Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking)

This section will mainly be used to provide useful guides for everything from changing your steering wheel to fixing that damn parcel shelf!

Moderator: Moderators

Cherie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Model: Other

Re: Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking)

Post by Cherie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm sorry, I don't know enough about the alarm to be able to answer that. I don't if the fact that the alarm isn't technicaly deactivated will affect being able to program it or not.

Possible someone changed the ignition barrel and petrol cap lock then...
0 x

barkerlad83
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: 1.7

Post by barkerlad83 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:51 pm

right i have just tried the 3 button method everything worked well got the fog light on held a button no second beep or light flash, then tried it again this time with just pressing the button once still no joy....any ideas?
0 x

sn202
Model: Thunder

Post by sn202 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi all,

I have an 02 thunder. Have tried 3 button method 2, I had the first beep and fog light come on, pressed a button on the fob had the second beep/flash. The lights went off after about 10 seconds but the fob still doesn't work. The key must be ok for the car to recognise the button click and get the second beep?

Any ideas? Do I need to disconnect and re-connect the electrics on the drivers front corner like suggested?

Cheers,

Si.
0 x

johnsbegood
Adolescent
Adolescent

Post by johnsbegood » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:16 pm

just programmed my sisters 1.7 51 plate with the three button remote. its quite a confidence boost when something like this works. :grin:
just need to sort her interior light now as the door switch doesnt seem to work after having some repairs done to the front wing!!
cheers
Paul
0 x

pipcars
Adolescent
Adolescent

Post by pipcars » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Just sorted mine out, replaced bonnet switch, reprogrammed key with new batteries, all working :grin: just need to sort HCV :roll: Thanks for the guide :)
0 x

joseq7

Post by joseq7 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:26 am

Help !! I am well and truely stranded.
I have a 2000 X reg 1.7.
I have never been able to open the doors manually with my 3 button fob key but it will work manually for the boot - yes bizzare.
I have only ever had one fob key for the car and no other "manual" key.

My key fob has died.
I changed the battery, naively assuming that was all that was required.
I now know it needs to be reprogrammed.
The key fob has an "eye" so that means it's IR. Yes ??

Question 1 : Should the "eye" on the fob light up when you press it after changing the battery ? Just like the LED does on a sky tv remote? The "eye" does not light up when I press it after changing the battery. Is it dead or have I just not got the correct contact. The battery is defo a live battery - I have checked it. I don't want to bugger about with the contacts until someone confirms that "yes it should light up".

Assuming... it DOESNT need to light up I have tried one or two of the programming suggestions but when I turn the key to position II as in "Put the key in the ignition and turn it to position II and back to 0 four times quickly but steadily, but must be within 6 seconds)" the alarm goes off and the hazards flash. The LED beside the clock just flashes on and off like it usually does - it doesn't stay on as in "When you remove the key the LED on the clock or the rear fog light switch (bizarre, but there you go) should light up constantly" and I can't hear any bleeping - above the sound of the alarm - which I never knew I even had !

Bearing in mind I cannot manually get in to the car - other than climbing in thro the boot which makes the alarm go off when I open the doors from the inside. I am well and truely stuck.

Any advise is appreciated - also sniggering is allowed - why not it's Christmas :))

Alan B.
0 x

red
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by red » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:20 pm

I don't think they light up, much like a TV remote.

These are the instructions you should be attempting..
Two Button Remote

1. Put the key to be programmed into the ignition and turn to position 1.
2. After approximately 10 seconds the alarm light (next to the clock) will stop flashing and stay lit. Programming mode has now been activated.
3. Return the key to the 0 position and remove fron the ignition.
4. Aim the remote at the infrared sensor above your rear view mirror, press and hold the lock button.
5. Once the led on the remote has flashed, press the unlock button 3 times and release both buttons after a final 4th push, all the while making sure the remote is aimed at the infrared sensor. The light on the remote and on your dash will flash about 4 or 5 times to indicate the programming has been accepted.
**repeat steps 4 and 5 to program additional remotes**
6. To end programming mode, put the key back in the ignition and turn to position 1 and wait for lights to go out. Remove the key, wait and then test.
0 x
FRP#0201 (2000) 2009-2011
Melina Blue (1999) 2006-2009
Moondust Silver (2000) 2006

YOG
Guru!
Guru!

Post by YOG » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:26 pm

If you have a "3 Button Remote", it is RF, not IR! I don't think you're using the correct programming.
0 x
Rick

Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) answers a lot of your questions: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5259"

S/Steel BlueFlame Catback Exhaust. Denso Iridium Spark Plugs. ST150 Front Brakes. S/Steel Braided Brake Lines. Eibach Springs/KYB Shock Absorbers. Heated Washer Jets. Internal Boot Release. Glove Box Light. 2nd Boot Light. Diadem Side Repeaters. LED Front Indicator, Front Side, Stop/Tail and Number Plate Lights. Bilt-Hamber Rust Treatment/Corrosion Protection.

red
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by red » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Good point YOG.. now actually what I'm confused about is how it's a 2000 X reg has a key with an eye at all??
0 x

joseq7

Post by joseq7 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:43 pm

thanks for your replies red and YOG

it is a 3 button and when I take the detatchable bit off there is a glass "eye"

I haven't had the car from new and can't expand on the history of the key

Alan B.
0 x

YOG
Guru!
Guru!

