Project Aiya (Pic heavy)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayllian

Hi everyone, I was in the market for a second hand car costing no more than 1k, my finance deal was set to end and I didnt fancy chucking more money down the drain on a new car.

I was looking for a fiesta (my sis-in-law had a reliable runner) but then realised for the same money I could pick up a Puma of the same age, seemed a bit of a no brainer! I set about hunting for cars in my area, but the closest I could find in my budget was in Ipswich. I left it a couple of days and decided to go on the Friday after work, with the intention of placing a deposit if all was well.

I checked the net that morning and the car had gone. I hadn't looked the car over, but I had become attached (I know this is a bad thing). I contacted the dealer, who told me that someone had liked the car and was coming back for a second look. I shot the 40 odd miles to Ipswich, but when I arrived the car was gone.

But as it turned out it was only on a test drive. Cut a long story short, person on test drive didnt buy car, I bought car, person coming back for second look in afternoon missed out! popular little cars! :grin: And that was that, I had fallen for her, she has a peachy little engine and sharp handling. The body was a little rough around the edges (somebody had gone crazy on the rear arches, with something that looked like Hammerite). but nothing that couldn't be sorted.

I have had her for just under a month and I think this project is turning into a bit of an obsession. We have affectionately nicknamed her Ayia. I want to get the suspension, bodywork and rust sorted as my primary goals, I will eventually modify, but only subtly and in favour of performance rather than cosmetic..

The car as I got it:

Ayia (29) by Slayllian2, on Flickr

Its an earlier "series 1" Puma with the VCT logo on gear shroud, an analogue clock and the smaller brakes. Built in December 97, registered in January 98, 108,000 miles on the clock. Good service history (missing one around 90k)

Puma 'Lux' pack - Air con/Traction control/ABS/Heated mirrors/Heated windscreen/Electric drivers seat/CD player/ F1 style wheels/Also fitted with the optional lowering springs. Cost me £750.

After a good clean:

AYIA by slayllian, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65056499@N05/5925893574/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

264951_10150254095274655_769604654_7259339_7922390_n by slayllian, on Flickr

I will update this list as I go (check back on this list, as updated often)

Since February, the previous owner had replaced:

• Exhaust middle and rear section
    Inner CV boots
    Anti roll bar drop links
    Tyres (Maxxis MAV1's)

The car also received a new remote key and had a full service carried out. It was kept running but that's about it. I had no proof of a cam belt change so I had my ford dealer replace it asap. I got the water pump changed at same time, all in for around £360.

I want to get all major engine and suspension components back to genuine items. A lot of the suspension bushes and mounts were shot, so need sorting.

Things done:

• Cambelt & water pump change (Ford)
    Fix airbox, and re-attach intake pipe
    Replace missing front rubber valance
    Replace leaking rocker cover gasket
    Install new speakers (all round)
    Replace stereo, with correct silver CD6000
    Fit stereo remote controls
    replace broken door handle trim</STRIKE>
    Genuine floor mats
    Remove exterior panels, check for rust/clean up
    Replace rear view mirror
    Clean headlights internally
    Replace broken gear shroud trim
    Fix gearbox leak
    Replace gearbox oil
    Renew gearbox breather
    Fix water leak (drivers footwell)
    Strip/clean interior, treat any internal rust
    Clean and underseal floor
    Replace drivers front seatbelt
    Replace number plate fasteners
    Fit Focus 2011 fan washer jets
    Repaint wing mirrors and bumper inserts black
    Replace rear axle spacers (genuine Ford)
    Clean and lubricate rear brakes
    Weld sills (local garage)
    Fit new Front top mounts & bearings
    Clean MAF sensor
    Rust treat legs and sills internally (Hydrate 50)
    Replace rear beam bushes with Powerflex
    Replace rear ABS loom
    Fit 4" back box (stainless tipped)
    Sort rusty arches, respray doors, wings & bonnet
    Fit clear side repeaters
    Oil & filter change
    Replace fuel filter
    Renew spark plugs
    Replace pollen filter
    Renew rear top mounts
    Replace n/s tail light
    Remove spare wheel and hanger
    Renew both rear ABS rings (Ford)
    Fit braided brake hoses and renew brake/clutch oil
    Replace wheels (Fox FX004's Black)
    Replace tyres (Toyo TR1's)
    Install Fiesta Ghia external temp sensor
    De-restrict air box and fit cold air feed
    Renew ford badges
    Respray Engine bay
    Clean engine and gearbox
    Replace intake to head gasket
    Replace headlights
    Engine oil breather
    Re-lacquer steering wheel
    Coolant flush, replace thermostat & gaskets
    Replace aux belt & Idler
    Underseal front wings (internal)
    Underseal front arches
    Rebuild brake callipers (to last until 280mm fitted later in year)
    New bonnet alarm switch
    Fit Gmax struts & -40mm Spax springs
    Clean engine and exhaust heat shields
    New drop links
    Replace corroded fasteners/fixings
    Drop and rust treat fuel tank
    Replace anti roll bar bushes
    New horn
    New lower wishbone arms
    Induction kit
    Replace handbrake cable
    Check tracking
    Sort engine fan

