New Puma owner

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan and ange's XR2

IMG-20170916-WA0000 by Dan Gearing, on Flickr

Hi all, I have just gone and bought a Puma!!

I have always liked these and have a few road test cuttings from way back when. One day I will own one...............

Having just changed jobs I needed transport to get me too and from work. I looked for ages for a cheap run-around that ticks my boxes. Then I thought.......hmmm Puma!
I found this baby, One owner from new and 50k miles!! 900quid and tah-dah........

I love it!

Good history and no rusty arches, but I did remove the inner arch covers and had a look around along with the rear suspension hangers and sills, just a bit of flaky stuff which I have removed and Krusted the area and coated in Moly coat wax for now.

IMG-20170917-WA0004 by Dan Gearing, on Flickr
IMG-20170917-WA0000 by Dan Gearing, on Flickr

What a nice car to drive, I must admit that my thoughts for it's ownership have changed from short-term run around to more longterm ownership. As soon as my XR2 is out of the garage, Puma is going in for a health check and clean-up!

Dan

Hi Dan
That looks in pretty good nick so as soon as you get the chance have a good look underneath and see if it's as good there. Pay particular attention to the joint at the bottom of the sills and the chassis rail around the rear beam mount.
Barry

Hi Barry, yep been there today. All looks good, light crusty stuff that flaked off easy. I am most impressed.

The worst part I have found so far is a small patch of corrosion on drivers seat rear bolt mount under floor, right where the reinforcing plate is welded to the floor pan. The other is a slight oil leak from rocker cover.

Clean oil, filters and plugs show a recent service. Brakes all good, aircon and heated screens work.

Are the mirrors heated??

Dan

Hi Dan
I'm not sure but I think if you have a heated front windscreen the mirrors are heated. There are lots of potential rot spots on a puma, you'll probably find that the underneath of your vin no in the floor is pretty rusty as well. If you have a look at the first 5 or so pages of my build thread you will see pretty much all the potential rust spots.
Barry

Wow, Your have done a lot to your Puma. Reminds me of all the stuff I am currently doing to my XR!

As I was doing the light clean up and inspection of my car, I was seriously considering it's future and a rebuild but over a period. I don't have the room for doing two cars! I may do the rear first as it seems to be a rust magnet here, then go forward.

I was suprised to see the front wings come off, I have not noticed that they are bolt-on. Makes life a little easier I reckon.

Thanks for the heads-up Barry.

Dan

Hi Dan
The rears is definitely the worst place for rot followed by the floors but the front end is pretty good as there's a lot of thick gauge steel there. Apart from the front wings I haven't done anything else on the front.
Barry

Depending on your MY the front wings could be welded on. They changed to bolted later on I believe at about 1.5.

Welcome to the site, glad to hear you've found one in good shape :grin:

Hi Dan
Welcome from another Newbie. My girl is just like yours but a 2001 model with nine spoke aluminiums. One of the first things I did was get it up on a ramp and have a good look round underneath. Fortunately I had a pleasant surprise so just intend to have it wire brushed and wax oiled to keep out the water. Yours look tidy too. Problem is trying not to put too many miles on them... they just love to be driven and I just love to drive 'em!

Hi Lostb, Thanks.
Mileage is gonna be around twenty a day for me as it is a work car, so unfortunately I can't prevent this. :roll:

Hopefully this weekend I am going to get front wheels off to look at brakes as they don't feel as strong as they should, pads and discs 'look' ok but maybe sliders need attention from lack of use? Brake fluid is an odd colour so that could also be an issue. If I have the time then I may change that regardless. Maybe just poor quality discs/pads.

On the whole I am most impressed with the Puma, needs a bit more punch to be picky, but what a good value motor.

Dan

red said:
Depending on your MY the front wings could be welded on. They changed to bolted later on I believe at about 1.5.

I think welded wings must have been very early, I have an R reg (built June 1998) and that has bolt on wings.

I must say it looks as if yours is in very good condition, with minimal rust.

Latest posts

Back