New Puma owner looking for info

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessharrold

Hi all,

My wife has bought me an early 40th birthday present - a 1.7 Puma! Just having a bit of work done on it and, to solve a minor-to-middling oil oeak, apparently the mechanic needs a couple of seals. One still stocked by Ford, one not. I'm waiting for precise details on what to search for, but in the meantime thought I would post to see if you wonderful folks know of a good place to source dedicated Puma parts that aren't readily available. Kev tells me that breakeryard.com is no good for this kind of part, but that he knows there is a guy in Somerset, for example, that has everything for Saabs. We are hoping that there is someone out there with a similar stockpile for Puma parts...

I look forward to finding out more about the wild world of Puma ownership through this site. A future classic, they keep telling me...

Thanks in advance!

Welcome...check out Ian G on here, he should have everything you need, in fact he probably has parts you never knew you needed :grin:

Ian G tells me that this part is available from some aftermarket suppliers in a gasket set - however, none of my mechanic's suppliers provide one with it in. There are a baffling array of Puma 1.7 gasket sets on eBay - would anyone with greater knowledge than me (mine is minimal) be able to identify a gasket set that definitely contains this part? Looks like they are expensive things to take a punt on...

Just replied to the email

http://catalogue.faiauto.com/parts/HS872 is the type of thing but yes, over 100 quid for lots of stuff you don't need.

Rang round a few dealers and they all came up blank.

I can't see that there isn't a supersede somewhere as it doesn't strike me as a particularly special size or shape but yes, bit of a punt at the moment.

Give Imex parts a callhttps://www.imexpart.com/contact-us/ they can supply most items individually, (never tried them for that particular seal) .Perhaps the seal is made by Elring or Victor Reinz.
Failing that ,measure the internal diameter, Outside diameter and thickness of your seal and search for an alternative from a bearing supplier or even ebay.

It is unusual for that seal to fail as there are no rotating parts within it. If your leaking from there and it hasn't been physically damaged , has your Mechanic checked that the breathing system is clear, if it is blocked ,oil might be forced out through the seal due to excessive pressure.

Latest posts

Back