Oil and brakes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gripper924

Hi, first post. Bought my Puma in the summer and have taken it off the road for the winter to work on.

I've had the cambelt changed and now looking to change the oil and brake pads.

Will Mobil 1 Super FE 5W 30 do the job (currently on special at GSF) ?

For brake pads Mintex M1144 but is that for rear drum brakes also?
I want some high temperature brake fluid too - any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, I'm well pleased with the car so far!

Are you intending to do a lot of track days?Mintex pads should ba ok would just use standard shoes at the rear.Why do you want to use high temperature brake fluid it has to be changed regularly as it absorbs moisture quite quickly and dot 5 fluid is adequate for any road car with occasional track use.Just be sure any flexible brake hoses are in good condition or uprated.

DOT 5 is a silicone based fluid and should not be mixed with glycol-based brake fluids. If you change to DOT 5, you will need to fully flush the system, and possibly also change all the seals. However, DOT 5.1 is a glycol-based brake fluid, and can be mixed with other glycol-based brake fluids.
The advantage of DOT 5.1 over the standard DOT 4, is that it has higher Wet and Dry Boiling Points, in fact, they are higher than DOT 5 silicone based fluid.
Explained in depth here:
https://pagid.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Brake-fluid.pdf

Thanks for reply, so are you saying DOT4 should be adequate? I am looking at doing a couple of track days a year.
Will check the state of the hoses, good point. And will get Mintex pads for front only.
Would you go fully synthetic oil or stick to semi for a couple of track days per year?
cheers,

Latest posts

Back