Things to do (in order I plan to do them):

• Replace Stereo

When I got the car back, I gave her a quick wash only to discover the next morning that the drivers footwell was sodden (never buy a car in a heat wave). I set to work finding the leak. With the help of my wife and a hose pipe, I managed to trace it back to somewhere near the bottom of the windscreen. I had to remove wipers and cowling to gain access, then I ran a bead of sealant along the suspect bottom edge of the screen making sure not to block the drain holes. This seem to have cured the leak so far (touch wood).

Now the car is water tight, I removed a most of the the rotton underlay and and let the interior dry out. I can now fit some velour floor mats which I have ordered form a Ford dealer. With the carpet back I also cleaned the foot well up. When refitting the carpet I reattached the plastic bracket which holds the edge of the carpet to the sill, this annoyingly pulled out every time I got in!

Next I decided to remove the wheels and arch liners and give both a good clean. There was at least 2 inches of dirt sitting in the bottom of both front wings and so much on one side that the whole bottom of the wing rotted through. I then painted all exposed areas of suspension and brake components that I could get at.

Front arch after cleaning and painting suspension:

269632_10150251245154655_769604654_7231021_55171_n by slayllian, on Flickr

Rear arch, liner replaced:

261315_10150251244564655_769604654_7231013_1154565_n by slayllian, on Flickr

Front, wheel replaced:

267512_10150254095169655_769604654_7259338_7096226_n by slayllian, on Flickr

Managed to bust my rear view this morning! on the bright side I have eliminated a lot of the squeaks, by putting fresh grease on the door and boot pins. But I have now noticed a rattle coming from rear passenger side, so will be pulling trim off for investigation.

Next up its time to get the new rear-view mirror on order. :grin:

When I got the car it had shocking repairs on the rear arches, I sanded both down and used halfords primer, paint and lacquer to give a much cleaner finish. There's still a slight difference between panels, but its only a temporary soloution as I already have a quote for repairing both arches and the rotted front wing.

Ayia's rump, after I gave her a quick polish:

264292_10150251244719655_769604654_7231015_7441454_n by slayllian, on Flickr

Latest external picture:

262249_10150254095054655_769604654_7259337_2020978_n by slayllian, on Flickr

I decided to check for rust and tidy up the rear underside last weekend:

I removed the rear bumper, both rear wheels, the spare wheel and wheel holder. There was a fair amount of corrosion on the passenger side rear chassis leg but the rest of the car seemed in fair condition., helped by the fact it has been under sealed at some point.

I removed the fuel filler pipe to gain better access, then cleaned up the corroded chassis leg with a wire brush. I then rust treated the whole rear underside before sealing with silver Hammerite. I treated the rear arches in the same way and made sure to get into all those little rust traps. Next up I cleaned the rear beam, the spare wheel and holder and then coated all with Hammerite smooth black. Finally I checked the spare tyre pressure.

This weekend I plan to go under again and finish off/tidy up. when I get the funds together I will invest in a waxoyl sprayer as I intend to fill all the box sections and sills full of the stuff before winter.

After a quick wash down, a fair amount of rust was revealed:

265131_10150254095449655_769604654_7259341_8092909_n by slayllian, on Flickr

Arches & bumper beam treated:

263568_10150251244384655_769604654_7231010_1638030_n by slayllian, on Flickr

Before refitting spare wheel:

270180_10150251244459655_769604654_7231012_7608871_n by slayllian, on Flickr

262356_10150254094909655_769604654_7259335_2072169_n by slayllian, on Flickr

Spare wheel tidied up:

270415_10150254095529655_769604654_7259342_4537725_n by slayllian, on Flickr

Finished:

Ayia (92) by slayllian, on Flickr

I gave the engine a good gunking (which it needed from rocker cover leak) then started detailing the engine bay, I noticed the air filter housing was broken. The threads that hold the lid on were non existent. I managed to carry out a temporary fix by filling the holes with good old super glue, then locating the fixing screws back in. This seems to be holding together for now until I can replace the whole filter housing.

I then found that the intake pipe which strangely feed from the near side wing, was broken where it attaches into the box. I fixed this by drilling and fitting a self tapper between the two. I also found a cable hanging off near the gearbox, I reattached this to where I think it came from.

Quick clean up:

270026_10150251245499655_769604654_7231028_5234401_n by slayllian, on Flickr

I was having trouble sourcing a second hand front lower valance. So I bit the bullet and bought a new one from ford. This was an easy job to carry out, but I decided to use bolts and locknuts instead of the rivets provided, mainly as I had no rivet gun.

