Newcomer questions

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuggsy

Hello there, I have registered on this forum as I am in the process of buying a ford puma! Firstly, apart from rusty wheel arches, are there any major things I should be looking for/wary of or is it mainly fine.
Also what sort of price have people paid to sort out bodywork issues.
Looking forward to puma ownership and getting advice from the members of this forum.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Mate
Look for the tidiest, lowest mileage fewest owner car you can afford and then get underneath the rear of the car and look for rust in:
The outer sills, the bottom of the rear inner arches (carpets need to come off for that) the chassis rail from about the front of the rear seats to the rear of the wheel arches (this is the bit that the rear beam axle mounts to). the floor pans, particularly near to the sills. When you've had a look at that check around the rear outer arches and the bottom of the front wings with a magnet to make sure they're not all filler.
Cambelt changes on time are a must so if there's not definite proof of this budget 4-£500 to get it done.
Check there are no warning lights left on the dash from ignition on to the engine running if there are it could be costly.
There are a few common faults such as HCVs etc but most are easily fixable.
I hope that helps
Barry

Welcome Stuggsy... follow Barry's advice and put up your location, folks might be able to recommend someone local re. bodywork then :eek:k:

Welcome along!

I take it you've seen the typical newbie questions? http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22

A good history of care and a cambelt change recently would be good. Buy on condition and history.

Good luck and feel free to post up links to possible cars - we'll do our best to give constructive replies! :pose2:

Welcome! Its worth a very careful look underneath just as Barry describes (I have learned that Barry on here is always right!). If the car only needs a bit of minor welding I wouldn't necessary be put off. I spent about £90 to sort out a hole in the sill near the seatbelt attachment one time.

Probably obvious but i would avoid modified cars. There a few that have been lowered & done well by owners who really care for their cars, but in the minority I would say. If it had a naff spoiler and cheap tinting, personally wouldn't go near :?

Thanks for the advice guys, went to have a look at one today which although it had a stack of receipts and was really tidy inside, especially for 137000 miles, the bodywork was really in bad order, every arch had quite bad rust as well as boot lid which put me off. I'm based in Doncaster and have a couple of others to look at hopefully that have a lot less miles and look, from the pictures anyway, a lot tidier so fingers crossed :)

Good luck with your search, looks like most of the basics have been covered here.

the only real bug bear is rust, plenty of pumas around so try and find the best one you can

Latest posts

Back