Hi

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant laud

Anton from Cornwall. Hi all, first time I've joined an owners club and I'm no stranger to motors but the Puma's a bit of an exception. What and why did it even get passed the design stage?

I remember when they first came out, the advert on the telly placed McQueen in one and made it look like it was in a scene from the movie "bullit", so that when it was eventually released to the motoring public it had big shoes to fill.

...But it was tiny. And had a big bum

Then top gear got hold of one and Tiff Needel made both Clarkson and Wilson soil themselves by proving how well it handled thus earning it top gears car of the year award 1997.

....then it sold out to girls, hairdressers and men with alternative preferences.

And now all these years later its earnt itself a cult following and I can't get enough of the rusty little sh*t.
Mine has all the usual issues but it gets me to work and back via the back roads (Cornwall's got nice twisty roads) and apart from its bismal fuel consumption and thirst for oil on long straight runs its fairly cheap to keep. Spare parts cost pennies. If it wasn't a puma I'd have scrapped it for all the usual reasons 20 year old motors get for going to the breakers but I've still got it and intend keeping it for as long as possible.

Which brings me back to my original question. Why was it born? Its a ford. Ford don't normally do this sort of thing. Were they on drugs at the time?

They had a contract with Yamaha for 100,000 engines which were due to go into a different project that got scrapped.

So they took the Fiesta chassis and threw it in there instead, with fancy curvy body panels and some sporty accents. It was the first car ever to have been designed entirely on computer and took just 135 days to complete. It was only done this way because their clay studio was full of other prototypes and they needed to get it out of the door quickly.

So, yeah - it was a bit of a happy accident.

Hi and welcome, btw! :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back