Post by YOG » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:09 pm

That's the transponder chip.
0 x
Rick

Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) answers a lot of your questions: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5259"

S/Steel BlueFlame Catback Exhaust. Denso Iridium Spark Plugs. ST150 Front Brakes. S/Steel Braided Brake Lines. Eibach Springs/KYB Shock Absorbers. Heated Washer Jets. Internal Boot Release. Glove Box Light. 2nd Boot Light. Diadem Side Repeaters. LED Front Indicator, Front Side, Stop/Tail and Number Plate Lights. Bilt-Hamber Rust Treatment/Corrosion Protection.

joseq7

Post by joseq7 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Thank you for clarifying YOG.

So...if it's the RF 3 button instructions I should be using......then my problem is I can't turn the key to Position II without the alarm going off and the neighbours are starting to get a bit pissed off
0 x

red
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by red » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Yep I recommend method 2 since I wrote them and it worked for me. Regarding the alarm your key should be able to de-activate it with the key in the door I'm not sure how you will get around this :-(
Method 2 - Three Button Remote 1999MY (Tested)

1. Insert the key into ignition.
2. Turn the key to position II and back to position I - 4 times in quick succession (within 3 seconds)
You should be end up at position I
3. You should hear a beep and the rear fog light switch will illuminate
4. You now have around 10-20 seconds to press any key on the fob
5. You will hear a second beep and the indicators will flash (as if you've hit the hazard light switch briefly) to confirm your key press has been registered.
6. Wait for the rear fog light switch to go off.
7. You should now be able to lock/unlock/open the boot.
8. Get out of the car shut the door and try it!
0 x

joseq7

Post by joseq7 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:38 pm

thank you red - do you think that there's any chance that this method will work when the alarm is blaring or does it sound unlikely :(
0 x

PhilLew
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Post by PhilLew » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:42 pm

joseq7 wrote: Bearing in mind I cannot manually get in to the car - other than climbing in thro the boot which makes the alarm go off when I open the doors from the inside. I am well and truely stuck.
Yes you are!

It sound like the door locks might have been changed at some point in the cars history and by always using the remote of the ignition key to access it, the key that matches the locks has been lost!

I doubt you will be able to reprogramme the key with the alarm set.

First suggestion (which you've probably tried already) would be to make sure the locks aren't just stuck or gummed up through lack of use. (plenty wd40 to flush them out and work the key back and forth/in and out to free them off)

Secondly, (I don't know if this will work but hopefully someone on here will)
could you trigger the lock from inside the door? by accessing the car through the boot, (muffle the alarm if you can) open the door remove the door card then open the window, close the car and lock the doors to let the alarm reset, then once it's reset reach in through the open window and trigger the lock that way thus unseting the alarm??? (you might have to improvise with a piece of string or wire to get around the window glass)

Good luck :-)
0 x

joseq7

Post by joseq7 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:08 pm

I salute you PhilLew for taking the time to post

As you have surmised I have tried the wd40 - the "lock" does seem to "click" but it does nothing to the central locking - it stays well and truly shut.

I will have a go at your suggestion - my immediate thinking is that it might work - it does seem to have a certain logic about it and might trick the alarm.
The alarm blares for about 30 secs and the hazard lights go for about another 5 mins - I also think I spotted some red lights on the side lights but I may have been imagining it in my panic.

oh.....forgive my ignorance but what are you calling the "door card".

Alan B

ps greetings from sunny Paisley
0 x

PhilLew
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Post by PhilLew » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:23 pm

The door card is just the panel that covers the inside of the door usually held in place with screws behind the handles and hidden clips etc so good luck.

I'm new to the Puma, just bought my first one at the weekend but i've had loads of old cars over the years and lots of improvised fixes are fairly generic.

ps I'm working in Paisley tomorrow!!! small world :lol:
0 x

yippeekiay
Project Elder
Project Elder

Post by yippeekiay » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:35 am

Not sure why you would need the door card off but FYI, when I first got my car I was checking the operation of the alarm and I opened the drivers door from the inside by going through the open window technique as the suggestion above and it set off the alarm so I'm going to say this won't work in disabling the alarm unless I'm reading the technique incorrectly.
0 x
584858495850PUMAImageRX8Image
Meet(s) Attended:- 2008;- Dec-Gateshead 2009;- Jan-Yorks' D, Mar-Leic', Apr-Derby D/Alton T, May-FITP, Jun-Chats', Jul/Aug-Euro Tour, Aug-Hi Force 2010;- May-Nurb'. Aug-FF. Sep-NE Mini Meet 2011;- Feb-Martin B'day, Apr-Nurb1', May-POD(WON), May-FITP, Jun-Nurb2', Aug-FF, Sep-Sheffield, Nov-Stafford(RX) 2012;- Sep-Sheffield 2013;- Mar-Rockingham Next Meet(s):- 2013;- ?????

joseq7

Post by joseq7 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:09 am

yippeekiay.....I haven't tried PhilLew's suggestion yet.

