I know what it is I won't let it bother me anymore! Thanks chaps! :cheer:

ivanouk said:
[post]349605[/post] I have this problem. Today checked the sensors, it seems that the right ring is distorted by a provisional mechanic

2hhj4sl.jpg

I brushed the rust and now it occurs less often but still happens
Sombody knows the part number of the ring?
Phone Arden Ford in Stratford.Will get an OE one next day,not cheap!

Latest posts

Back