How To: Dismantle and Re-assemble a broken door mirror

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj2013

Hi all,

There's a small guide in this section that very vaguely explains this process, but there's always room for photos. This guide is for electric heated mirrors but should be similar for others.

That guide also refers to buying parts to fix - I found with mine that it wasn't necessary so this guide might be useful for a free fix!

My mirror fell off recently when I brushed past it. The casing had parcel tape marks on it, and a small country worth of clear silicone was stuffed in both sides of the mirror, apparently it had been holding it on somehow!

Step 1

The door mirror itself is bolted to the door via 3 x 8mm bolts. You should really remove the door card to do this successfully.

See Marcus000's thread here for help:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9547

Once the mirror is off, you need to easy the glass off. You'll see that this is held on by a flexible tab at each end - be careful as these are quite easy to break.

e0u0.jpg

You also need to pop off the spades for the heated glass (if applicable)

Step 2

Unscrew the mirror cover. This has been done in this photo, I have removed the 2 screws, at 12 o'clock and 5 o'clock on the bracket.

ytts.jpg

Step 3

Remove the retaining spring on the back of the bracket. I wouldn't bother with pliers, it doesn't end well!

I use a flat bladed screwdriver to lift the spring off and back on again, as per the pic

k1pn.jpg

Step 4

With the bracket separated, if your mirror wasn't attached when you started you should be able to lever the black inner hinged bracket outwards and find something similar to this

wx6a.jpg

If you're lucky, this won't be broken (like mine). The person who bodged it must have missed that it wasn't broken, but perhaps a little worn?

6m2t.jpg

If it's detached, you need to pop the metal bracket back in its locating tabs as per below.
vgc4.jpg

There's also a little clip held on with a spring that you might need to clip back in place to get it to locate on the other bracket (it acts like a 'hook'), seen here from the rear of the bracket

ocx8.jpg

Step 5

Now is a good opportunity to give the mirror casing a respray, or as I did, a good clean. I used a claybar to get all the glue off, then applied a bit of AG UDS (mainly just for the smell :p )

ltg5.jpg

bi3c.jpg

Step 6

Refitting is just a case of doing the same as above in reverse. The door mirror casing usually has to go on as it was removed, with a 90 degree twist involved.

Once you're done, hopefully you should have a free, fixed and freshly polished door mirror :lol:

vmzv.jpg

Great guide! I've actually been meaning to look at my slightly wobbly mirror for a while - got no excuse now! :thumbs:

It was an easy job to do if you're careful and methodical.

I did read that people say they don't quite seem "right" after they've been taken apart, but mine seems good as new now :)

Not sure why the images aren't working but good descriptions - can't wait to give it a go when the weather eases up!

Latest posts

Back