Just let the cat out of the cage!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lostbarbel

Having test driven a 1.7 when they first came out I have lusted after one ever since but growing family, mortgage, practicalities and everything else got in the way. Now the kids have flown the nest, mortgage repaid and practicalities simplified three months of looking have finally paid off with a loverlee 51 Reg Moondust Silver prowler which has put more fun back into driving than I have had since my V6 Mondeo was kindly written off by someone trying to use my side of the road as a racetrack and taking out most of the drivers side. Had bought my Puma as a general run around but being in good nick with not too many miles on the clock and giving me a real sugar rush when the accelerator goes down and eating up the bends I think I'd better keep it for motoring and buy a van for going fishing and doing the inevitable tip run.
Only querie is: Want to get the cam belt changed in the next few months - what should I expect to pay? Will probably use my local Ford dealer.

Hi Mr Fisherman
Probably not best to use your local Ford dealer as they will probably let the talent and the special tools go over the years. Post your location and ask for people who know how to do the cambelt change on here that are nearby.
Barry

What Barry said!
I just recently had mine done at my local (trusted) BSG and they charged me £190 although that was for a standard cambelt.

Ford quoted me £450 last year for the same job.

Rob.

Thanks guys. Will contact a couple of garages I have used in the past. Price guide very useful - I hate being taken for a ride!

Just make sure they've done a 1.7 Puma before as it's different from other Sigmas and is easy to cock up if not done properly resulting in a knackered engine. Far better to use one of the garages recommended on this site.
Barry

As above as although my local Ford dealer was a good price they cocked it up so much it took them a further 3 days to sort it (at no cost to me I hasten to add) make sure they know what they are doing wherever you go.
BTW welcome and shame about the MondeoV6, I had a saloon ST24 superb "family" car :grin:

Thanks for the responses guys, will take your advice and ask the question when time gets nearer. Had the car just over a week now and love it. Can't believe I got such a nice car for such little money!

Welcome from another newbie to this ford lark, what did you pay, just a vague figure will do if you should wish to sell it one day on here :wink:

Hi McBandy. A mere £750. Friends can't believe you can pick up such a nice car for such little money. Have also experienced the back parcel shelf syndrome (of dropping into the boot). Think I have solved it by tapping the rubber bits on a stick as far out as I can get them so they drop into the holes provided. Fortunately the shelf itself is flexible enough to bend it enough to get the shelf securely into place. Tried taping the spiggotty things first but that didn't work!

Most of any problems with the parcel shelf have been seen before and resolved. There's a 'How To' guide somewhere which covers some of the common things.

McB - if yours has 163k on the clock I would hope not! I'm trying not to drive mine much to keep the miles down but it's a bit of a struggle.... Good luck

It does but doesn't feel like it, I've got no idea what's original and what's not but I'll see if I can find someone local who can educate me a bit on these things! If it breaks I've got the spares for it!

Latest posts

Back