Before:

264815_10150251245324655_769604654_7231026_1968866_n by slayllian, on Flickr

After:

270476_10150251245424655_769604654_7231027_1709358_n by slayllian, on Flickr

I sprayed the bottom edge of the bumper as it has been scuffed at some point, probably when loosing the valance. Im really pleased with the result, I think the valance tidies up and finishes the front of the car.

Just had a rummage around in the rear side panel, hoping I have sorted the squeak, I crimped up the little metal brackets that hold the panel on at the top they seemed quite loose, fingers crossed! At the same time I decided to investigate my rattly passenger door, which turned out to be a piece of window strip and some broken glass in the bottom of the door, random huh? there was also a clip missing which I replaced.

Oh and before I forget I rang ford for a price on the rear view mirror today and nearly fell off my seat, they wanted £50.... taking the pee me thinks for a bit of glass and plastic??? :|

Cheers, trouble is when I fix one thing theres always somthing else that creeps up lol! :lol:

Gave the puma a deep interior clean over the weekend. I ran out of autoglym shampoo so rummaged around and found some left over Rug doctor for those carpet cleaning machines. I have to say the results were were pretty impressive, this stuff is ten times better than the shampoo I had been using.

I removed the interior panels and seats to gain better access, I even found a pound coin in the process! I washed the seats out of the car and let them dry off a bit, then cleaned all the trim before refitting.

I thought this would be a good time to fit my OEM mats, which I managed to wrangle for £43.50 from Ford.

WORD OF WARNING - when fitting dont twist the clips to hard into the carpet as they sheer off, as I found the hard way. :'( But managed to find some spares on ebay.

Front seat removed:

Ayia (109) by slayllian, on Flickr

Ayia (108) by slayllian, on Flickr

This much dirt was hiding in the drivers seat alone:

Ayia (107) by slayllian, on Flickr

Removed the rear bench and cleaned underneath:

Ayia (88) by slayllian, on Flickr

Found this behind drivers side rear panel:

Ayia (86) by slayllian, on Flickr

Ayia (87) by slayllian, on Flick

Need sorting at some point, but rust treated and sealed for time being:

Ayia (89) by slayllian, on Flickr

Ayia (99) by slayllian, on Flickr

I also found rust on the bottom edge of the drivers door which I treated in same way:

Ayia (97) by slayllian, on Flickr

Ayia (98) by slayllian, on Flickr

Replaced some missing trim plugs:

Ayia (100) by slayllian, on Flickr

Then replaced my grubby window switch trim:

Ayia (2) by slayllian, on Flickr

With this minter from ebay:

Ayia (3) by slayllian, on Flickr

All finished, rather proud for a days work, and found a quid! :grin:

Ayia (112) by slayllian, on Flickr

Ayia (6) by slayllian, on Flickr

Will put up more updates soon!

I noticed an annoying rattle/squeak on way home from work on Friday, took ages to locate, it turned out to be the rear drivers side handbrake cable rubbing on the sill. I relocated the cable and cured the squeak.

While I was there I started to paint the underframe with the black hammerite I had left over from the suspension. I need to wait until I get some axle stands to get all the way under.

The sills seem in pretty good shape at the moment so I hoping to keep them that way:

Ayia (90) by slayllian, on Flickr

Fitted some 6x9s I had laying around into those rear housings, they were easy to fit, only requiring a little cutting of the box and some silicone sealant. They really make a difference sound wise!

Ayia (93) by slayllian, on Flickr

I fitted my sat nav, but didn't want the wire hanging around centre console, so I routed it up through the back. The only trouble with this was the ash tray fails to shut and jams the cable. I got around this by modifying the rear of the tray and as I dont smoke use it to store the charger. when I want to use the sat nav I only have to open the tray and plug the charger in. The rest of the time its out of sight.

Cut out in rear of ash tray (used snips, scalpel and file to make cutout):

Ayia (94) by slayllian, on Flickr

In use:

Ayia (95) by slayllian, on Flickr

Routed the cable along bottom edge of dashboard and up behind weather strip (wire is just tucked in vent when sat nav is not in use):

Ayia (96) by slayllian, on Flickr

Only thing left to do is download a Puma logo for my satnav start up screen!

Wanna clean my interior for me????...lol.

Like the idea of routing the satnav cable as it is a pain hanging down when in use. I always fit mine centrally and need to use it in other cars sometimes which would mean buying another charger cable. Might consider that on my next Puma splurge which going by my list is getting bigger and bigger....lol.

Also gotta check my rear arch inners as it looks like they could be rusting away merrily and unnoticed if yours are anything to go by. Will have to wait until this bloody long spell of rain stops.

lol, this weather is being a major hindrance, at least its given my leaky window repair a good test! :)

Latest posts

Back