HOW TO: Retro fit Focus Steering Remote Control

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

For this you will need the later Ford CD unit, the easiest way to tell is if yours has the dial volume control knob rather then the buttons.

You also need to source a Focus stalk remote

P1010082.JPG

You dont need the green/white wire, you might aswell cut it out.

You also dont need the plastic prong that attaches the remote to the focus, i just snapped mine off.

Dismantle the steering shroud, its four black screws underneath and one silver one just below the bonnet release catch.

P1010085.JPG

Feed through wires and plug into back of unit

P1010084.JPG

Then in the plastic shroud in the suitable spot drill a hole

P1010086.JPG

Mine needed a bit of enlarging

P1010087.JPG

Trial fit the remote

P1010088.JPG

P1010089.JPG

Drill a couple of small holes for the self tappers

P1010090.JPG

Screw them into the remote then it will be attached

P1010092.JPG

P1010093.JPG

And on the vehicle

P1010099.JPG

relocated it using a spare steering column fairing i had, clears the knee by miles now

30112010071.jpg

Resurrecting an old post so apologies, i'm looking at fitting a Focus steering control to my Puma, this guide is great thanks, however the first pic of the stalk control has wiring coming out already, all the stalks I can find on Ebay are wireless, is it simple to attach new wires to the stalk ? thanks, R

RICHBREE said:
Resurrecting an old post so apologies, i'm looking at fitting a Focus steering control to my Puma, this guide is great thanks, however the first pic of the stalk control has wiring coming out already, all the stalks I can find on Ebay are wireless, is it simple to attach new wires to the stalk ? thanks, R

I was thinking exactly the same thing, all the ones i can find come minus the wires or connectors.

you ideally need the plug, at least, you could make you're own wires.

saying that if you are remotely savvy with anything like this you could knock up some form of connection into it, its only two wires and two pins

Hi all, I'm trying to connect the Focus stalk to my radio (with the round button), but need to know where the two wires need to go. Does anybody know the exact location on the back of the radio (maybe a good photo, the one in the guide is quite dark)? I have only two plugs, so the center pins are not in use.

If you have the wires tha came with the steering wheel remote controls, it is pretty self explanatory as that connector is only two wires affair and can't go anywhere but in its designated plug at the back of radio. I am not using the OE radio CD6000 (swapped for Alpine 117Ri) so can't check but remember it was very straightforward

Thanks for the help, I only had the stalk with two wires (forgot to get the connector). Eventually I found a diagram on a German Focus forum that directed me to pin 11 and 12, eureka! Everything is working fine now :p .

Latest posts

Back