Bought myself a puma and need some advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua3299

I'll start by saying hello and that I am an absolute beginner, like utter beginner with cars in general, let alone pumas

I just bought myself a puma and absolutely love it..

I kind of bought it off a whim and was advised that it would be a fun drive and I really agree.

I started researching all about them, visiting forums and everything and eventually bought a 1.7 black 02 one. I really enjoy it but have a question.

It's related to the suspension system (I think). I'm not too sure what it is but it feels like the suspension (or whatever it is around the wheels) feels quite wobbly and rough. It almost feels like a crackling noise and it's not solid should I say. I generally feel it when going at slow speeds as when I get past thirty and put my foot down I'm in love as it just pulls and feels so smooth. It's just when going around 10 to 20 the car feels shakey and I hear noises from the wheels.

Could anyone direct me as to what it could be related to or anything they have seen before.

I really just don't know where to start

Explain like I'm 5 haha.

Could be a lot of things. Firstly check the wheel nuts are tight. Wishbone bushes, suspension top mounts, track rod ends, wheel bearing all need checking. Without actually feeling or seeing the car it can be difficult to pin point your problem. Not much help I'm afraid but you will soon get to grips with things once you start working on the car. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the reply. It's nice to see an active forum. I was wondering, is there any how to guides/tutorials on how to check the above things you listed. Like in terms of if they need to be changed and what to look for?

Do you know of any YouTube channels or forum member guides?

If I had the money I'd ask a mechanic I just want to start getting into things a bit myself

Joshua3299 said:
[post]362199[/post] Thanks a lot for the reply. It's nice to see an active forum. I was wondering, is there any how to guides/tutorials on how to check the above things you listed. Like in terms of if they need to be changed and what to look for?

Do you know of any YouTube channels or forum member guides?

If I had the money I'd ask a mechanic I just want to start getting into things a bit myself

Welcome Josh, if you look through the forum index there is a section called How To Guides, very worthwhile having a look through it, the forum also has a search function so that can be really handy for research too. Finally, if you put your location you may find you have a forum member close by who can assist? :eek:k:

Welcome and enjoy your Puma.
As already mentioned the forum has a great selection of how to guides,a lot with brilliant pics as well.
Stick a search in (top right) good place to start would be "suspension" see what comes up, if you think it might be relevant have a wade through the posts in that section.
Ask questions...most on here will be happy to throw ideas your way

Just wondering if the crackiling sound may simply be your ABS self test which the car does around 12mph if I remember correctly.
Excuse me if my details are slightly off, it's been about 5 years since I sold my Puma...not sure about that either as age decays my memory :lol:

Yea if it's just one crunchy scrape sound at a low speed. Having different brand tyres and/or different amounts of tread left on each wheel would affect the stability, but I think Trueblue is spot on where to start. Always worth looking into how to fix yourself. The more you do the more you learn. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back