Rear Inner Panel Removal Instructions with PICS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abz

Hello people, my 1st post on this forum as iv just bought myself a '99 puma for the bargain price of £340.
DSC00382.jpg

short story why i bought this:
I did previously have a BMW e36 316i coupe but due to recently starting an apprenticeship the upkeep was not sensible for me, so i needed a very cheap car for the time being and it was not intended to be a puma until http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-REG-PUMA-1-7-16V-VVTI-125BHP-TAX-GOOD-COND-OUT-/270739944293?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f095bb365#ht_1951wt_936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (if you cant see this its just the sale of it on ebay) and since iv worked on pumas before i jumped at this offer and although it didn't hav MOT i work at a place where we do MOT's so a couple of rear poly bushes and 1 brake flexi later its on the road for less then £400 inc. MOT and almost full service history, WOT A BARGAIN, best value for money iv had

If anyone wants to see some pics of the poly bushes fitted or even my BMW I do have pics just ask me.

Now the reason im takin the rear panels off is because i installed a couple of VIBE's, i got for free from a car we sent to the scrappy at work, and they sounded sh*t without an amp so now im taking them out so i thought why not take some pics since i forgot to on the install.

This is a bit long winded but very simple to do.

so heres the VIBE's
DSC00334.jpg

Tools you will need - an 8mm socket on a ratchet with an extension if possible, a flat screwdriver or a trim removal tool (TRT) and a hammer if you really wanna do some damage.
DSC00336.jpg

1st pop the back seat down by pulling both tabs in ur boot
DSC00339.jpg

if it makes thing easier then lift off the rubber seal but only one side at a time otherwise you may have problems getting it back on
DSC00337.jpg

then look under here
DSC00340.jpg

and you will see these two
DSC00343.jpg

use ur 8mm and take them both off

pop these three off with the flathead or TRT
DSC00344.jpg

pull the carpet back to reveal the last 8mm bolt/screw
DSC00347.jpg

remove this

now clamber out of ur boot and into the back seat and pull up the bench seat (it may not come all they way off but this much room should be enough
DSC00352.jpg

you should see this near the cup holder
DSC00354.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

try not to let any of these things flick away or fall cus it can be a b*tch to find

Ok, so here is what you should have taken off so far
DSC00356.jpg

now GENTLY start levering or pulling the panel off towards you (not up or down but straight off)
DSC00357.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

this is how i took care of the seal (mind you if its never been taken off it may be stuck on
DSC00359.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

now start lifting the panel around the seat, if you want to take the panel completely out the car then you will need to disconnect the seat belt at some point but i just made it longer and rested the panel in the boot
DSC00364.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

and voilà
DSC00367.jpg

some of these clips may have been left in the body or even broken
DSC00368.jpg

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

door card clips are cheap and easy to get hold of, and if they have been left in the body make sure you remove them carefully and place them in the panel before putting it back together

Re-installation is basically the opposite but here are a few tips
try not to bang the clips back on too much especially these ones under the window
DSC00371.jpg

DSC00373.jpg

line up all the clips first especially this one near the pillar between the window and the boot lid
DSC00375.jpg

apply even pressure over the point of the clips and they should just 'click' in to place
DSC00376.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

this carpet can be a bit fiddly so it may be a good idea to bring it over the panel before clicking it in place
DSC00374.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

Finally put the seats back making sure you line these parts up
DSC00378.jpg

and make sure you hear it click.

Thank you for you patience and feel free to ask questions.

Crackin guide, if i ever upgrade, but seeing whats involved im well happy with stock speakers at the moment nice and bassy once bass was turned up, will invest in a new head unit next.

Awesome guide. I would have been struggling without this as i seem to haver a short on my rear left speaker. The audio is great when it is disconnected but all speakers distort when it is connected. I need to get in there to see what the problem is and i cant believe i have to dismantle half the car to get to the freakin thing!
I would have not been happy if i had not have seen your guide. Thanks alot.

:)

Can we get this stickied under the How to section?

Nice clear pictures and quite a useful thing for people wanting to upgrade speakers or rust proof their arches/sills.

We don't sticky items in the how-to section particularly since most of the information in there is of use so it would all be stickied.

I have though moved the topic to that section.

brilliant guide thankyou i had a go at mine today b4 i saw this and got stuck on a 8mm bolt so i have got top borrow a thinner 8mm socket for this. i am putting fli 5x7s and belive they will fit straight in.

:thumbs: :eek:k: :pose2:

jason

Latest posts

Back