Replacement Exhaust

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith1961

Hello,

Have just registered on the forum and this is my first post. I have a couple Pumas at the moment, both Y reg. I've had one for a year or so and recently bought a Puma Black.

I want to replace the back box and tailpipe on the Black as the one that's on it seems like a bit of an eyesore compared to the exhaust on the standard Puma I bought earlier. Had a look under the cars earlier today, the standard puma has what I think is an original Ford back box [sticker on it with what looks a like a part number] and a chrome tailpipe, which all looks to fit neatly both under the car and the tailpipe through the recess in the bumper. It looks attractive and like it belongs, makes a good sound too.............. On the Black though, the back box looks too big and obvious, doesn't fit flush to the underneath, and the tailpipe [bit big, not chrome] doesn't sit well within the bumper recess. I've looked at one replacement option, but it just seems like the exhaust that's currently on the Black, it has a chrome tailpipe but size wise and how it looks like it will fit seems wrong. The tailpipe is not square to the box so I'm pretty sure that when it's fitted either the box or the pipe won't be square.

Any thoughts on where I might get an appropriate replacement would be appreciated.

The Black is in good condition and goes very well and I'd like to gradually improve it if possible. the exhaust seems to stick out on it to me so it seems like a good place to start.

Thanks

Hi Keith, welcome aboard.

If your looking to keep the exhaust standard I would just go to your local tyre/exhaust centre and have them fit you a new one. Don't quote me but I'm sure you won't get the chromed tailpipe on a replacement backbox.

Sounds to me like the black has aftermarket crap on it, or it's just been fitted badly! Again, if you want standard, speak to your friendly neighbourhood exhaust centre.

I guess if your feeling flush you could ring Ford? :oops:

PumaBuild has some brand new genuine Ford backboxes in stock. £70 from memory

Thanks Rob and XAF,

I've been in touch with PumaBuild but it doesn't sound like what they have are the same as the original box. Plus the tailpipe on theirs is Black, which doesn't sound good. The person I spoke to said that they maybe can get parts direct from Ford, I gave them the part numbers and they said they'd give me a call if they could access anything.

I had thought about contacting Ford direct or calling the local Ford dealership to see if they could help. Do either of you know how best to contact a Ford parts department direct? 've had look at the internet site that offers genuine Ford parts for sale, I've bought a few bits from them for the standard Puma in the past, but they don't have exhausts at all?!

Thanks again

As far as I know when Ford ordered in another batch of rear mufflers for the puma with the oval end etc..they were all slightly wonky compared to the original...black seems to spring to mind too....

The original system had the back box and center section all as one piece and it lasted for YEARS because of this...

if you send me a PM with your details i'd be happy to get a quote for you...need the reg etc... you'll need the clamp and gasket too..

Regards :cool:

keith1961 said:
[post]354396[/post] Thanks Rob and XAF,

I've been in touch with PumaBuild but it doesn't sound like what they have are the same as the original box. Plus the tailpipe on theirs is Black, which doesn't sound good. The person I spoke to said that they maybe can get parts direct from Ford, I gave them the part numbers and they said they'd give me a call if they could access anything.

I had thought about contacting Ford direct or calling the local Ford dealership to see if they could help. Do either of you know how best to contact a Ford parts department direct? 've had look at the internet site that offers genuine Ford parts for sale, I've bought a few bits from them for the standard Puma in the past, but they don't have exhausts at all?!

Thanks again

I actually have a picture of the ones at Pumabuild....

I have a good relationship with my local Ford parts department from doing up the FRP so happy to ask for you.

And to be fair, have a look at the decent brands like Bossal. Some of them do have really nice tips and the proper square origanal ribbed box

check this one out, they are also doing 25% off at the mo

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Puma_1.7_2001/p/car-parts/exhausts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/exhaust-parts/?705590501&1&ec3b1bffad098c5625a03d545bb3e394eec70bc0&000536

Thanks for the thoughts.

XAF - Thanks for the pictures, does the exhaust on the picture have a chrome tailpipe? I can't quite tell. The only exhaust I've seen on the PumaBuild site is the one with the black tailpipe, do you know where the one you pictured is listed on their site? The tailpipe on the picture looks a little bigger than I'd like maybe, but I can be flexible on that if the exhaust fits well and looks right. The tailpipe on the standard Puma I have measures 75x60mm externally and that fits very nicely in the bumper recess. The tailpipe on the Black measures 90x60mm, but if it was chrome and the back box wasn't so obvious and off square I think that size could be alright. Any info. you might be able to get from Ford would be appreciated.

TylerB and XAF - I'll certainly take a look at Walkers and Bossal. I would like to have the original part, keeping the Black as original as possible, with an original look, is a nice idea, but if not original I'm just looking for something that doesn't look like it's an afterthought!

Alfie74 - thanks for the link.

Eldude - I'll drop you a line when I get chance, bit pressed at the moment. The info. about the original coming with the centre attached section is interesting.

I've been in touch with a local Ford dealership and they have confirmed that they can get the part as per the numbers I got off the original on the standard Puma. Not something they supply often I guess, they couldn't confirm that the tailpipe is chrome, and didn't mention anything about the centre section being included but that might explain the cost being just over £100 I suppose. They're going to check further and try to get someone to lay eyes on it before they get back to me.

Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated

Forgot to ask, where's the best place to look at what's available from Walkers or Bosal??

Thanks

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/end-silencer/ford-puma-ec-1-6-16v-103hp_v16032_g3437.html

type in your reg to get price for your car

Hi Keith,

The pictures were sent to me by someone who goes to PB often and knows them well, and also knows that I love hoarding genuine parts, so it's not on their website. That's actually how they are sitting.

The tailpipe is black, not chrome but the same size and style as standard.

Latest posts

Back