The £650 Puma

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!
Model: 1.7

The £650 Puma

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:38 am

I also like the props. Especially their shape that makes ordinary 195 tyres look soooo wide 8-)
Having said that, I am also on thunders now for the summer season :wink:
1 x

ian b
Adolescent
Adolescent

The £650 Puma

Post by ian b » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:27 pm

Just finished reading your thread
Better than most tv series can't wait for the next installment :grin:
Did you manage to remove your seized brake piston ?
Have you tried using a grease gun, just screw into bleed nipple and gently squeeze, piston will pop right out.
0 x

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi Ian, glad you're enjoying it! I'm not sure I have a grease gun, but work has a compressor. Just have to actually remember to bring them in to work! I tried with a foot pump but I haven't got an adaptor that fits the threads.
0 x
Do you want to waste yet more of your life reading pointless waffle? Of course you do! Well, here's a place to do just that -Clicky

No longer - My project Puma thread - Clacky

My freebie MGF thread - Clucky

quest63
Major General
Major General

The £650 Puma

Post by quest63 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:29 pm

Just done a little catching up on Jeggers. Still looking good peeps :thumbs:
2 x

Project Delta Kilo (aka Pumber Thunder)

Highrevz

The £650 Puma

Post by Highrevz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:15 pm

42 pages over 3 days of reading and what a journey it's been. So well written and a pleasure to read.Can't wait to purchase my first puma now.
3 x

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:29 pm

Cheers both! The journey isn't over yet!

My neighbour's ultra-cheapy Puma has truly died well beyond economical repair, so I was asked if I wanted anything out of it. I grabbed some spanners and set about removing everything I needed (and a few bits I didn't really).

So I have a spare wheel that's round (mine is not) a decent condition engine bulkhead, an airflow sensor (worth having a spare), a throttle position sensor (mine may well be on the blink), another jack (may come in useful very soon) and a handful of fixings to replace various missing ones on my car.

I may also try and remove the engine mount as I think my own has rather a lot of play, but I ran out of time today.

I also extracted the TAPE ECU that I've bunged up for sale on his behalf which should net a large percentage of what he paid for the car in the first case!

[Salute] Farewell NAX, you were a cheap and tatty old Puma that provided a Summer of cheap driving and also offered up some decent spares. [/Salute]

So, I have a tonne of new and spare parts to go on to Jegger in the next month or so. All I need is the time to actually get them fitted...
0 x
Do you want to waste yet more of your life reading pointless waffle? Of course you do! Well, here's a place to do just that -Clicky

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Sun May 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Jegger is being a dick. It's official, the certificate is in the post.

First off - I spent 2 hours on the seatbelt pretensioners, carefully removing, replacing wiring, cleaning connections and fettling. The result?

Flash-flash-flash-flash-pause-and so on.

Stupid thing. The MOT is due by the end of the month and this is an instant fail. I'm pretty much out of ideas now frankly.

I also took him for a short drive to see if the handling was as terrifying as I remember. Yes, it is still terrifying. Certainly something major wrong there...

However, at least I've had one fault finally pinpointed. I thought I'd have a go at fixing my OBD socket, so I unhooked it all and sprayed some switch cleaner around it. I could see afterwards that using my bluetooth scanner and the Torque app on my phone, it was at least trying to communicate now, but it still couldn't talk to the car.

So I remembered that tuonokid had been making nice noises about a program called Forescan, so I bunged it on my netbook, dug out my USB scanner and hooked it all up.

And.....

Jegger is finally talking to me! You may notice a fault code in there too - the source of all my missing power!

Not great, but at least I can stop blindly replacing parts. My bet is on the solenoid being fecked, as the engine runs very smoothly. Also, it's clear on reflection that I don't have that VCT engine note change at the switch-over revs. It would appear that it's stuck in the high-rev-range setting which explains the lack of low and mid-range grunt.

Still, Jegger's still a dick, even if he is talking to me now. :?
0 x

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

The £650 Puma

Post by XAF » Sun May 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Very good post Lee!!

