How to clean / remove MAF sensor on 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

I got bored this morning, so I decided to clean out the MAF sensor and clean the air filter box and pipework...

You need:
-A Ford Puma :)
-10mm socket and rachet or a spanner
-Flat head and a phillips screwdriver (dependant on the clips you have)
-Aerosol carburettor cleaner or similar

This is how the car would sound with a dirty MAF sensor that wasn't working properly (I disconnected it for the video)

http://youtu.be/lIyX4XJ68iE

To remove it:

Step 1. Disconnect the battery
f78a605d.jpg

Step 2. Undo the jubilee clips on the air filter pipe
291a8d97.jpg

c1007807.jpg

Step 3. Remove air filter pipe
d33a5f7f.jpg

Step 4. Remove the MAF sensor wiring plug. (press the middle of the metal wire clip in to release the plug)
553270c8.jpg

Step 5. Pop out the locating joint on the bottom of the air box
af20dfff.jpg

Step 6. Pull the air box securing strap off
2a41a92e.jpg

Step 7. Pull the air box lid off, this will be attached by either 4x screws/torx bits
11e0055b.jpg

Step 8. Remove the two screws holding the MAF sensor to the air box lid
f2613c73.jpg

Step 9. Spray carb cleaner in the small hole with two small wires in, clean the part inside and outside too, so that it seals nicely.
216f46e2.jpg

Step 10. Rebuild in reverse order
4320e9dc.jpg

Hope this helps someone :)

Lee

Interesting...........did you have a problem with your Puma's running before cleaning it or notice any improvement with its running or MPG once you'd cleaned it?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of cleaning mine and the lamda sensors in the exhaust to see if there is any noticeable improvement in its running or MPG (not that there's a problem with either)!

:? :? :? :? :? :?

I cleaned my Puma's MAF again and it was quite dirty even I had cleaned it 6k km ago. Last time the other wire didn't get 100% clean and 50% of was left dirty. Cleaning MAF now again made no difference. Does anyone have any ideas what to do? First time I used the whole 200ml can to the MAF, but it made no difference compared to that what was accomplished with just few sprays. Puma runs nicely even this way, but I thought that it would be nice to have MAF 100% clean.

GqoUokg.jpg

I used 3M carburettor cleaner and the wires were shiney sliver! After carburettor cleaner used some brake cleaner to degrase everything (carburettor cleaner leaves a lubricating film, similar to WD40) and it worked a treat! Idleing now rock steady at 875 rpm, the engine feels livelier

Wild E. Coyote said:
I used 3M carburettor cleaner and the wires were shiney sliver! After carburettor cleaner used some brake cleaner to degrase everything (carburettor cleaner leaves a lubricating film, similar to WD40) and it worked a treat! Idleing now rock steady at 875 rpm, the engine feels livelier
Thanks for this! In fact I was just about to post to this thread because earlier today I read from some random forum that someone cleaned their dirty MAF with Q-tip so I tried it too. I soaked Q-tip's head with CRC Air Sensor Cleaner and then carefully wiped the dirt of. After that I sprayed cleaner fluid to the MAF. The dirt which was stuck came off and car seems to be working better than ever so apparently I didn't brake my MAF. If someone tries this too, remember to be exremely careful with the Q-tip.

Is it necessary to disconnect the battery or can I just remove the plug which connects to the sensor and can I use oil and dust cleaner to clean it or I need some kind of specific spray? Thanks!

No need to remove battery. I suggest that you use MAF cleaner fluid, so there won't be any problems. Though many have used brake cleaner, but I advice not to. Just ask MAF cleaner fluid from the shop

great guide, just followed it (without disconnecting the battery or removing the airbox lid - not necessary, it was easy enough to get to the screw under the sensor)

Back