And so it begins...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did actually do a search for ecu but didn’t have much luck, it’s my post so I thought there was no harm using it to ask questions of anyone who stops by!

RoadWarrior said:
[post]368786[/post] Why, do you have a MUFF ECU? Is your clocks digital or analogue? I'm sure T reg's are meant to be digital, as they're the year the Racing Puma's came out. And they all use TAPE ECU's.

The clocks in my car are the same as this
7q8tTvs.jpg

if that helps?

Lol, unless someone put a different label on it it’s got one, I’ll take a pic later for you ;-)

EDIT: Proof, even flipped the picture to make it easier to read, want me to lick it, make sure it is what it says?!... :p
wkKJiHd.jpg

Hmmm, god knows how they've managed to get the clocks to work. The speedo and mileage works?

$_86.JPG

Your clocks don't look like that?

Edit: turns out you can use the MUFF on digital & analogue cars, BUT the temperature gauge will never work on a digital set of clocks.

Plug a TAPE ECU in and you'll have working temperature gauge. And pops & bangs on overrun if you have a 4-2-1 decat manifold. :p

Oh just to worsen the confusion with my ECU being “wrong”, does it make it worse that I have a working 3 button mondeo (best guess - flip key style?) key for it?!...

Sorry Road missed your post before my last one, nah deffo not like that, just as easy to wire in a stand-alone temp gauge I guess? You selling a TAPE ecu by any chance?! If it stays I was thinking about going decat and hopefully Ashley if they make a system for it? When I had one on my 106 they were very big in the ford world...

Nah, I ain't selling a TAPE ECU. :lol:

They're about £40 off eBay if you want one. Saves the hassle of wiring a temp gauge. The TAPE is the sought after one, with pops & crackles. :grin: You can also get them remapped to the Racing Puma map and have the torque limiter removed in first gear. :eek:k:

You could put a cheaper DIVE one in but you'll have to move pins over and it's all hassle.

Just remember if you go down the 4-2-1 manifold option, you need spring bolts on the catback going into the 4-2-1 and a polybush rear gearbox mount, or you'll bump into problems, such as your expensive 4-2-1 snapping it's welds. :wink: The £200 ones on eBay aren't worth even bolting on. They're garbage, half of them don't even fit correctly and require welding on the catback and the holes being opened up more on the mainfold. :evil:

You can gut the cat you have on, but with all the effort involved, you may as well chuck a 4-2-1 on. There'll be little performance advantages from gutting the stock one, and it'll sound tingy. You'll need to straight pipe it to the backbox as well.

A 4-2-1 is a decat as well. You'll need to extend your lambda sensor wires to be able to plug it in as the new one sits right under the car. You'll also need to find an MOT station that does surepasses, as you'll never pass emissions with a decat. It'll fail a visual inspection, so before it's even plugged into the machine they'll notice the cat's missing. :)

Sometimes it's more ballache than it's worth. Unless you're looking for performance, I just leave the exhaust's stock.

I've seen MOT stations do surepasses for £40, I've seen others charge £70 and upwards of £100. The cheap ones often get shut down quickly.

I'd never put a car on a surepass to sell it like a lot of people do. It's just stupid, it comes to bite you on the ass and the MOT garage.

If a "girl racer" owned it before you, then the exhaust has probably been upgraded?

The catalytic converter sits on the manifold to the engine. With a horrible heat shield that often needs taking off with a hammer and chisle, and it about an hour or two job. So best to do it yourself. You'll probably need to buy a new catback if it hasn't had a new one lately, as the bolts get stuck on and round from being under the car. A big grinder whilst being careful to not cut your gear linkages soon solves this problem. Then you need to cut the backbox off if you still have the stock catback, as Ford put the exhaust on and then the rear beam. :roll:

Lol what a load of hassle, nah it’s got a filter but exhaust is standard, I’ll prob just leave alone for now then, no advisories relating to it on last test either, just need to sort the lumpiness

A lot of the air filters that people put on them is only for the induction noise. They decrease performance on the bottom end, if they do anything at all.

If you got a parts bin full of Puma bits, the stock air filter is probably lurking in there.

Funnily enough when I got it I thought the filter might be why it’s stuttering and looked for it but to no avail! I like being a chav at times, sound goes with the power when it’s not too busy misfiring! Remembered I’ve got a spare manifold under the stairs lol, might gut it see if it pops, no loss if it doesn’t!

Make sure you wear a proper breathing mask when doing it. Some really nasty chemicals sitting in cat's. You'll need to remove the drivers side driveshaft to get it out. It won't pop like a TAPE ecu but it may pop every now and again.

You really want to cut it open with a grinder, then get it welded shut again.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlCvIYJLSV0[/youtube]

The above is literally taking the car to about 3,000 RPM's then letting off the throttle (overrun). That's what a TAPE ECU does. :thumbs:

None of the other ECU's do that, it's basically like the Golf R's with DSG etc, it dumps a bit of unburnt fuel into the exhaust and causes it to pop. Obviously it makes your car less economical, you can stop it from popping, which I do near police. :wink:

Wow that is a lot of popping! Use to love my 106 with Ashley exhaust (decat obviously) and a bad seal so the air could get in, let off and tap the throttle for instant pop or bang

So a small update, due to being inherently lazy I’ve not sorted out my obd reader problem but bought another one, not used it yet though but car is mostly okay. As it’s much more pleasing to get bits that make it look better ive just picked up a pair of these for nowt!
I6pIWDl.jpg

Test fitted them on the car lol
wVmM0WR.jpg

Think they’re even Ford fitment!
bKPAdMi.jpg

That purple/green combo is certainly a bit, erm, marmite! lol :p

If you are looking for a TAPE ECU, I've got one kicking around. :roll:

Also, is your location on your profile correct? If so I'm not far from you so if you need a hand with anything give me a shout!

Yeah the purple and green sucks, hit the roof briefly with a pressure washer at work and took a bit of paint off so I need to find someone with a pressure washer I can use for a few hours lol! It would be nice having a temperature gauge but I don’t think I want the hassle of gutting the cat for the noise. Need to refurb the wheels I picked up so might sand the paint at the same time! Yes location is correct, though it’s actually Leigh Park but post office says it’s havant!

Latest posts

Back