Wish I could plug something into the wife to find out what's wrong with her sometimes!!
1 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Sun May 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Well there is something you can stick into.... ah you can see where I'm going with that.... :grin:

Forscan has Oscilloscope functions (basically graphs) to show what everything is doing. I set to show the VCT valve position, voltage etc. I ran the engine at tickover and the valve shows as open. Unhooking the solenoid connector would show it as closed but as soon as I plugged it back in, it's showing open again. I may be over-simplifying it, but is that a clue that the solenoid is indeed stuck in the open position?

When I reset the DTC code, it was showing voltage percentage. When I held the throttle open a little it steadily climbed to 100% and then just reset to zero and stayed there.

Good software that must be a boon if you really understand it.
1 x

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

The £650 Puma

Post by tuonokid » Sun May 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi Lee
Glad you're making some progress but thanks for the Forscan should really go to Sinisa (Wild E Coyote) as he is the one who introduced me and perhaps others to it. It is stacks better than those cheapo code readers though.
Barry
1 x
2001 ColOrado red Puma 1.7, work in progress.
Westfield SEIW 1800 Zetec.
Building Westfield SEI 2.0 Zetec Blacktop on TBs.
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80
Now working on my sons Anglia 105e

My Project Link - http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=23509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Sun May 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Good call! Sorry, I've seen you using it in various threads! Cheers Sinisa!

To be fair, the bluetooth one still didn't work as I think my OBD port struggles to power it, whereas the USB one is powered by the PC. I bought the Android Forscan as well to show support for the devs.
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sun May 15, 2016 6:51 pm

Glad I helped you all guys. It really is amazing piece of kit and I still can't understand how comes it is free?! Regarding the OBD readers: I have two WiFi ones. One is working (just barely, now and then), the other is dead from the day I purchased it, only the USB one is working as intended.
I just hope you will get on top of your problems. If you need me to record live data on VCT angle, let me know!
1 x

Milkie
Adolescent
Adolescent

The £650 Puma

Post by Milkie » Mon May 16, 2016 10:49 am

I had P1383 VCT error and made it vanish. I think it was caused by running the engine with one side of the car jacked up, just after I had replaced the gearbox, changed the engine oil and replaced the Lambda. I took it for a drive, stopped after 10 miles and ForScan showed the VCT error, so I cleared it, drove some more and it hasn't re-appeared since.
0 x

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Mon May 16, 2016 11:59 am

It's been like this for a good few years and through a good few oil changes as well. Just no low or mid range grunt.

I have done some searching to see if it's possible to unstick the solenoid in situ, and I've seen a few reports of grounding the solenoid quickly and repeatedly to jolt it back into action, but I'm not so great at electrics so I'm wondering how to go about it.
0 x

Neil
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Model: Other

The £650 Puma

Post by Neil » Tue May 17, 2016 5:45 am

I prefer the props too.
1 x
Current - Ford Fiesta ST-3
Previous - Ford Puma 1.7 Lux, Ford Racing Puma #013, Mini Cooper S (R56), Renault Clio 182 (Cup Pack), Mazda MX-5 Mk1, Honda Civic Type R (FN2)

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

The £650 Puma

Post by XAF » Sat May 21, 2016 10:29 am

Well Lee, I bit the bullet today and put a letter through the door to see if I can't join your "Free MG/Rover Club". It's looking quite sorry for itself. Not been MOT'd for a couple of years - or moved it would appear.

1 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Sat May 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Oooo! Nightfire red I think! Looks lovely! Any evidence of crippling rust?

Fingers crossed - look at it this way, it they say yes, you've a new project, which is exciting. If they say no, you've avoided another rusty bucket of heartbreak and pain! :lol:
1 x

evilrob
Project Elder
Project Elder
Model: Thunder

The £650 Puma

Post by evilrob » Sun May 22, 2016 2:01 pm

The Arch Bishop wrote:I remembered that tuonokid had been making nice noises about a program called Forescan
I got my Forescan out once...
1 x
PUMA GARAGE LIST http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=9116
NEED SPARES? Talk to Ian G of PumaBits
Current Puma: July 2011 - Present: 'Pippa Puma' (click for project thread) 2002 Magnum Grey Thunder

