T464 PNB - "Smokey Joe"

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TGPlayer1 said:
[post]359642[/post] Well the first lot of parts have arrived in the last few days, and it's safe to say the girlfriend was not happy :lol: Something about not having enough money or whatever.
Ah, women. They are capable of owning shoes in buying value well in excess of a second hand car, but if you try to upgrade something on that very same car it is a problem..... :grin:

Well, as usual precisely feck all has happened since my last update, but I’m now in a position where I can actually (genuinely this time!) get the job done. Come Wednesday I’ve got the day off work so I can dig ol’ Smokie out of the garage and take him round to work where I have the facilities to do the engine swap and any other jobs that need finalising.

The final piece of the puzzle is the engine loom, so if anybody has a complete 1.7, single lambda loom they want to sell let me know.

Keep tuned for more slow progress 🐌🐌🐌

So progress has been slow over the last 3 months, but progress it is nonetheless. I fitted the track steering wheel and boss, added multiple items to the list of parts I need to buy, and actually purchased some as well!

Both of them were a random eBay find while browsing aimlessly. Firstly I got the necessary parts for the rear brake conversion; Focus mk1 stub axle, hub and bearing assembly, calipers and carriers, 253mm discs and pads (which I don’t need as I have some Greenstuff already) and it’s all free and working as it should, and for £45 delivered it was the bargain of the century.

That is until I stumbled upon these the other day

Just £40 saw these in my possession, and I’m pleasantly surprised at how well they suit the car, as it was a bit of a punt based on the fact they were cheap as chips! (They’re Granada Scorpio alloys if you couldn’t tell)

So it’s not a lot, but it’s more than I’d done in the 3 years previous, so that’s something :)

Goodies are starting to arrive :grin:

Clutch, timing belt kit and Fiesta ST150 handbrake cable for the rear disc conversion.

Not long now and it’ll be all coming together :eek:k:

I got a ford clutch/slave straight from the factory in germany for less than europarts wanted (trade prices).
Hope you put some pictures up so I know what to expect when I do mine.

Well I know the theme of this build is slow progress but I legitimately didn’t think it’d been well over a year already since my last post, so this will come as much of a surprise to me as I’m sure it will to you. :roll: :lol:

I’ve taken full advantage of the lockdown and being an “essential worker” to get the rear brake conversion done. So on good Friday I attacked it with gusto and felt good about taking a step in the right direction and was almost immediately punched in the face with a set back, or more accurately 3 set backs. :eek:k:

So I firstly discovered that the drivers rear inner arch has taken up a side job as a Cheshire cheese impressionist and is crumbling in front of my eyes as I tackle the second problem of the brake union being tighter than a tight thing at the world championship being tight contest, not to mention the copper line being a bit twisted by the person who replaced it for an MOT before I came to own the disaster, sorry, car.

With those problems ignored and solved, respectively, I powered on and it all went fine until I’d uncovered a cock up so monumental that a passing historian fainted with the thought of recording this moment in the annals of cocking things up. I’d somehow managed to order the wrong bolts to mount the hubs to the axle and got totally the wrong thread and length, even though in all my job notes and list of parts to order I’d got the right ones written down. And it’s not as though I can just use the ones that were in there because they are extended ones for use with spacers. Anyway I had a dig around and managed to find 8 bolts that would fit so I could at the very least get the car back on it’s wheels for the time being and I can order the correct bolts.

Once everything was back together and bled up it works a treat, after some adjustment of the handbrake cables of course. So next up is to finish the front brakes (braided lines and track discs and pads) and then it’s the big job - engine swap!

As you can see I totally forgot to take pictures but I’ll get some snaps when the fronts are done as well.

Until next time :D

Good to see it's still alive! Thumbs up for the lyrical description!

Alex

Still alive yes, but unfortunately it’s time for us to part ways. Since the last update the car has been sat in a shipping container in the back yard at work, not seeing daylight for nearly 3 years now! So with the lack of use, lack of time, lack of space and, honestly, lack of interest on my part, I must send him away.

I cannot scrap him there’s just too many good parts on the car and somebody with the time will be able to finish what I started.

I’ll be selling the car and all the parts together (I also will be selling the Speedline wheels and track tyres separately but they can be thrown in for the right money)

I have no idea what it’s worth, but I need it gone and would rather take a lowball and see it finished off right than hold out for big money and end up scrapping.

At some point in the near future I’ll advertise on Facebook but for now it’s just on here so hopefully I won’t have too much messing.

It’s in Manchester M15 and if you want to contact me directly my mobile is 07766572033

Now, I must have a cry in a dark room.

You might be best placed creating an advert in the for sale section listing the current details of the car, price / location etc. It'll be easier to read than running through the project thread initially.

Latest posts

Back