Prospective owner, Newport (South Wales)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavinfdavies

Evening all,

Thought I'd drop in an introduce myself. I'm looking to get my first Puma at some point soon. Haven't owned a car for about 10 years: after getting with the missus we just used her car, and I stuck with my motorbikes as primary transport. But my current bikes are either too nice for winter (2 of them), running on 'daylight only' MOTs (1 of them), need a new fuel tank (1 of them), or are in the middle of a major performance upgrade project (the last one).

So I thought I'd get a little run about for winter and REALLY rainy days. Looked at a little 1.25L Mk5 fester near to work, and that little engine got my thinking about other things... and led me to the Puma! :D

Well, for a few hundred extra, why not? Insurance is the same (£200 a year fully comp), economy similar. Sounds like a plan!

Still deciding what approach to purchasing to make though.

A) Cheap n Cheerful >>> Current contender is a high mile Thunder with a few cosmetic issues but 9 months MOT for only £500. If it can't pass the next MOT, then I'll break it for parts (leather, wheels, stereo, wings etc) for a 'normal spec' Puma.

B) Middle of the road >>> A good condition private sale at £1000ish, but will need to save up a bit more.

C) Nice trade car >>> Current idea is something like a Millenium edition on 12-24 months finance for a couple of grand. Should last longer than a cheap one, but will I ruin it by driving it though the winter salt? Hmmmm.

Any way, just a final note to say thanks to all those who took the time and effort to put together all those 'buyers guides' and info pages!

Cheers, Gavin.

:cool: welcome to the site !

glad you're finding the site useful. I think salt would have done it's thing by now, Pumas tend to have a lot of rust now days, just bear that in mind if looking to pay extra for a good one. A higher price special edition may still not have had preventative treatment or repairs in the 'usual' areas, so i'd say go and judge every car on it's own merits, see a few and then make your choice.

My chap is Moondust Silver- he's a LOT less trouble than the BMW E46 I had for 8 weeks before it decided to chuck it's toys out of the pram. I echo what the other guys said, this is my second Puma- I shall be refurbing mine as I want to keep it going to classic status if possible. It's true- most Puma's will have rust. It's what you want to do with it that makes the difference as the others have said. It can run in to hundreds of pounds if you don't or can't do the work yourself.

Good luck in your search and welcome :)

Well that didn't last long. I ended up with a reasonable 1.7 Thunder, but after a couple of weeks, I ended up deciding I wanted something that will hold it's value better into the future... ended up buy a 1998 Ford Mustang 3.8 V6. Not very fast, and certainly not as nimble at the Puma (which I still love) but definitely more comfortable with that big lazy engine and auto box, and a bit unusual. So I'll be selling my little Puma, despite having spent a couple of hundred on it already. Would love to keep it, but don't have space at home (town house with two spaces, and a garage with 6 motorbikes!) and can't afford a second car insurance policy. I'll be getting an advert sorted in the sales section once I've got the pictures off my phone and onto a pc.

Latest posts

Back