Front wing removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severio

Ok so a few people have been asking about removing the front wings, so ive put a basic guide together..

Tools needed:
Wheel brace with 19mm socket
Jack/axle stand
Torque/star drive bits
10mm/13mm sockets/spanners
Long extension bar
Screw drivers

image.php

All the arrows look confusing I know, but represent a 10mm bolt or star bolt

Firstly you need to remove the wiper arms (13mm) an plastic cover at the base of the windscreen (green arrows)

Then remove the front grill to access the bolts to remove the headlight (red arrows) an turn the locking catch an gently pull it towards you to release it.

Now jack up the car an secure with axle stands an remove the wheel.

The inner arch carpet needs to be removed to access the bolts (blue arrow star drives)

Now I started from the door end of the wing, removing the 3 bolts inside the car were the door hinges, 2 of the nuts secure the washer bottle, this will allow you to remove the 2 bolts behind it from within the arch.

The yellow arrows are all the bolts that need removing that hold the wing on (12x 10mm nuts)

The hardest part is removing the 2 front bolts an rubber grommet that hold the wing to the bumper, i found removing 2 bolts that secure the corner of the bumper gave me more room (red circle)

Enjoy..

nice, bare in mind if you are following this early models wings are welded on

and some of the early ones that are not welded (98) are also stuck to the bulkhead with sealer as well as bolted.

Shanosburgess said:
I have 2 new wings on the way for my 99 t-plate fingers crossed it is just bolts

Shanosburgess where did you get your wings? And with what price? I need one too :(

Flying Scotsman said:
Justin Trevett said:
ScubaSteve said:
nice, bare in mind if you are following this early models wings are welded on

Where abouts are the wings welded on the early ones?

97's He must be refering to as 98's are not.

Mines an early one :-( . I have a replacement wing waiting for collection on saturday, was planning to do the change this weekend but if it requires welding will have to do it later when it turns warmer.

Does the washer bottle have to be removed? It looks rather cramped in there, especially as my present wing is dented up against the bottle. I think I'll have to saw part of it off to get a view of the rear bolts.

How do you get at the top bolt with the yellow arrow pointing aft?

Yes ,water bottle needs to be removed There are 2 x 10 mm nuts seen when you open door & then separate washer from water filler neck by pulling apart. to get to 2 yellow marked bolts(they may be covered in seam sealant)

Top yellow bolt removal , open the door and you will be able to get to it from between the door and pillar with a 3/8 drive 10 mm socket on a long extension, its above the door stay.

Thanks for the info. As my car is dark blue, the nuts were hard to see from the inside, so I painted them yellow from outside, and that made seeing them much easier.
Another problem now, though: the expansion tank needs to be moved to allow the washer filler neck to come out. From the Haynes Fiesta manual, it appears very similar, but on the Puma the clip securing it at the outboard end looks different - if there is a clip at all. Haynes says "using a screwdriver", but of course the expert author who thinks the reader knows everything doesn't tell you where or how to apply said screwdriver. The Puma has a metal tongue protruding through the plastic lug on the tank, hard up against metal pipework.
I don't want to break anything, and the days are passing... Any ideas?

I'm having problems removing the wiper arms. Is it just the 13mm bolt and they will slide of? If they don't a bit of WD40 will work? Do you just gently pull them off or is there a special technique?

Welsh Dave- Removal of Expansion bottle. It will come off without a screwdriver, after you have removed the bulkhead pozidrive screw. It is a tight fit , but if you pull the bottle vertically up , it will come off the clip.If you are unable to do that wrap some masking tape around a large flat screwdriver(to prevent scratching the paint on the retaining clip) and lever the part of the clip that has a tang/bulge in it.

Brian- You should have posted this as a separate post, rather than hijack Welsh Dave's , which is on a completely different topic, to yours. In future you will achieve faster replies as people on the forum will be aware that someone else has a different problem to solve.

Anyway, leave 1he 13mm nut on loosely onto the spindle (This prevents you damaging bonnet or smacking yourself in the face when it comes lose). Lift wiper off from screen 90 degrees,yes do use WD40 on the spindle, using the straw with the can, now wiggle the wiper arm side to side a few times & then pull vertically up. It will lift off and then remove the 13mm nut :thumbs:

Thanks, DOH. I thought a vertical pull was most likely, but there might have been something hidden by the pipes that required care.

Actually, the windscreen wipers are relevant because the arms need to come off to release the plastic grille and reveal one of the nuts. I levered them gently off with a screwdriver.

Latest posts

Back