I thought it might work as I would be deliberately setting the alarm off by opening the car from the inside after going in thro the boot but putting the window down then getting out of the car and reaching in to manually lock the central locking then wait for the alarm to reset and then unlock the central locking by reaching in thro the open window again.

However after your post I'm thinking it doesn't matter if I'm inside the car or outside it when I manually unlock the central locking. I haven't been shutting the boot after me when I've putting trying the methods suggested. Does this make a difference to the alarm?

Of course it's the alarm blaring that is the most annoying thing - I've been waiting for the old bill to pull up behind me after one of the neighbours has reported a burgalar.

I know under normal circumstances I can manually lock and unlock the central locking from the inside.

How the bloody hell do I trick this stupid alarm!!!
It's a shame the boot isn't part of the central locking and disables the alarm.
0 x

yippeekiay
Project Elder
Project Elder

Post by yippeekiay » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Ah......I see what you getting at now. Could be worth a try but not sure if it will reset/switch off the alarm.

Had a quick look in my manual and you can take out the alarm flasher relays. Then you could disconnect the alarm horn which is behind the drivers side rear seat 'door' card. Obviously check that everything else still works as I can't see if they are a part of any other electric system in the car.
0 x
584858495850PUMAImageRX8Image
Meet(s) Attended:- 2008;- Dec-Gateshead 2009;- Jan-Yorks' D, Mar-Leic', Apr-Derby D/Alton T, May-FITP, Jun-Chats', Jul/Aug-Euro Tour, Aug-Hi Force 2010;- May-Nurb'. Aug-FF. Sep-NE Mini Meet 2011;- Feb-Martin B'day, Apr-Nurb1', May-POD(WON), May-FITP, Jun-Nurb2', Aug-FF, Sep-Sheffield, Nov-Stafford(RX) 2012;- Sep-Sheffield 2013;- Mar-Rockingham Next Meet(s):- 2013;- ?????

joseq7

Post by joseq7 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:39 pm

yippeekiay.....thanks for taking the time to have a look in the manual.

fortunately I have another ( vastly inferior ) car to still get me out and about.

I am going to try PhilLew's suggestion and I am going to ask my local Puma friendly mechanic if he can help program the key - he has had 4 Pumas so this has bound to have cropped up.

I just can't see the design logic in the key programming going blank once the battery dies - kinda annoying.
0 x

PhilLew
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Post by PhilLew » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Just to try and clarify,
my idea was to access the back of the lock from inside the door not just pull the handle, you already know that sets off the alarm.
Unlocking the car from the back of the door lock MAY turn the alarm off.

I don't know if this will work or not but it's worth a try until you get any better advice :grin:
0 x

gibbo

Post by gibbo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:58 pm

hello, all and anyone who will help. 98 puma 2 button remote. i think battery is good. the light on the fob comes on (usually) when i press button and hold for half a second? Tested battery also seems good. Has not worked remote central for some time. went through steps to re-programme. The flashing light goes solid, but when i go through the procedure of pressing buttons, while pointing at infa red, nothing happens? the light will not go back to flashing? I dont quite make sense of this phrase (ie you are never holding BOTH buttons)
press the unlock button 3 times and release both buttons after a final 4th push?
non the less, i cant get passed the part, when the light goes solid.
i need help from one of you clever helpful people.
0 x

YOG
Guru!
Guru!

Post by YOG » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:27 am

gibbo wrote: I dont quite make sense of this phrase (ie you are never holding BOTH buttons)
press the unlock button 3 times and release both buttons after a final 4th push?
non the less, i cant get passed the part, when the light goes solid.
i need help from one of you clever helpful people.
Seems clear enough to me:
Two Button Remote

1. Put the key to be programmed into the ignition and turn to position 1.
2. After approximately 10 seconds the alarm light (next to the clock) will stop flashing and stay lit. Programming mode has now been activated.
3. Return the key to the 0 position and remove fron the ignition.
4. Aim the remote at the infrared sensor above your rear view mirror, press and hold the lock button.
5. Once the led on the remote has flashed, press the unlock button 3 times and release both buttons after a final 4th push, all the while making sure the remote is aimed at the infrared sensor. The light on the remote and on your dash will flash about 4 or 5 times to indicate the programming has been accepted.
**repeat steps 4 and 5 to program additional remotes**
6. To end programming mode, put the key back in the ignition and turn to position 1 and wait for lights to go out. Remove the key, wait and then test.
0 x
Rick

ventzaq
Adolescent
Adolescent

Post by ventzaq » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi!

I have two keys, a 3 button remote that I use and a key with a red 'spot' on the 'shoulder' of the key.

With these two keys can I buy a remote key from fleabay and program the new key using the methods at the start of this thread ?

regards
kevin
0 x

Return to “How To Guides”