Hello All

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liubice

Newbie here, I'm a Puma owner by accident, i went out car shopping with Hubby and a mechanic friend with every intention of buying an MX-5. My normal transport is my dog van which i love, but thought something small and pretty would be fun for the summer.

Well the MX-5 fell by the wayside very quickly when I realised that at over 6ft hubby could not get in it! So after looking at various soft tops, it was suggested i take a look at a Puma that our mechanic friend knew was for sale, but no-one had got round to advertising.

Well to cut a long story short, it's been a few years since i saw hubby smile so much when driving a car. So i am now the owner of an 18 year old 1.7 Puma in silver with 56,000 on the clock, for the grand total of £450. She has been owned from new by the same elderly lady who has now given up driving, and so has been sat for a few months.

On the plus side she sailed through her MOT today, and is heading to the bodyshop to get a scrape on her wing sorted (the rest of her is solid) before being taxed for the 1st of the month. The next job is changing the cassette player (it's been years since i owned a tape) for a CD player.

On the downside, i'm not sure i'm ever going to get to drive her, as my fun car for summer seems to have become his already (not sure how that happend).

:cool: sounds like you've had a great intro in to the Puma world.

Welcome to our site.

OK so photo's take as is, she's not been touched yet. Dents and rust are being started on Monday - can't fit her in to the body shop til then.

We have had long chats about her, and decided rather than playing around which was the first plan, we are going to try and get her back to the condition she came out the showroom in. So my first question, Is there any way of restoring the steering wheel, or just a case of having to buy a new one?

And now i have driven her, I can see why hubby got out with a smile on his face. Doris the dog van never makes me feel like that, on the down side i can see me adding up a few points is i'm not careful, and she seems to like being driven!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 2,243
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2,243
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,243
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 2,243
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 2,243
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 2,243
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 2,243
:cool:

Regarding the steering wheel, it's possible to have it re-trimmed by a local upholsterer or as you say it can be easily replaced if you can find something suitable.

Or it could just be the glue coming through the leather. Damp warm cloth and plenty of rinsing and gentle rubbing and it may come up a treat.

Latest posts

Back