My Puma.. Maximum Track Attack!!

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!
Model: 1.7

Postby PumaJay » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:45 am

I finally got the car in the garage, after moving house over 5 months ago the garage had been a bit of a storage area and the car has been kept at my parents house.

Its not perfect in there yet but the car is in and its out of the way for a little while. I still need to have a good clear out and throw/sell some stuff.

ImageUntitled by Jay Hardy, on Flickr
3 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Been a while since I updated this but nothing much has changed really. Will be doing some routine maintenance over the next few weeks to get the car ready for 2018 and more track days. Should be having a few parts arrive in the next few days so I can start to get a move on with it.

Had the car out at the Autosport International show again this weekend which was a great success, couldn't find my camera so I've had to rely on stealing photos!

ImagePuma by Jay Hardy, on Flickr
2 x

mada
Adolescent
Adolescent

Postby mada » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:01 pm

looking great jay!

is the front splitter a custom job too?

loving the rear wing
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:39 pm

mada wrote:Source of the post looking great jay!

is the front splitter a custom job too?

loving the rear wing

Yeah its made from a sheet of HPDE plastic. Wasnt the cheapest but it doesnt splinter like I've seen some of the wooden ones do. I just need to sort a more solid way of mounting it to the chassis of the car rather than the bumper. Some custom brackets will need to be made I think!
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:59 am

Track day No 1 for the year done last weekend at Rockingham for the annul #TrackAddict track day.

Started off as a wet morning and with nothing other than semi slicks with me the grip level was very low, something I discovered when braking for the Tarzan hairpin...

A trip through the gravel but no damage done.... took me a little while to clear the car out so I could head back out again, that gravel just gets everywhere!!

The car ran faultlessly all day which for me is all that matters, I dried out in the afternoon so I could really start to push and try to set some quick times. I started off at a 2:01.59 in the morning wet sessions and by the end of the day I had it down to a 1:46.88... No idea if that's a quick time for a Puma round that track but I was pushing as hard as I could!

No other pictures at the moment as I'm waiting for them to come through but I have this video of me battling with my mate in his 172 powered Renault 5, much quicker in the corners but his extra power meant he could get away on the straights.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GddiXDvNXAg&t=3s[/youtube]
1 x

Cibbie
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: FRP

Postby Cibbie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:15 pm

Loving the Renault 5! cool little car!
0 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 am

Finally got some photo's to post from my recent track day at Rockingham, car ran faultlessly all day which is all I ask for. Couple of small issue's to sort out now through ready for the next one, I think the lambda sensor is failing and possibly the exhaust has cracked. Will be getting the car up on the axle stands this weekend to take a look.

Also need to change the HCV as its stuck on full hot, luckily I have a spare in the garage and I'l also replace the coolant for some Motul G13 while I'm at it.

Anyway... some pictures

ImageIMG_9566 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7752 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7305 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9527 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

In other news I've got a new set of wheels coming for the car, I've gone for a 17x7.5 Protrack One, these are a new German wheel manufacturer and the wheels are very high quality and very light compared to the rivals.

I expecting a few issues going up a 17" rim but it's required to fit the new brakes I have planned. My only concern is how it will effect the feel of the car, I've done every track day on a 15" wheel and tyre!

New wheels...

1 x

PumaJay
Guru!
Guru!

Postby PumaJay » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:47 am

Finally had a day of being able to do some work on the car over the weekends. I've had a few jobs that have needed to be done for a little while now so it was good to finally make a start on them.

First up was to replace the HCV, hasn't work for over a year now so I swapped it out for a genuine Ford one..... This this is now my 4th one on the 10 years of owning the car.

Old one off the car

you can just seen inside that it looks like a seal has failed and turned over on itself which is why I assume its broken.

New one fitted up, I still need to bleed the coolant system but I'l get round to that next time.

Car has had a running issue for a while as well and its very noticeable on track days, below 4k its lumpy and can bog down a bit, I though I had cured this with a new MAF but after pulling the lambda sensor off it looks like this could be the cause, I've already got a new one in the garage but I need to have the wiring extended on it, something which will be done in the next day or two so I can refit it and test the car.
Old loom has melted through where its made contact with the manifold, I'l look into ways in which I can protect it better from the heat.

Oh... and I'm still finding bits of gravel trap from Rockingham!
2 x

Return to “ProjectPuma”