Bought for sprinting championship at Curborough

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flamin' 'eck

Hi everyone, I've just bought a Puma 1.7 to go into class Sb (completely standard except for brake pads and a choice of tyres from the MSA blue book). After some research I settled on a Puma because (a) they're dirt cheap, (b) they're good fun to drive (I was relying on Tiff Needell etc. to be telling me this as I'd never driven one until I bought one) and (c) they fit nicely into the sprinting class at Curborough.

Unfortunately the 1.4 to 1.7 class Sb had absolutely nobody in it last year so if anyone fancies a go, check out the championship at https://www.curborough.co.uk . I'm just doing it to get to know the circuit as cheaply as possible and may move up to the sub 2litre class in 2019 with a Fiesta ST or something as that class has quite a few in it.

The car? It's a 59,000 mile FSH 1.7 which I got for £275. The cheapness was on account of the accident damaged wing, door and slight scrape on the rear quarter panel. The deal came with a door and I've since got a wing off eBay in the right colour. Insurance was £162 as its a second car and less than 2000 miles (plus I'm 43). Just need to buy a race suit and join the club etc and it's on.

First impressions on the Puma are that its a little gutless, but handling feels good. Just a few issues to sort like a spongy clutch and I should be all set. Look out for me asking stupid questions on the forum!

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you're taking it on the track just have a look underneath first to make sure the rear chassis rail where the rear beam is mounted is not too rotten.
Barry

Hello Flamin`
I can testify that the Puma can be competitive in a mixed field, sprinting.
I wish you the best of luck in your adventure.

As Barry says, make sure it`s something like solid and go with it.
There are more than one or two build threads on the forum, take inspiration from them :wink:

I`ll be visiting Curborough for the first time to get in some pre season testing, on the 21st Febuary (Weds)
If you`re local, pop down.
Stu..

Thanks guys. The rear end is pretty solid except for the off side rear wheelarch. I've ordered a repair patch for that one so will do a build thread on all the restoration work.

Stu - is the 21st Feb an open track day? They don't seem to put mid-week stuff on the Curborough website calendar.
Cheers,
Jack

It`s Hi Jack.
It`s a private booking. A mate of mine organises them from time to time.
I`m pretty certain it`s full, but you should drop in anyway, if you can.
Stu

I work in Lichfield so will pop by on lunch hopefully. I'm after a pre season track day at Curborough to get to know the track. If you know of anything let me know. First sprint of season is 29th April. Cheers, Jack

Latest posts

Back