Just another newbie :)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abartonicek

I'll keep this post short because there will be plenty questions shortly after this introduction :)

So, in short about me and my honey (puma, of course):

• Name: Antun
  • Puma 1.7 '97
    70 000 miles (~120 000 km) on the clock
But picture shows more:

The car is in OK condition but I have it for whole 3 days so there are Lot's of stuff to discover and repair :)
I have discovered some faults but I'll post those questions in appropriate sections of this forum :)

Welcome Antun!

Looks like a lovely example you have found yourself there! It's nice and shiny!

Feel free to ask any question, big or small, I'm sure they'll be someone here that will be happy to help.

Congratulations on your new car!

:eek:k:

Hi Antun,

Welcome to the site! Always nice to have international users posting!

Very nice colour and wheels! ;)

Ask as many questions as you like, we are familar with most of the common problems!!

hello and welcome!

nice colour Puma you have there - be sure to post more pics :cool:

Thx guys :)
I have found some issues on my car so I'm going to write them here on the forum and I'm sure you already have the solution :)

I guess I'll write them in appropriate sections of the forum like "Under the bonnet".

OK, then I'll put some kind of list here so we all can decide together were to discus them :)

Let start:
  • Light oil leak (few small drops of oil on the ground over night) somewhere under the cam belt, at least I think it's under there because I haven't been to the garage yet.

Small power loss between 3 and 4000 rpm especially when the engine is cold. Also, when I apply full throttle engine first stalls then starts to pull.

That thermoregulator (or however is that thing called) is stuck in open position so the engine rarely warms up more then the lower limit of "NORMAL" temperature level (this doesn't really help that previous issue :)).

Fog lights don't work. The switch light is on but nothing else :(

Dashboard light has it's own life :) I think it is a poor contact because light knock above it usually turns it on :)

Right front light is not fixed the right way. I think the third holder is not holding because light can move slightly up and down (around the top two holders). I hope you understood me :)

Parcel shelf needs fixing :) Standard stuff, right :)
I think that is it for now :)
I think that previous owner or his garage were a little (?) sloppy because I found some screws loose in places that were pretty obvious like that plastics around the steering wheel. The screws were sooooo loose that the plastic kept moving around :(

Light oil leak (few small drops of oil on the ground over night) somewhere under the cam belt, at least I think it's under there because I haven't been to the garage yet.

Well with a car this age I would have expected the cambelt to have been changed or scheduled for a change very soon as the recommendation is ever 5 years or 80,000 miles which ever comes first.

Sometimes oils leaks in this area can occur because of a degraded, missing or badly positioned rocker gasket which should be replaced when then above work is carried out.

Small power loss between 3 and 4000 rpm especially when the engine is cold. Also, when I apply full throttle engine first stalls then starts to pull.

I have heard of these symptoms before and it may be worth giving the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor a clean, if that makes it a bit better then it may be worth replacing. Some people have also indicated toward the Spark Plugs / Coil Pack so both of these may be worth a check to.

That thermoregulator (or however is that thing called) is stuck in open position so the engine rarely warms up more then the lower limit of "NORMAL" temperature level (this doesn't really help that previous issue).

Are you referring to the Heater Control Valve? You are correct in that this part can fail and get stuck either open or closed. Another symptom of this part failing is that the heaters either only blow cold air or only blow hot air.

This part can be changed quite easily by yourself and isn't that expensive, again help available if you need it.

Fog lights don't work. The switch light is on but nothing else

This could possibly be a fuse? I will have to check whether anything else uses this fuse though! Failing that it could be the wiring by the lamps or the bulbs.

Dashboard light has it's own life I think it is a poor contact because light knock above it usually turns it on

Sounds like your assumption is right with this one. Do you have the digital odometer? The light on mine flashes occasionally but I think it is quite a lot of work to get behind the clocks to have a look.

Right front light is not fixed the right way. I think the third holder is not holding because light can move slightly up and down (around the top two holders). I hope you understood me

A picture may help explain this a bit better, is the fixing broken?

