How to: Bypass Seat Belt Pretensioner

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil19815

This is my first guide so please go easy.

What's needed:
1x Capacitor 0.47uf 50v. (available cheaply on eBay)
1x soldering iron and solder
1x crimping pliers
1x Electrical Tape
1x Shrink Tube

What to do:
Once the seat has been removed you will be left with the yellow clip connector. This will have a purple and black cables connected to it. (purple = positive, black = Negative)
[image]5436[/image]
Take your crimping pliers and take off the the connector. (remember to leave enough cable with the connector so it can be reconnect in the future if needed).
[image]5428[/image]

As you can see from this picture the Airbag Light is still active so we now need to add the capacitor
[image]5429[/image]
I twisted the wire from the around the capacitor connections. Note that the negative connector should be marked on the capacitor and that this is connected to the black wire. (positive to purple)
[image]5430[/image]
I then soldered the connections in to place.
[image]5432[/image]
Now put your key back in the ignition and turn on the ignition and the Airbag Light should now go off. :)
[image]5433[/image]
To tidy I used electrical tape to cover the exposed wires so that they do not short. I then sealed the capacitor and connections inside a shrink tube and tucked it under the carpet for safe keeping.
[image]5434[/image]
[image]5435[/image]

I hope this helps.

Thanks. I couldn't find it and luckily my neighbour is an electrical wizz. Saves an MOT failure or ripping out the dash to take the bulb out.

Cheers Neil....next time I;ve got a day off I'll give it a go.... :thumbs: :thumbs:

Hi Brian

If you bypass using the above guide it should not affect the Airbag and pretensioners system relies on a feed back signals. As the system is getting all the correct signals from the removed pretensioner then all other systems should work fine.

I am running only an original passenger seat (as I have removed my steering wheel and have no passenger airbag.) and have seen no issue since making the change.

I would like to say that I am not an electronics expert so if you want a definite answer I would advise talking to a mechanic.

Cheers

Neil

I assume they would remain working other than the area you'd bypassed of course!

A similar thing was done on Puma with 2 air bags if they needed to disable the passenger for any reason, the driver continued as normal etc.

As the ABS/Seat Belt light not going out is now an MOT fail - I had to go see an auto electrician (wish I'd seen this first -would have saved me £60).

I changed the original cloth interior for leather and obviously the clips are different so they had to be cut off and have resistors applied.

It doesn't stop the seat belt pretensioners or airbag from working - it just puts the light out.

Glad I spotted this. Now I don't have to have the old pretensioners sliding about under my seats :lol:

On a similar note; is there a way of doing this for the steering wheel airbag? I want to fit an aftermarket wheel but will need to keep the light off somehow.

Hi TGplayer1
I have replaced my steering wheel with a omp wheel from Ybracing. They also sold me the boss and that comes with the correct fitting to bypass the Airbag warning light.

http://www.ybracing.com/omp-od1960fo541-fit01-omp-steering-wheel-hub-boss-kit-for-ford-puma-all-97-%5Bod1960fo541%5D.html

I think somewhere on here is the specification for the resistor, I've never tested that so can't verify that it works though.

went to my local supplier to get the parts needed and they came back with

" You don’t say if you need polarised or non-polarised and what lead configuration "

now i'm stuck lol

The image above seems to suggest radial (i.e. two legs out of one side) non-polar.

Latest posts

Back