2.1 Zetec Turbo - The Yella' Fella' (Videos and Dyno pg7)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The car is still down at Redline Tuning having some bits done to it. We recently found out that when it was initially built it had N/A spec cams in it that we had no idea about? Would explain the strong tapping noise we used to get.

Anyway, some new turbo spec cams have been ordered from Newman as we are now running a Blacktop Zetec engine.

The car has also been treated recently and we have ordered:
An AIRTEC RS500 Sierra intercooler which is absolutely enormous :lol: now we can get rid of the Toyosports piece of crap and turn the boost up
Also sent the Peron manifold that everyone loved back to them so we can get a 3” downpipe made up to suit which is nothing short of beautiful as would be expected from them
Also ordered an ITG cone filter for the car to get rid of the standard air box, I fancy a bit more turbo noise and I’m sure there will be some flow gains to be had from this also
And last but not least.. something I’m very excited about.. we have just purchased a Race Technology DASH2 digi dash! Something we’ve wanted for ages and now we have one so we can keep an eye on all temps, boost, pressures etc, and it’s going to look awesome! I’d like to try and get it mounted on some carbon if possible but we’ll see how that goes

Anyway, a full update will be here soon to explain what’s happened. Sadly not many photos as the rebuild has been going on since May last year and if I’m honest, I forgot all about this thread! I will get photos of the new toys and upload them and explain all what’s happened to the car and what was wrong with it!

Look forward to seeing some of you again this year. I can’t believe it was Ford Fair 2015 when it was last properly used and on show to people..

:cool: 3 years is long enough.

You can just post photo's 'as is' and we'll be more than happy :grin:

Sounds like it's got some cool bits added to it recently, bet you can't wait to get out and use it properly.

Another few months have passed since an update on the car.

It got finished, we had the car back and done almost 500 miles on the old chap running it in. New engine feels amazing, so much stronger than before, so many things have been changed and been rectified for the better thanks to Rich and his team @ Redline Tuning, they really have looked after us well and been a dream to work with. It's amazing what some communication can do for the bond between customer and tuner..

Anyway, the auxiliary belt decided it didn't want to stay on so has been back a few times for the pulley systems to be re aligned. There was so much tension on the belt it was bending brackets so one was put right and reinforced. We picked it up and was all happy days until it happened again only this time, it was the power steering pump bracket that has bent. Back to redline for them to fix it which they have done brilliantly and also picked up on something else to put right. They have found that the CV joint kept expanding and catching on the bodywork and would split and throw oil all over the engine bay :-( Not very nice but they have sorted this for us along with a whole host of things since they have had the car last year - I will update and give a full write up on what they have done. Sadly no really pictures of their work but I have invoices and info with what they have done for us.

Anyway, by this point the car had been road tested many times and was now over 500 miles and run in ready for a mapping session. All went well for 20 power runs, Rich had the car on the dyno for over 4 hours and it made 376bhp @1.6bar still using that tiny tiny intercooler :evil: and then.. as if anything else couldn't go wrong.. on the last power run, the car lost all boost..

Something is wrong with the turbo quite what it is we are unsure of yet but nevertheless we are still without car and are sending the turbo back to Owen Developments next week for further inspection. Rich thinks it was what happened last year when the engine blew up again they has caused some heat shock to the turbo and maybe something going through the turbine has caused the failure. It has taken this long to show up as it just wasn't run on any boost until now so these things happen and we were sort of expecting it after last years events.

We are hoping they can rebuild our turbo the GTX3067, it's a good turbo - GT28 compressor housing with a GT30 turbine housing, makes good power isn't too laggy and we like it! If they can't then we are making plans for a Gen2 GTX2867 with Tial housing to suit and fit with our rather gorgeous Peron manifold.

So thats' where we are.. still no car on the road but we are so so close!

My son now works for AIRTEC!! Which is amazing news because the car will be going to them for a full cooling package overhaul, custom intercooler, radiator, boost pipes, silicones and rad fans will all be new and finally up to spec of the car.

Looks like there is still interest in this build which is nice to know. More updates to follow soon.. we are close!

Hi all, I've been lurking in the background and have posted a few times here and there. 4 years on, so much has happened, the car is still around and I can't believe we are approaching 9 years since the work began on this project. How time flies!

Some of you may already know, but my Dad (Dave) passed away in June of 2019. Fast Ford very kindly invited me to have the car on their stand at Ford Fair that year which was a truly amazing experience! Some pics below of the car at Ford Fair. Had lots of updates since then and would like to post some updates over the next few weeks to get it all documented.

Ford Fair 2019:

IMG_6991.jpegIMG_7009.jpeg
IMG_6998.jpegIMG_7003.jpega9a07f22-9676-453f-934d-8536d649022b.jpeg

Just read through the thread. What a great build! Glad you’re still chipping away at it too.

Latest posts

Back