Rear arches

New to ProjectPuma? Just got your first Puma? Looking to buy? This is the place to introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Divingtopps63
Model: 1.7

Rear arches

Post by Divingtopps63 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi - I’m new to this site and really need some advice I’ve got a 1999 1.7 Puma and like all Pumas the rear arches are deteriorating... As I’m keeping the car would like to get the arches repaired permanently and not just ‘plodded’ with filler
Does anybody know if the rear arch panels are available and is there a decent welder in SE Essex area Southend/Basildon/Wickford
Thanks in advance
1 x

MikeT66
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: Thunder

Rear arches

Post by MikeT66 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:37 am

Hi and weclome.

I've had the inner and outer rear arches on mine repaired - they actually refabricated the arches from steel rather than fitting ready-made panels. Two years after the repair the left-side began to go rusty again. My local chaps who repaired it initially had another look - and concluded that it is imperative to get the folded metal of the outer and inner shells tightly pressed and sealed, otherwise dirt and water collects and starts the whole process again. So, the left-side of mine was repaired again and is perfect. They warned me that the right-side may start going again due to the repair they'd done - and this winter it has. My Puma will be back with them soon for this to be rectified.

Not sure of any bodyshops in your area, but as long as they repair the arches like the second attempt on mine you should be fine.

Good luck.
0 x
Ford Puma Thunder 2002

Flamin' 'eck

Rear arches

Post by Flamin' 'eck » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:23 pm

Is it not possible to get to the inside by removing some trim and squirting it with wax? I was hoping to do that on mine.
0 x
Completely standard 1.7 Puma for Curborough Sprint Championship. Come and have a go in class Sb if yours is completely standard!

YOG
Guru!
Guru!
Model: Thunder

Rear arches

Post by YOG » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:23 pm

Have a read through this link. It has a few pics of my Puma that might help. If you don't have any rust coming through the wheel-arch yet, you may find it better to spray the inner arch joints before applying the wax:
http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.p ... opic=97645
0 x
Rick

Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) answers a lot of your questions: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5259"

S/Steel BlueFlame Catback Exhaust. Denso Iridium Spark Plugs. ST150 Front Brakes. S/Steel Braided Brake Lines. Eibach Springs/KYB Shock Absorbers. Heated Washer Jets. Internal Boot Release. Glove Box Light. 2nd Boot Light. Diadem Side Repeaters. LED Front Indicator, Front Side, Stop/Tail and Number Plate Lights. Bilt-Hamber Rust Treatment/Corrosion Protection.

Gemini Rally Puma
Adolescent
Adolescent

Rear arches

Post by Gemini Rally Puma » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 am

Hi I am new to the Puma owners club but wanted to share some images of our Puma which we are entering into this years Real Rally 2018. We have brought the Puma and are in the process of a complete refurb, We also had some rust issues on the arches. The rust fortunately is not too bad we have removed the rust and treated it now we have applied filler and once sanded to the correct profileImage
0 x

Return to “Newbie Area”