Converting headlights for european driving

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike.

Refer to this video on how to remove the light, while following directions below

VIDEO HERE

- open bonnet
- remove the centre grill (2 screws)
- remove the screw on top of light on wing
- remove the screw on rotating clip
- rotate clip to open position
- wiggle out light, unclip drain hose, and unplug the connector
- protect lens, move aside the two silver clips, and remove rear cover

OFFSIDE

locate the silver lever as in this picture
[fullalbumimg]1215[/fullalbumimg]

To convert the Offside lamp unit. The the sliver shutter clip must be moved down and across to lock it into position (arrowed). On some vehicles the clip may not stay in position by itself. In his case the clip can be held in place with a small self tapping screw being inserted into the shutter clip channel.
[fullalbumimg]1216[/fullalbumimg]

NEARSIDE

locate the silver clip as in this picture
[fullalbumimg]1217[/fullalbumimg]

To convert the Nearside lamp unit. The the sliver shutter clip must be moved down and across to lock it into position (arrowed). On some vehicles the clip may not stay in position by itself. In his case the clip can be held in place with a small self tapping screw being inserted into the shutter clip channel.
[fullalbumimg]1218[/fullalbumimg]

- refit rear cover, using two metal clips
- plug in wiring connector, good idea to clean with switch cleaner
- locate drain hose in clip
- wiggle light back in
- rotate catch
- fit the 2 screw
- refit grill & its 2 screws

Handy handy! Nice one spike.

Doesn't take 5 mins whilst you're waiting to get on the Ferry :eek:k:

Frankly the dipped beams on the Puma are so poor I didn't used to bother with the conversion. I just wound the level adjuster back a bit and never had a single 'flash' in several trips.

XIIVVX said:
Frankly the dipped beams on the Puma are so poor I didn't used to bother with the conversion. I just wound the level adjuster back a bit and never had a single 'flash' in several trips.

Good thinking as the other option, although better, takes more than any 5 minutes...lol

Just turn the headlamp leveller right down to number 2 or 3 and I guess your right in saying no one should be dazzled.

I've been flashed doing that. It also helps to have them at their normal positions if it's raining etc.

Nice Spike, handy little guide!

If I ever drive to Europe in the Puma I will be switching them over!

Some more pictures of the shutter in question in both positions. This is what the little clip is moving:

From the bulb side - UK mode so it has a corner then down to the right. When the beam goes though the lens ahead of it, it turns it upside down, so will be up and left - shining light to the nearside of the road and upward - dazzling oncoming European traffic:

(Click to open a new window with larger image)

[albumimg]1220[/albumimg]

With clip moves, a little silver shutter pops up creating a flat line of light, hence no upward light to the nearside:

[albumimg]1221[/albumimg]

From the front side and to the right

Shutter down for UK driving:

[albumimg]1222[/albumimg]

Shutter up for European driving:

[albumimg]1223[/albumimg]

You could drive in the UK with them still modified, it's just you won't get that upward light to the nearside.

Reviving this how to with a simple question: does this mean that puma headlights for UK and the rest of Continent are THE SAME and the only difference is in that lever postion?

Could be handy to know if I hit a deer again.... :shock:

Cleaned my non UK headlamps the other day and they are reversed (Other model of headlights) they have the little flap. In normal operation its not interfering with the light.

Something is blocking my nearside headlight in. Try as I may, I can't lift, pull or wiggle it out. The obstruction is out of sight (naturally) under the bottom nearside corner, and the unit pivots around it
Removing the bumper, a major pain in the bum, may be the only way to get at the obstruction, whatever it is, but first, has anyone else had this problem and solved it without such drastic action?

Have you rotated the front catch 90 degrees after removing the screw from it (as in the video)?

Latest posts

Back