hard start when cold

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeekid1958

Hi
New prob with my 1.7:
I can start the car but it requires some accelerator pressing - it splutters a bit and then starts - after a few seconds it idles well. When warm there is no prob starting.
No driving issues...goes like a rocket....idle fine when warm/hot
As i understand it the fuel input is preset by the ECU when starting so pressing/pumping the accelerator is only adding air to help the start. Has anyone any idea about direction here?...my first thoughts are:
iac valve...but no prob when warm/hot?
FPR?
Leaking injector?

oh and just had a new fuel pump installed + fuel filter (was blowing fuse & this issue was present b4 new pump - i thought the pump was the issue here)....i fear i may have to buy a fuel pressure tester kit to get to the bottom of this. Any suggestion appreciated...many thanks..Pete

Probably just the battery getting tired. They get weak in the cold as they age. Try jumping it during a cold start (Or use a known fresh battery) to see if the problem goes away.

Hi
many thanks for yr reply.....the battery 'appears' good but i'll check it...turns over really well @ mo. cheers

Hi Pete
After you do get it started and the engine has been driven a few miles eg at least 8 , is the temperature gauge sitting in the middle or in the low / i.e.lhs of the scale?
Is your temperature reading in the middle?

Hi there
Many thanks for yr reply...solid middle.....you thinking CTS?
Funnily enough reply from mmc757 suggested 'tired battery' so trickle charged overnite & this seemed to work - started without having to keep her going with accelerator pumping!...i was surprised & i am struggling to think how this can happen as the crank before was not laboured. I had disconnected TPS & MAF sensors(one @ time) before the battery charge & found no difference in the start...coincidence??
cheers
Pete

It seems to be a thing with the Ford ignition systems that sometimes if the cranking amps aren't quite high enough the starter will seem okay but the ignition system wont be putting out enough juice to spark correctly.

Hi Pete good to hear that charging the battery has helped .

If you disconnected the battery for more than 1 hour whilst charging , then when you reconnect the ecu is reset and has to relearn the idling settings etc . So maybe that has improved matters also.

Yes I was thinking of the CTS, however you have ruled that out.

I know that the car run's better with the braided earth wire in good condition that bolts to the lhs of the head to the bulkhead. That intensifies the spark also. So check that's ok as they can fray , break and have green corrosion.

Puma's are notorious for being difficult to start if you switch them off before they have warmed up fully.

I find from a cold start if I switch the key on and off a couple of times so I hear the fuel pump buzz twice , it will then start first time without needing to touch the accelerator.

DOH said:
Puma's are notorious for being difficult to start if you switch them off before they have warmed up fully.
It's happened to me. The mechanic at the local garage nodded knowingly when I told him (having had to get it towed in). He turned the key, and momentarily floored the loud pedal. It started straight away.
No charge. :grin:

Latest posts

Back