Looking for a track project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy92

Hi there,

After attending a Trackday and having a few passenger laps in one of my friends cars, I've decided it's something I need to get involved in!
My budget isn't massive, and the best car I can think of to use is a Puma!
I did own one around 5 years ago and it was a great car, but I part exd it when it developed a misfire.

So my newbie questions are;

Should the engines and gearboxes hold up to some track abuse, being that they are all 15+yrs old?

Anyone running one as a track car, what shall I look for before a buy? I'm not fussed about anything other than solid engine and gearbox everything else will likely be stripped out anyway! But are there common faults I should be aware of?

I want to buy one and have it fitted with bucket seats and harnesses for £1k max. Maybe even some decent tyres and brakes if budget will allow

Thanks to anyone that can help! :)

As long as they've been serviced and looked after properly the mechanicals will be fine. Just listen for any noises from the engine when cold (e.g. Rattles or knocks) and check the clutch isn't slipping and gear change isn't crunching. Check the sills aren't completely rusted away also.

Most importantly find out about the cambelt - if it's not been done that's #1 priority, and make sure you go to someone who knows how to do it as special tools and knowledge are required because of the VCT.

For your £1K budget you'll struggle to get anything more than seats and harnesses on top of the car purchase price. If you can find an extra £500 you'll be able to pick up a set of semi-slicks, a big brake conversion (280mm off the Fiesta ST150 if you're sticking with 15" wheels) and some second hand coilovers (AP is my recommendation). With any remaining change get a Hoffman race tube and a less restrictive air filter and you're sorted!

We got our track ready Puma with cage, decent seats, ap coilovers, 300mm brake conversion for under 1k. Downside is we got basically no history with it, but it was dead cheap so could live with it if all went tits up!

Thanks for the replies chaps! - £1k isn't my overall budget, just to get me going. Further money can be thrown at it down the line if I decide that's where I want to go! All the cars I've enquired about up to now have sketchy history so will keep looking.

From my experience I think you would do best initially to prep car for reliability,cambelt,fluids etc.Get some decent road tyres ,upgrade front brakes and get loads of driving instruction wherever you compete.With a good instructor you can knock a few seconds off a lap time.Car mods give far less results .

you could always start with a car that someone else has spent some money on to save your budget :grin:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-1-7-Track-Car-/262873301988?hash=item3d347843e4:g:RGIAAOSwCU1YtKfR

Latest posts

Back