how to fix front ABS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonskull13

hi i had problems with my drivers side abs so took photos to help you;please read through before trying to do this so you are fammilier with the components to work on;

first theres a 8mm head bolt with a 6mm shaft i could not do this how ever hard i tried as bolt started to round of to do it myself i would need some sort of blow tourch and something cold to crack the nut off this would have cost about £15 off ebay. So i went to a good garage and they undone the bolt for £10 then left it in but loose so i could take it off later. Then got car home and started to do it;
first disconnect the battery

first turn steering wheel full lock turning left;
Then get a screwdriver to remove centre cap;
now loosen wheel nuts slightly and jack up front drivers side

now take wheel off;

now you should be able to see where the old abs cable is:please make sure to undo the nut first.

now after i undone the one bolt i had problem with, i got a chisel and put it where the curve is and smashed it off, this dosent matter because this will be replaced be carefull not to bend or hit the ring the abs gets its magnetic feild from. you probably will leave some of the old abs in the hole you can dig this out with a flathead screwdriver.you can see the wire coming out of the hole and the rest of the old ads cable dangeling;

now you can see theres just a bit more copper wire in there to get out;

after all the copper has come out you will be left with a plastic ring that used to go around the copper wire. Get this out with screwdriver or something else and you should be left with the hole for the new abs to go in you will probably have to file the hole as it s rusty and rust is bigger than new metal.this took alot of doing. once it is ready to go in i put a bit of vasaline in the hole as a lubricant. I did tap it slightly with a mallet to knock it in then got the bolt and tightened it in below you can see the new abs in.

now to clip it in place you need to unscrew the two starhead screws on the left of the suspension and a small philips head screw inside the wheel arch, you dont need to take all the wheel arch carpet out as its just the back you need to get at.

Then unclip the rest of the old cable and clip in the new. then its just pull white connector apart, put some vaseline in (to waterproof the connection ) put carpet back in with the 2 starheads and 1 phillips. Now it should look like below.
this is a picture of the old abs

and a close up of the end i smashed off

then just put the wheel back on and reconnect the battery and now when you hit 12mph abs light should go out as it resets itself. mine worked fine just havent had chance to take photo of the dash yet
hopefully this will help people out.

happy pumaring
jason

p.s.i took these on a decent camera if you have a touch screen you can zoom in fo clarity.

please note i have put this on to try and help people with this issue and cannot be blamed if someone gets it wrong thankyou.

Thanks for taking the time to post! I'm sure it'll help people :eek:k:

I've moved it to the "how to" section along with the other guides.
:thumbs:

Latest posts

Back