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Sun May 22, 2016 2:48 pm

evilrob wrote:
The Arch Bishop wrote:I remembered that tuonokid had been making nice noises about a program called Forescan
I got my Forescan out once...
Do you know, I saw that spelling error last week and left it there wondering if I could troll you out of hiding! :grin:
2 x

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

The £650 Puma

Post by XAF » Sun May 22, 2016 9:56 pm

The Arch Bishop wrote: Oooo! Nightfire red I think! Looks lovely! Any evidence of crippling rust
It looks remarkably solid, the old boy used to polish the hell out of it, shame it's just been left to sit. One tyre is flat and the bonnet is open a crack as if someone has tried to start it in the distant past. Absolutely covered in tree sap and moss.

Will keep you posted!
1 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Sun May 22, 2016 11:21 pm

XAF wrote:
The Arch Bishop wrote: Oooo! Nightfire red I think! Looks lovely! Any evidence of crippling rust
It looks remarkably solid, the old boy used to polish the hell out of it, shame it's just been left to sit. One tyre is flat and the bonnet is open a crack as if someone has tried to start it in the distant past. Absolutely covered in tree sap and moss.

Will keep you posted!
Sounds like it could be quite a good one to save then! Looking forward to hearing more.
0 x

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:15 pm

Ok, need the help and sage advice of the Puma collective....

Basically, my question is "When is it time to admit defeat and cut your losses?"

I've really had it with Jegger. Over the last 6 years, he's needed a constant flow of cash to keep on the road and pleasant to drive and, to be fair, I've never got everything working all at the same time.

Welding, painting, all of the suspension, the whole cooling system, the power steering, the air conditioning system, exhausts, trim, gearbox and clutch and much, much more....

My current fault list is as follows;

1. The handling is broken - reasons unknown but possibly just geometry.
2. The VCT solenoid is stuck - may be able to recover it who knows...
3. The rear beam bushes are gone again.
4. The rear wheel spacers both need replacing - a small bit broke away after a gentle prod.
5. Needs the cambelt doing.
6. The seatbelt pretensioner fault means that I can't get an MOT for it - I've tried everything now but it simply won't be fixed even by fitting resistors in their place.
7. Rear brake lines look decidedly dodgy.
8. A myriad of other little issues that I just can't be bothered with any longer.

I haven't the cash to keep pouring liberally into a car that is worth not a lot done up, and not having it to drive over the last few months has just compounded my frustration.

So basically, should I call time and sell it for spares and repairs for a few hundred pounds, or persevere knowing where my previous perseverance has gotten me? :-(

Sad times.
0 x

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

The £650 Puma

Post by XAF » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Ooohh. That is a quandary.

I guess it comes down to the emotional bond you have with Jegger, as in reality there is no financial sense whatsoever in fixing it. But then there rarely is any sense in cars. It's always heart over head.

Personally, you've ploughed so much time, effort and money into it, it'd be a tragedy to allow him to be scrapped. As long as he's structurally sound then that's a bonus. Brake lines are a doddle. I'll even make some
up for you if you like, VCT could be fixed when doing the cambelt - not pleasent or cheap admittedly.

What's you heart saying?
0 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

The Arch Bishop
Guru!
Guru!

The £650 Puma

Post by The Arch Bishop » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:19 pm

My head is saying "Time to call it quits fella!"

My heart is saying "Listen to the head - I've been wrong so far!"
0 x

Fanwheel
Project Regular
Project Regular

The £650 Puma

Post by Fanwheel » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:12 pm

It would be a great shame to lose jeggar. I have enjoyed reading your thread over the past couple of years and just wish I had the wherewithal on mechanics that you have.

But how about outsourcing the frustration and getting a trusted garage to sort out the most irritating stuff e.g. pre-tensioner, cam belt and VCT? With a bit of investment it should be sorted for the next few years. Who knows maybe 10 years time it may be worth a few quid, especially if there is no tin worm. Or if you had to sell her I would hope that someone on project puma would snap her up

Will
0 x
1.7 Moondust Silver (1999) 2014 to present
1.7 Panther Black (1998) 2001 to 2005

Return to “ProjectPuma”