HOW TO: Replace bearing - AUX belt idler pulley

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryVimto

Parts required: 1x 62032RS bearing (40mm in diameter, 12mm width and has a 17mm diameter center hole). I personally recommend either NSK or FAG brand bearings.

This is a very simple job and doesn't take very long to do.

With the idler removed from the engine we need to remove the retaining clip from the back of the bolt.
I found this does not properly screw off up the threads without a little help. To remove it I put a pair of locking/mole grips on the bolt and used a pair of long nosed pliers to turn the retaining clip while slightly pulling it up towards the end of the bolt. Holding the mole/locking grips acts as resistance/leverage against the pulling of the retaining clip to ensure it moves up the bolt.

That is the basic way I did it. You may find an easier way to do this as we all have different tools and different ways of doing things.

Once all is dismantled you should have this:

Place the pulley over something so the bearing can removed and knock out the bearing with a suitably sized implement like a socket.
Remove any dirt from inside the pulley where the bearing seats.
Knock in new bearing with a suitably sized implement like a socket. It must be knocked in against the outer edge of the bearing race NOT by knocking the inner part!

Once fitted you should have a nice new bearing:

Reassemble the parts in reverse order.

Latest posts

Back