Puma vs Sportka

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Puma

Hi,
As I am enjoying my recently purchased puma just wondering how does it compare with the sportka. I am not trying to replace my puma but in addition I am considering a sportka as it also has amazing reviews.

Any thoughts?

The SportKa is a lot of fun, in my opinion not quite as much as the Puma but fun nevertheless. I do think that they suffer worse rust problems than the Puma, especially around the fuel filler.

Interior feels more cramped since it's smaller but is fine for two people or a small run around.

Not quite as good acceleration or top speed compared to the 1.7 unit, but the car weighs slightly less so it feels good still.

Good question

We (my wifes car really) had a sportka for about 5 years from when it was 5 years old. I also briefly owned a 1.7 puma.

We really loved that sportka, was such a good handling car. From memory I preferred the handling of that over a puma.
Was a bit sharper.

What let's it down though is the engine, a very outdated 8V unit. The gearing is very very low so it's quick up through the grears but on a motorway your doing about 4000rpm at 75mph.
Also high road tax and rubbish fuel economy.

Then there is the rust, by about 10years old when we sold it. There was alot of rust, the fuel cap area, bottom of the a pillars, both sills, rear wiper arm mount point, bottom of tailgate, the floor, basically everywhere. I've had an older puma and fiesta since then and neither were anywhere near as bad as the sportka rust wise.
Thing is they are heavily based on the MK3 fiesta which is the king of all the rusty Ford's.

I don't regret owning it as it was such a fun car, it's just the rust and high road tax that puts me off. I do t believe there will be many decent ones left now, (a good 7 years after I sold ours)

I missed that so got myself a fiesta Mk5 and put a puma engine in it so I now have the best of both worlds!

I have owned two Pumas and also a Sportka bought new.

The fact that a Puma is still my everyday car indicates my preference. If I remember correctly the Sportka was only 100bhp ?

Never owned a sportka but had a 1.3 since 1996.Apart from the very low geared steering(non power)I generally prefer the Ka to the Puma .I have Puma front seats in it and is far more user friendly with easy access to rear seats generally better all round vision and a split rear fold down seat.Of course the old pushrod engine is a bit lame but in 145 k miles it’s let me down once
Would imagine the 1.6 8 valve engine is also quite lame.Think both Ka and Puma suffer awful body corrosion so only advantage of Puma is gear ratios and a nice fairly revy engine with a bit more performance.

I have both at the moment, the SportKA you sit on, the Puma in, love the look of my KA, blue, no rust and all done over the years, goes really well for what it is, I prefer the Puma for looks and drive but yes, the KA is more fun in some respects, swings and roundabouts I say, KA the baby, Puma the grown up, agree with what has been said so go for a decent one, mine is, love the look of both and prefer sitting in than on. Go for it I say and enjoy like I have! :)

Finally picked one up last week. Excellent condition no rusts, handles very well but I enjoy the Puma more (because of it's engine). Unfortunately the puma got damaged (while parked) twice in a month , most likely it's going to be written off, it be would be sad to see it go. Probably have to look for another one soon.

Black Puma said:
Finally picked one up last week. Excellent condition no rusts, handles very well but I enjoy the Puma more (because of it's engine). Unfortunately the puma got damaged (while parked) twice in a month , most likely it's going to be written off, it be would be sad to see it go. Probably have to look for another one soon.

That is sad news !

Latest posts

Back