Newbie looking for some advice 'bout the car.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViperJoe

Hi, Puma enthusiasts. I'm Jakub, 19 yrs old, living in Trzebnica, Poland (southwest). First things first - I don't own a Puma. Yet. I'm looking for my first car right now, and a decent (I think) examples of this engineering masterpiece seem to be cheap enough to buy one of them, but I'm not 100% sure it's a good idea.

So, basically, I'm asking you guys - is 1.4 or 1.6 Puma a good first car for a calm teenager, who doesn't want to do speeding and crashing the car? I know that it's sitting on Fiesta chassis, but are the different engines and stuff an issue? Am I going to be broke due to prices of parts or anything else?

I'm definitely looking forward to your replies and hope to soon join the Puma owners' community. May all your roads be wide and smooth.

My 18 year old son has a 1.4 to learn in. Its a decent car, fast enough to get a good driving experience but not over powered for a new driver. It looks good, reasonable fuel consumption. I think its a great choice for a first car.

Assuming that insurance prices are similar for younger drivers between Poland and the UK then a 1.4 Puma is an ideal choice.

Anything bigger and your insurance price will suffer and some insurance companies will not even insure a 1.7 for anyone under 21.

Modifying your Puma (even a 1.4) even with non performance upgrades will push up your insurance.

Parts prices are reasonable, sometimes very cheap if you shop around. One thing you can't escape is cambelt replacement prices as prices vary widely.

Hi Jakub! Im on your age and I got a 1.7 Puma for my first car. I will say only two things about her. First - Its a great car for beginners like us! Second - do not underestimate it!

ViperJoe said:
[post]354881[/post]
So, basically, I'm asking you guys - is 1.4 or 1.6 Puma a good first car for a calm teenager,
Hi Jakub and welcome.

Yep, both are fine, but there are far fewer 1.6 versions around than the 1.4. It's just a point to bear in mind as it means there are not many second hand parts around for the 1.6.

As others have said, new parts costs are pretty reasonable, with the exception (as always?) of things like new headlight units, etc. but those are readily available second hand at very reasonable prices. All in all, Pumas are very low cost vehicles to maintain and great fun to drive.

Bobby97 said:
[post]354884[/post] Hi Jakub! Im on your age and I got a 1.7 Puma for my first car. I will say only two things about her. First - Its a great car for beginners like us! Second - do not underestimate it!

Just out of interest - how much is your yearly insurance on a 1.7 Puma?

AshLaw said:
[post]354894[/post]
Bobby97 said:
[post]354884[/post] Hi Jakub! Im on your age and I got a 1.7 Puma for my first car. I will say only two things about her. First - Its a great car for beginners like us! Second - do not underestimate it!

It depends in which city you live about 50pounds

Bobby97 said:
[post]354901[/post]
AshLaw said:
[post]354894[/post]
Bobby97 said:

It depends in which city you live about 50pounds

What I meant was - you said that your first car was a 1.7 Puma at I assume 19 years old - was your insurance astronomical?

Sorry I though you are talking about the year taxes, about your question either I can't understand it or here where I live we don't have such an insurance

Bobby97 said:
[post]354903[/post] ... about your question either I can't understand it or here where I live we don't have such an insurance
We obviously need a native speaker here. How hard can it be? :)

Корабът ми на въздушна възглавница е пълен със змиорки - http://www.insurancebulgaria.com/motor-third-party-liability-insurance-from-lev-ins

Колко струва?

Hahaha I wish you knew what you have written :-D btw I got the question right we can pay over 3 months,6 or a full year. For 3 months its 30лв 1£=3лв so for 3months its 10£ full year x4 about 40£ or maybe less idk how much is the £ at the moment

Bobby97 said:
[post]354912[/post] Hahaha I wish you knew what you have written :-D
My hovercraft is full of eels ;) ..... all Monty Python fans know how to say that phrase in over 50 languages.

Лека нощ :)

Back