Newbie looking for FRP

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRPCurn

Hi All,

Looking forward to getting stuck in here. Im traditionally a Jap car fan but my GT86 has just gone so Im looking for a Racing Puma to replace it with

Cheers Iain

Hi Iain,

What's made you go from a GT86 to a Ford Racing Puma?

Good luck with the search, depending on the direction of the wind there'll be none, one or five for sale.

:grin: That sums things up completely!

GT86 was a company car. I now have a sensible car for work which leaves me space to have a weekend toy.

Ive always loved the FRP's and now seems like the right time for me to get one

FRPCurn said:
GT86 was a company car. I now have a sensible car for work which leaves me space to have a weekend toy.

Ive always loved the FRP's and now seems like the right time for me to get one

Wow! GT86 company car!
Good luck with the search for a FRP. As red says, they don't come up for sale very often, especially the good ones.
I reckon people are starting to hold on to them now, which means that the few that do come up for sale are not cheap.
Paul

I'm still waiting for my old one to re-surface but it has been SORN for a couple of years now

I take it you've seen this one - pity about the huge spoiler:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-puma-ford-RACING-PUMA-/401089441149?hash=item5d62cb2d7d:g:JogAAOSwyjBW6VPw

There don't seem to be too many about at the moment. Even the comically overpriced one at Ron Hodgekinson seems to have disappeared as well.

Thanks guys. I have seen the one with the spoiler on ebay. I'd like to look at a couple really to see what's about (Judging by whats for sale at the moment not a lot).

I'm guessing as FRP's are more expensive and enthusiast owed most may be in good - excellent condition?

They tend to fall into three categories. Mint, average, or rough. A mint one (and I mean show ready mint) will get strong money, really strong money (and to be fair, I've not see a 'mint' one for sale. Just overpriced that say they are mint!) The average ones will probably need a fair few thousand on to keep on top of them - think brakes (£1k ish for a proper front end rebuild), inner sills, outer sills, underfloor, cambelt (done properly), and then there are all the silly priced parts as they become rarer and bits from Ford (shared with the standard Puma) become obselete.

Put it this way, I bought an average condition one, with low miles and low owners for £5k last year. With parts and tinkering to get it show worthy I'm well into five figures....

XAF - Thanks for that. All really useful information to know. It looks like potentially anything saved on buying an average one will be spent getting it up to a good standard then.

I did realise parts were getting rarer so my expensive. I'll just keep an eye out and hopefully the right car will come along.

FRPCurn said:
I'd like to look at a couple really to see what's about (Judging by whats for sale at the moment not a lot).
That's the problem really, there's never enough for sale to do a lot of comparison.
I would advise attending a few meets and shows. You'll be able to have a good look round a few cars and chat with the owners. At least it will give you an idea of what you should be looking for.

BTW James...did you get my text reply yesterday?

Paul

748 said:
BTW James...did you get my text reply yesterday?

Paul

Oooh, sorry Paul, totally forgot to reply! How rude!!

Incoming text......

FRPCurn said:
[post]350062[/post] XAF - Thanks for that. All really useful information to know. It looks like potentially anything saved on buying an average one will be spent getting it up to a good standard then.

I did realise parts were getting rarer so my expensive. I'll just keep an eye out and hopefully the right car will come along.

Don't know where you're based, but you're welcome to come and have a good poke around mine and I'll show you the scary excel spreadsheet......

XAF - I'm based in Wiltshire. U? I'd love to have a look around one.

748 - Good call reference the meets. Ill have a look at the calendar now

FRPCurn said:
[post]350070[/post] XAF - I'm based in Wiltshire. U? I'd love to have a look around one.

748 - Good call reference the meets. Ill have a look at the calendar now

Ah, that's quite a way a way from sunny Yorkshire :cool:

But fairly close to Castle Combe :)
There'll be some FRPs there on RS day.
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=29610
Paul

Ill be there on RS day. Just put a deposit down on 458! She's being MOTed tomorrow so hopefully I can collect at the weekend.

Latest posts

Back