ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggs

Hi Guys,

Newbie so thought I would be best to say hi. Just got a 1998 1.7 puma, been off the road since 2010 (when I first knew it) and sat on my father in laws farm since. Sold my daily 9 months ago to save some money and put the wife through uni, as a reward she's letting me have this as a project car.

Firstly the bad bits, its been sat in a field for 5 years but its not as bad as you would expect, the sills have been previously patched and I've saw worse wings on road worthy cars. It failed its last mot December 2010-

Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Rear Suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
Offside Rear Suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
Advisory notice item(s)
Offside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)
power steering level below minimum

It had failed its mot the day earlier too and the owner put a wheel bearing and a bush on, most have lost the love.

My plan, get it cleaned up and assess it, I want to replace both sills and have already enquired with express about new archs. It's going to be a track car so I;m not looking for perfect but I have always loved the FRP, so I may fit the FRP archs and take it from there. I will be replacing sills and archs eventually.

Short term plan is to clean up and patch where its needed, new cambelt, waterpump, power steering pump, drive belt, battery, brake lines, rear disk conversion with front fiesta ST brakes and an exhaust which is shot - will also be upgraded. Ideally I want her MOT'd for christmas, idea being the train I now get to work has maintenance for the first 6 months of 2017, with a bus replacement so if needed it would be an excellent stand in, use it for a few months and find the rest of it's niggles out before doing the serious bodywork.

anywhay here are some photos!

IMG_6126_zpss197quud.jpg

Untitled-1_zpsy1wyi1wk.jpg

Long term project once the bodywork is repaired, I would love some ITB's :)

Cheers guys

RDS1972 - some of the stuff does scare me but its a project, Ive done bodywork before and Im pretty handy with basic mechanics, worst case scenario it goes to the scrap yard :(

I like you plans and think it's all achievable :cool:

Start small and work up as you say, get it in good running order and then move up.

We have a project section here if you fancy keeping your progress documented.

Fair play. Good luck with the project, keep us informed of the progress :eek:k:

Welcome to the club!
Another puma going to be saved :grin:
Correction..Worst case scenario = me giving you better than scrap price for it :wink:
Can't have another one going to the crusher!
Welcome again
Hanz

Latest posts

Back