HOW TO:- Fitting new Clear or Smoked Side Repeaters

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longyear

Hi,

This is a really simple job but I thought I'd take pics as I was doing it anyway, and perhaps it will help anyone lacking in confidence to do any tinkering with their car :)

1). When choosing a replacement Side Repeater Kit, most go for CLEAR or SMOKED... I would personally say that smoked suits most Puma colours better and is arguably more contemporary these days. Go for a kit that is specifically for the Puma. This is what you should get. You will not be needing the black bulb holder unit at the back of this pic, but keep it as a spare:-

how_to10.jpg

2). The original repeater, in position:

how_to11.jpg

3). Remove the original lens cover and repeater unit. NOTE: the unit is removed by rotating it clockwise which is the opposite direction to how 99% of things are 'loosened' or removed! (If this guide is worth nothing else, its worth it just to point that out!):-

how_to12.jpg

4). If the unit won't budge, try some lubricant first. If you must use a tool to try and loosen it be really carefully not to chip your paintwork. Just loosen the crap away and try and twist it clockwise again. Don't lose your patience and just crack it off (unless you want to!):

how_to13.jpg

5). Gently remove and ensure unit does not detach from lens and disappear into the wing!:

how_to14.jpg

6). Hold the unit carefully in position, ready to remove the lens cover:

how_to15.jpg

7). Push and rotate the lens cover shaft, anti-clockwise this time. You will notice that there is no lens cover on the end of my shaft on the pic below. This is because my neighour wanted the lens only for his kit car, so we coaxed it off before I continued. You will have a lens cover on the end of the shaft in this pic:-

how_to16.jpg

8). Pull out the old bulb:

how_to17.jpg

9). Gently push in the new orange bulb. Before refitting the unit, you will want to test to check that the bulb is ok and the repeater works. Block the recess with something, while you leave it, because if the plug disappears into the hole in the wing, your day is going to go downhill fast:-

how_to18.jpg

10). Fit the new cover and push and rotate clockwise to secure:-

how_to19.jpg

11). Lens unit just needs securing again now:-

how_to20.jpg

12). Replace the unit and rotate, anti-clockwise this time, to secure:

how_to21.jpg

13). You're all done!:

how_to22.jpg

Now how much better does your Puma look !!

how_to23.jpg

how_to24.jpg

Cheers.

:cool: Nice guide. It's also worth noting that sometimes they're so welded in that you need to get in behind the arch liner and twist them out from the back.

red said:
:cool: Nice guide. It's also worth noting that sometimes they're so welded in that you need to get in behind the arch liner and twist them out from the back.

Or drill two holes in the front face, insert a self-tapper halfway in each and then use the protruding bits to turn the 'glass' using a screwdriver as a lever.

Yep that's what I did lol but I thought I'd suggest the less brute force way.

Thanks folks,

Yep, with the ones above I did today, one literally just hand-turned, come out, and the entire job was done in 30 seconds max..... the repeater on the other side however would not budge at first and I thought I was going to have to do what red suggested above and go into the arch liner. (I didn't have the option of just killing the old lens to get it off, as my neighbour wanted it). But after a bit of Wurth spray, and picking out the nasty green 'moss' stuff that was keeping it locked, it eventually twisted slowly and came off. As I said though, one side took 30 seconds and the other about 20 mins!

Cheers.

I plan to do this on my silver puma too and I agree overall they look better having betting contrast and complimenting colour, especially a silver car. But I must say that the nighttime distance photo above, it does look like a big tar spot pimple!

Nice guide, my black Puma is looking good now :)

Word of warning though, my OS repeater was different to the NS one. The NS one was the same as in your pictures but the OS one was bigger than the hole it was in so it didn't come out much further than a few cm. This made it a bit of a pain in the arse to change and I had a few heart-in-mouth moments where I thought it was going to fall back into the wing! That would've really ruined my day.

you only need to pull the arch liner back if it does fall in, probs take you 20mins to get the wheel off and arch liner back

Maybe so, but I'm still glad I didn't have to! Already spent the day cleaning the car inside and out, and attempting to replace the headlamp bulbs (the replacement xenons didn't fit in the end :evil:). Was getting bloody cold out there and didn't fancy being out there any longer than I had to!

from my memory I just pulled the arch liner back, unclipped the indicator and popped it through from the back.
Let you know when my car gets back as I have a new set of clears waiting to fit.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ACEparts-Performance-Lighting?_trksid=p4340.l2563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks for a really useful how to.... One pair of smoked side repeaters fitted in 30 mins...cheers

One stuck fast, windy day and four year old 'asistant mechanic'.....All things considered I thought 30 mins was OK

I tried fitting my smoked side repeaters today, one came out fine the other literally won't budge even with lubricant squirted into the edges, any suggestions?

Also with the smoked lens in i can't help but think it looks a bit dim compared to the original, anyone recommend a brighter orange bulb?

Latest posts

Back