Fuel Pump problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallopdarren

Hi, I have just purchased my First Ford Puma, a 1.7 1999 model with 12k on the clock. The car was a PX that the garage couldn't sell as it wouldn't start when it was due to go for an MOT. They told me that the Fuel Pump had gone .
I now have the car at home and have put a new battery on it and tried to start it. All things work apart from firing - which would confirm this. As a thought I checked the fuse but there is a 30 amp fuse where is should be a 10 am fuse ? My main question is can anyone recommend my best cause of action here and also the best place to get a new fuel pump. The price range is staggering. Thanks in advance. Darren. Towcester.

Fuse may have been upgraded if the pump was beginning to fail.

Can be cheaper to buy just the pump motor if you don't mind a bit of a strip down on the fuel sender assembly.

I'd go new though - I stopped selling used as most of the ones on the shelf would end up in a similar state to the ones they're supposed to be replacing. They don't like being sat up doing nothing.

Also if you want to test the pump before the strip down you can run a wire from battery live to the middle pin of the grey plug which plugs in to the fuel cut off switch behind the carpet in the passenger footwell. Although I think you will only confirm what you already know.

Many thanks Ian. Any suggestions where to get a new Pump ? The price variation is staggering .

I have bought a new pump motor from Eurocarparts and surprisingly they actually supplied the correct item!

Luckily I usually keep all my invoices/receipts for everything I buy for my cars and found the item number...
https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/441590261

It's a bit more expensive than when I bought one at £73.19 all in!

You may find that if you ask for that to be priced over the phone it MAY be more expensive than the website prices so if you order from them, reserve it online and pick it up in store so that way you pay the website price (if it's cheaper).

EDIT: The above pump was bought for a Mk5 Fiesta and am pretty sure its the same pump for a Puma as that pump is now supplying a Puma engine and is working fine!

CherryVimto said:
[post]366829[/post] I have bought a new pump motor from Eurocarparts and surprisingly they actually supplied the correct item!

Luckily I usually keep all my invoices/receipts for everything I buy for my cars and found the item number...
https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/441590261

It's a bit more expensive than when I bought one at £73.19 all in!

You may find that if you ask for that to be priced over the phone it MAY be more expensive than the website prices so if you order from them, reserve it online and pick it up in store so that way you pay the website price (if it's cheaper).

EDIT: The above pump was bought for a Mk5 Fiesta and am pretty sure its the same pump for a Puma as that pump is now supplying a Puma engine and is working fine!

Thank you for your help.

Latest posts

Back