Parcel shelf needs fixing Standard stuff, right

We have a great parcel shelf fixing guide found HERE but if you need any further explainations then please contact Dal or myself!

I think that is it for now
I think that previous owner or his garage were a little (?) sloppy because I found some screws loose in places that were pretty obvious like that plastics around the steering wheel. The screws were sooooo loose that the plastic kept moving around

It sounds like the people have had the casing off and not tightened the bottom screws back up properly, this should be easy to resolve as there are only 5 screws around that area. Have you already sorted this out?

I'm sure that someone else will be around shortly to confirm or add to my suggestions :)

Hope this helps!!

Light oil leak (few small drops of oil on the ground over night) somewhere under the cam belt, at least I think it's under there because I haven't been to the garage yet.

I had an oil leak once, and it turned out to be the gearbox oil filler screw. It's located just to the nearside of central, facing straight to the radiator. A simple tighten stopped the leak. Never know, might be yours.

Dashboard light has it's own life I think it is a poor contact because light knock above it usually turns it on
The dash lights sometimes have a mind of their own anyway - well the electronic odometer anyway. Quite normal - if annoying. If it's the actual dash dial lights, it can be a mare to get in there and change them.

This could quite possibly be the idle control valve or the Throttle position Sensor. Look here:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That thermoregulator (or however is that thing called) is stuck in open position so the engine rarely warms up more then the lower limit of "NORMAL" temperature level (this doesn't really help that previous issue).
Does the heating work both hot and cold in the car after 10 mins of normal running? If not, then it will be your Heater Control Valve. If that's the case, it's and easy DIY job - 25 mins top, or an hours labour + £25-£30 in a garage.

The previous owner sad that the cam belt was changed 4 000 km ago so this should be fine. I don't think the rocker gasket was changed so I'll check it up.

I will clean MAF to see if there is some kind of improvement. MAF is located on that hose that connects air filter and engine, right?
I don't know when or if the sparks have been changed at all.
By that I don't mean HCV. HCV is workin fine so far :)
I think that there is a thermo-element that keeps engine at constant temperature. When the temperature passes that level, the element opens and mixes the colder water from the cooling radiator (I can't find better word for it know :))
About the fog lights... I checked the fuse box and everything is fine there but I'll check it again along with the bulbs and similar stuff.

I do not have digital odometer, plain old analog :) The main light (only light, right?) is the problem, when it doesn't work then I can't see anything on the dashboard :(

I've already found the parcel shelf fix and will try it out as soon as I get the time :)
The casing of the steering wheal is fixed. It is really basic stuff so...

Thx for your fast and helpful post Dal :)

I'll also check idle control valve and the Throttle position Sensor :)
BTW, the link doesn't work but I think I know what you meant :)
I now where those sensors are but could some tips about cleaning them or how to check their condition :)

Whoops - This thread:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A long shot for your dash lights : Try spraying some WD40 (or similar) into the twisty headlight stalk mechanism to clean up the contacts in there. Sometimes stops the main car lights coming on as well.

It's the stalk lever behind the steering wheel which controls the indicators / headlights / wipers etc

This should help:

th_steeringwheelremoved.jpg

:)

Where you turn your headlight on? You twist the left stalk coming out of the steering wheel column. On the part where one part twists and the other stays still : spray in there to clean the contacts.

Headlightstalk.jpg

Spray here:
indicatorstalk-wd40spray.jpg

This certainly was good and quick explanation :)
You mast have all the pictures of every part of the car at hand :)
Thx.
I don't think it should help with dashboard light because when the light works (after I give it a knock :)) it work for some time. I can turn the car of or turn the lights on and off and the dashboard light "follows" :)

Got most pictures somewhere - what we don't have we can find pretty fast ;)

As the contact to turn the main car lights on is in that light stalk - sometimes it can become dirty and the actual main lights won't come on. (happened to me a few months back) Worth a go perhaps just incase.

Indeed, I don't think that the stalk will be related to this problem but at least good to make note of for the future.

We do have a lot of pictures! And if we need one we don't have then we go and get it :)

Latest posts

Back