Considering a Puma - some advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peugeot205gti

Morning all,

My daily commute recently changed from 70 to 8 miles a day and i don't need to use the car at weekends as we have a large 'family' hatch already.

I Currently drive a Skoda Citigo, which i only purchased as it was the cheapest 'new' car i could find that could also offer reliablilty, something i desperately needed at the time.

Anyway, i am now looking at something for fun again, before the Citgo i had bmw 330i, Clio 172 cup, peugeot205 gti, Renault Twingo etc, all amazing fun cars, quite different to the Skoda but i couldn't afford to run the 330i with such high miles, it caused me so many issues that car!

My heart wants the 172/182 Clio, an amazing car but i'd need to spend 3k to find a good one, i have seem Pumas for a lot less money and from what i gather they offer better reliablity and can be quite fun. Also appears to find more good examples, most of the clios have been modded, not something i am interested in.

Not overly bothered about straight line speed, more interested in a car with good handliing and character.

Do you think £1,250 - £1,500 should find me a decent one? Will if offer enough fun compared with a clio 172/182?

Ideally without rust, at least to begin with!

Whichever car i purchase, the puma or the clio, i plan to keep for many many years, possibly even as an invetment considering i'll be doing around 3k miles a year at the most.

Cheers

Hi
If you're wanting a Puma to keep rust will definitely be the most important issue for you as they rot like hell underneath particularly around the rear beam mount/inner sills/outer sills/lower rear wheel arch and anywhere within 300mm of the rear beam mount is an instant MOT failure. You may be able top get a decent Puma within your budget but if I was you I would find someone near to you who knows the cars and take them with you to examine a future purchase. As usual the best examples should be lowest mileage/fewest owner cars. Also look for evidence of a cam belt change otherwise you have a circa £400 to pay straight away.
Good luck
Barry

:cool: Welcome along, I'd expect that budget to get you a reasonable example, as above though, it needs a good inspection all round else you could end up paying premium for a car that needs a load of welding.

Latest posts

Back