How to Guide: Front Bumper Removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Seen theres a few posts about this and basic guides but nothing had any pictures and without pics and can be a little confusing exactly where bolts and nuts to remove exactly are, so I made this.

You will need

10mm socket
13mm deep socket
Torx Bits

Optional:
Copper grase, i used this on the retaining bolts to stop them ceasing back up in there

You can do this without jacking the car up, regardless of what guides and haynes says, you dont even need to remove the wheels although doing both will make it slightly easier. I did it without because im cool.

Firstly you need to remove your airbox, I was lucky as iv already removed mine to fit the induction kit so no pics of that, although removal is easy and straight forward.

Next using a torx bit remove the bolt holding the wheel liner,

P1050347.JPG

fold back wheel arch liner.

Looking inside the wheel arch lining you need to remove this 10mm bolt

bump1.jpg

From outside the car its roughly in this location behind the bumper

bump2.jpg

When you have done this on both sides you need to remove the grill.

Undo this torx screw on both sides

P1050342.JPG

Then lift the grill out.

Next you will need to remove the headlights, undo this torx screw on both sides

P1050343.JPG

Rotate the clip to the open position.

Remove this torx screw

P1050344.JPG

Unclip the wiring harness at the rear of the lights and pull out the drainage tube, you can then remove the headlight.

Repeat for other light.

Next remove the two 13mm nuts located roughly behind the bumper here, using your deep 13mm socket, a normal one wont clear the thread.

bump3.jpg

Access to them

P1050346.JPG

Now if you look down the headlight hole to the edge of the bumper you will see a metal bracket, there are two 10mm bolts on here you need to remove

P1050349.JPG

Repeat for both sides, and pull the bumper off the car, it should literally fall off to be honest.

P1050351.JPG

Pretty clean behind there to be honest, I was expecting rust!

Installation is reverse of removal.

This probs needs to be moved to relevant section

Excellent post :eek:k:

I'm put it in the "How to" section along with the other useful reference posts.

There's also another 10mm bolt on the drivers side behind the splash guard about two inches down and forward of the first. Not on all of them. Was one on a 2000 1.4. But not my 2000 1.7. If the bumper is loose but won't come off the drivers side this will be the culprit. Couldn't tell you why some have this bolt and some not.

sure someone hadnt just bodged it on yours in an attempt to cure a loose bumper or something?

Just a quick note, I had an extra bracket on each side that were underneath, mine is one of the earliest, it looks like ford have modified the design of the bumper mounts as I have an extra 4 screws fitted in total holding the bumper on (and they were sods to get at).

Latest posts

Back