Headrestraint too far back?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeekid1958

Hello Everybody

Just recently bought a 1.7 Puma and as i am tall i have got the drivers seat at its lowest possible setting. Because of the rake of the seat back i find that the headrest is way back from my head - is it just me or does anyone else find this? Has anybody tried to bend the legs of a head restraint to make it position further forward?

cheers
Pete

Hi Pete
I think you'll find that in most cars your head is not on the headrest in a normal driving position, they are just there to protect you from spinal damage in case of a rear end shunt.
Barry

Hi Barry
thanks for yr comments - these are waaaay further back than any car i have ever owned - and i've owned a few !
Nice project BTW - lots of graft there.......and, are those Pirelli calanders i spotted in one of the pics!?
cheers
Pete

Hi Pete
Thanks for your comments and I can't remember about the calenders but I'll look the next time I go in which might be in a few days as we've got quite a bit of snow up here now.
Barry

As much I know that they are 'head restraints' as opposed to 'headrests', I do actually like to drive with my head resting against them sometimes - but they do lean a long way back. I bought some after-market 'head-restraint pillows' from Ebay - but they are a bit crap, in all honesty and sit too far down, between the seat and head-restraints.

I rather lke the Aston Martin ones, as shown on this lovely thing...
https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...upe-rare-molded-flip-tail-1-of-26-lhd/8395616... I can't quite afford the head-restraints yet, let alone the rest of the car.

IIRC the head restraint should be high enough so that if you lean backwards, your head should touch the restraint, not your neck. The idea being that in the event of a rear end shunt, your head would not go backwards over the top of the restraint, resulting in whiplash.

coffeekid1958 said:
[post]367855[/post] Because of the rake of the seat back i find that the headrest is way back from my head - is it just me or does anyone else find this?
You're not thinking of someone strapped into an electric chair, like in the Green Mile, are you?

In the Puma, those ain't head rests, those are restraints to prevent your head flying off, in the event of a prang.

Frank said:
You're not thinking of someone strapped into an electric chair, like in the Green Mile, are you?

To be fair, Frank, I think sometimes I drive with a similar expression to that seen in electric chair victioms in the Green Mile - a grimmace of fear of impending doom and pain thanks to driving on Manchester's pot-holed streets and motorways in the Puma.

Latest posts

Back