Hi all my fellow puma owners!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! That is a nice looking car. I expect your neighbour will soon regret selling it, seeing it all shiny on your driveway :D

Welcome, nice looking motor......after looking at MOT history (sorry but I do that cos I can) suggest you get tracking done unless it has just been done.
Really like the red Puma nearly as nice as the yellow :grin:

Cambelt, water pump and idle tensioner usually the three & aux belt relatively cheap so might as well at the same time, the other stuff is getting more involved for me and am sure others better qualified can advise on. Be aware that it ain't a simple job if you are thinking of doing it yourself, in fact it isn't simple even for mechanics, there are some specific steps that have to be followed (and tools used) and for home DIYers it can be a case of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" while professionals can be guilty of "familiarity breeds contempt" i.e. they are so used to doing cambelts per se that they don't pay enough attention to the stricter procedure required with the 1.7. Good luck :eek:k:

As Greg says if you are thinking of doing it yourself you WILL need special tools (not just a timing kit) and need to read and FULLY understand the Ford TIS instructions and gates technical bulletin #036 otherwise it will go wrong. There are at least two members on here that offer their services for cambelt changes at a reasonable cost so it may be wise to give them a try.
As for rust the arches are the least of your worries as around the rear beam mount is probably the worst place for MOT failures. Looking at the bottom flange on the front side of your rear wheel arches it looks in good nick which unless it's already been painted up is a pretty good sign.
Barry

Looks really nice, you should clean your headlights. Some good info on here about how to get them looking new. Invest in a new backbox too and this car will look fresh!

Thanks again. So cambelt, water pump, idle tensioner and aux belt? I'm in Clacton, Essex if there are any users on here who are nearby and could do it. Thought I'd get a quote from Ford too out of interest.

As for plans for the car, If I keep it I was just planning to tidy it up really. Give it a service, sort the misty lights, refurb the wheels, stonechip the arches, and put 30mm Eibach springs on it as they were an option from new. Don't want to modify it as it doesn't seem right seeing as it's 18 years old this year. Not really driven it yet though so haven't dismissed the idea of later brakes. Though not really a modification. Will all depend on how much the belt costs. If it's too much I might just sell it on as is. Worried about spending too much on a car that might end up going wrong. But then I've got this telling me it should be alright. Suppose any car is a gamble. Lew

Suppose I should add my last car I put any time into was a '90 spec Mk2 Golf GTI that I spent literally three years working on and all my spare money. Worried that this might end up being the same. :-(

Are Pumas generally OK to live with?

Hi Lewis
If you're looking for a garage there's a section on here with recommendations just go to board index then servicing and repairs then garages. That should find you somewhere near. As for taking it to Ford I wouldn't as they are just as likely to make a mistake as any other garage that hasn't changed a Puma cambelt seeing as though they probably haven't done one for years.
Good luck with the Eibachs as I think they may be out of production and like hens teeth.
Barry

Hi Lewis
At the age of our Pumas the body shell is everything. If you have a good 'un the cost of repairing anything else is relatively cheap as it's a Ford. When you take it for an MOT you will get your answer whether it's worth keeping but from the photos it looks alright so far.
Barry

LewMagoo92 said:
[post]362162[/post] Suppose I should add my last car I put any time into was a '90 spec Mk2 Golf GTI that I spent literally three years working on and all my spare money. Worried that this might end up being the same. :-(

Are Pumas generally OK to live with?

It all depends on your needs & expectations. I'd say they are generally quite reliable, with the weak spots well known and well covered for advice. Make sure you keep on top of any rust issues and servicing and you got a very decent motor. Plus there's really nothing for the price to match the drive...and it's actually really decent on fuel, especially for the age...All in all they are little gems :grin:

tuonokid said:
[post]362163[/post] Hi Lewis
Good luck with the Eibachs as I think they may be out of production and like hens teeth.
Barry
Quite a few sellers advertising these kits new on ebay but don't click and buy, you will most likely have to go through the hassle of getting your money back.
The sellers don't stock them, they have to order them from Germany and the Eibach kits are not available new any more.
Best chance is to wait for a used set.

I could be wrong, but I would take that stamped service book with a pinch of salt, unless it's backed up by proper invoices. Looks to me like someone has sat there with a stamp and filled it in. Also, you'd thing that a garage which has been in business for at least 10 years would come up in an online search :?
That said, you still have a nice car at a good price :)
Paul

Paul

They advertise online with thomson local and a few other companies too. What made me suspicious was the lack of a 1 in the area code on the stamp, on the plastic sleeve in the book I found this though:

If I could get proof that it had been MOTed there I think it would probably back it up. Assuming they've just been using the same old stamp. :roll:

zinc2000 said:
[post]362121[/post] Welcome, nice looking motor......after looking at MOT history (sorry but I do that cos I can) suggest you get tracking done unless it has just been done.
Really like the red Puma nearly as nice as the yellow :grin:

No worries zinc2000. I know they're pretty sensitive to having the tracking right on them. Will put it high on my list. :)

Don't suppose any of those MOTs are from All in Autos? Trying to get to the bottom of the service history.

Thanks, Lewis

748 said:
[post]362190[/post] Looks to me like someone has sat there with a stamp and filled it in. Also, you'd thing that a garage which has been in business for at least 10 years would come up in an online search :?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=all+in+one+auto+services&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:unofficial&prmd=ivns&source=lnt&tbs=ctr:countryUK|countryGB&cr=countryUK|countryGB&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ8YfzrqbTAhVCKsAKHeYxDNMQpwUIDw

This is a 400 quid car you guys are doing 'The Suspicions of Mr Whicher' stuff on, right?

LewMagoo92 said:
[post]362162[/post] Are Pumas generally OK to live with?
Seem to be - https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=360032#p360032

Latest posts

Back