newbie wanting help

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1967

hi im mark and my daughter owns a 2001 1.7 puma her pride and joy last week she was forced to drive through deep water which has soaked the inside carpets that's not a problem just need an after noon to remove seats and carpet and get it dry
the problem I have is the puma now wont start everything work but once you turn key nothing wont even turn over so I have check all fuses and relays they are all ok I think im right in saying that the ecu is under the front wheel arch if it is the ecu what can I do about it

thanks mark

Hi there Mark, the ecu is in the passenger footwell, high up underneath the bottom left corner of the glovebox

Hi Mark
Hard to tell from your explanation but when you turn the ignition on does the warning lights on the dashboard come on?
Barry

hi barry thanks for replying yes all lights come on the dash has normal but once you turn the key nothing at all just dead and battery is fine I know this has I put it on my car a v6 mustang and it struck no problem

Hi Mark, not even a click from the starter solenoid? I know it's unlikely but if that car is a standard one the air intake is at the back of the front wing and if the water was deep enough it could have ingested some water. Try turning it over with all the spark plugs out.
Barry

Do not paint the devil on the wall. Start with the smales possible mistake. For me as Mecanic ist the ECU the last thing i check. There are more than 100 other problems can be and they all can be testet.

First chek this:
If you turn Ignition Key to Start can you heare a klick noise in te moment you turn the ignition to start?
For the next steps you ned a multimeter a test lamp and ned to know wher is the starter.
On top of the starter is the magnetic switch. on the back side of this switch are two cable fixed with nut.
If you can not hear a click test wit the test lamp if you have power on the smal wire when ignition is on start position.
If you can her a click test wit the multimeter from batery plus to the biger cable on the starter. Tell me the display by ignition on start. and do the same from batery minus to the housing from the starter also whit ignition on start positin.

when i have te test results i will tel you the next steps.

Dear Barry
I don't want to discredit you. But if i understand the post from mark right was his daugter still driving after the deep wather. So i think when the water was this deep that water in the intake is now the problem the the car have had stopet in the wather. Two jears ago i had to drive across a overfoatet road to go to the fire department because we had overfloatings in the hole town and I'm in the voluntary fire brigade. And my Puma had no problems whit it.

Cheers Mate, I just assumed that the car hadn't driven since it went into the deep water maybe Mark can clarify.
Barry

ok to clarify what went on she drove through very deep water all the inside carpets are still soaking wet,the pretensioner light stays on,i went out to the car the next days and it struck up for me that was last week she went to start it yesterday and nothing like I said in first post everything works just when you turn key nothing no clicking nothing.

were is the fuel pump reset button or do you mean the fuel injection shut off switch if so that has not been activated

will have a look at the electrical side has soon has it stops raining but looks like its in for the day here

Hi Mark
The fuel pump cut off is under the plastic cover with the fuel pump symbol in the passenger side carpet at the front, in fact it's just under the ECU. To clarify further did the car continue to run till she got home or did it just stop and refuse to run as soon as it had gone through the water.
Barry

hi barry no she managed to drive home and it started the next day for me which was last Wednesday went to it yesterday and nothing does not even try to turn over

the fuel cut off switch is were it should be it has not been activated

the only thing I can hear is a slight buzzing in the engine bay when I turn the key

I can not hear the fuel pump coming on and theres no clicking of relays under the bonnet

Hi Mark
I think what Standley90 suggested is the best way forward then ie just checking for where power is until you can find the break but definitely get all the interior out so it can start to dry any electrical plugs.
Barry

thanks barry
yes the interior need to come out has soon has we get a few dry days cant do much at the moment has I don't have any were inside to do the work have to wait for the weather to clear

These threads may be of interest -

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=352039#p352039
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=345311#p345311

Was the fuse/relay box in the engine bay checked or just the fuse box below the driver's dash?

Systematic testing is the way forward here, although if I had to guess then I'd suspect soaked lower engine bay /water condensed by hot engine /re-condensed all over electrics higher up overnight. Steam (which is effectively what water vapour is) can get anywhere. Few cans of GT80/WD40 will probably prove pretty useful on this job.

I'll leave you to it. :)

right guys been out to car this morning now that its quite in the street I can hear a relay clicking on and off and then something else clicking in lower down don't know if that's of any help

the voltage from the neg side to the starter body is zero and from the positive side it is between 250-300 volts that's assuming I have checked it right

ok so I tried bump starting the car and car runs no problem at all but still will not start from the key

Might be worth taking off the starter and checking it over, as water may have got into it. Possibly, first applying power to it once off.

First i think jou have checked wong. 250-300 volt is not possible by a 12 volt car system.
About your secon post. I'm up to 90% shure that the starter is ko. Sometime when you careful nocking on the starter it wil work for a last few times. And i think that it is contingency that the starter quit after the lakedrive :wink:

Latest posts

Back