Aarons Track Project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron86

Hi guys and Girls, i bought my Puma at local auctions solely for use on the track. I havent got any mechanical experiance and will be attempting all the work myself and on a budget. Car cost me £250 its a 1.7 came with T&T but is now SORN, so far i have stripped most of interior, fitted for point harness (£7.50) and bucket seats (£3.20 for the pair) also had to make a frame for them out of unistrut as came with landrover sliders. Also changed front discs (£20) as were on the way out and also sprayed wheels white with some left over paint. Check out my album for pics and if you can help me with suggestions on further upgrades like suspension, brakes, tyres, roll cage ect it will be greatley appreciated.

image.jpg

image2.jpg

image8-1.png

Looking good so far... I quite like the look of those Props white..! :eek:k:

cheers mate got bored at home one day so attacked them with a few rattle cans

aaron86 said:
cheers mate got bored at home one day so attacked them with a few rattle cans
lol... I know what that's like. But I attacked my bonnet!

GREAT :eek:k: :eek:k: , Check my thread out i started with the same idea and its my cars track debut tomorrow :happee: ,Sure you can find some coilovers on ebay, plenty of bargains to be had if i spot anything i will give you the nod. :eek:k: Oh and get some breaded hoses on your stoppers.

cheers jboy hope it goes well tomoz, had a look at ur thread and giving me some good ideas, im gunna look into making my own front splitter cant be that hard.

Just a quick update, so far ive spent about £500 on the car inc uprades. Ive managed to hire a local airfield tomorrow for a test day before i take it to the track and i cant wait. Ive managed to change clutch (clutch kit £85) fit spax lowering springs (£60 ebay) fit corbeau buckets seats (£3.20 for pair) rear OMP strut brace (£34) X4 alloys (purchased off ebay only for tyres £26) and green stuff pads (£35). The DIY front splitter i made just needs a few coats of heat resistant paint and that will be fitted for the first track day and i will post pic when its finished.

Finally got out on track, last month went to local airfield to run it in as have only done 10 or so miles since i got it about 6 months ago and yest went to blyton park. I still cant beleive how much of a diference it makes stripping it out but the only downfall was the brakes (240mm) didnt really give you any confidence and thats where i lost most of my time in braking. All in all really chuffed with how it handled and has only spurred me on to get bigger better upgrades.

jobs done so far;
bucket seats £3.20
four point harness (pair) £50
Spax springs £60
OMP strut brace set £110
induction kit £60
Greenstuff pads £45
clutch kit £65
bonnet pins £5
Boot springs £5
sprayed props white
4 spares alloys and part worns £26
stripped of everything i can see and think of

Had a few deliverys this weekend got them bolted on Sunday.
M-tec vented drilled and grooved discs and also AP coilovers. Took the car back to local air strip and it now handles like a dream through the corners and the brakes don't over heat anymore, best money I've spent so far!
coilovers.jpg

discs.jpg

While the weather is cold put the car in the garage to spruce up a few things that have been winding me up, the arches.
FD714BF9-FCEA-4075-B855-5C1267B41329-3576-000002DB591DAC84.jpg

34C677F4-9333-406A-9877-DD8555BF198A-3576-000002DB5E6336CC.jpg

7260001F-D986-4A61-B51F-225F7892CB2F-3576-000002DB6105E7DD.jpg

5D99DAAF-2935-48E0-84E2-E9EC593B693E-3576-000002DB63E6ED92.jpg

BEED84E2-D775-4A13-8511-E4AB90F8F006-3576-000002E3EBCC4052.jpg

Also been striping out more weight by taking out the sound deadening.

Like it. I'm hoping to take mine on track at the beginning of March. Brakes is one thing on my list, looking at 280mm from a Fiesta ST

I was looking at going for 280mm from fiesta ST but couldn't find any in budget so got 260mm instead and will put in some performance pads closer to the next track day, I've seen some OMP carbon pads on eBay but can't find any reviews on them.

Are you the Aaron currently selling Spax lowering springs on ebay?

There's some ST stuff on ebay at the mo for £95 posted but there's also someone on ZSOC selling 300mm for £80. I've got some other stuff to pay for at the moment but will deffo be getting them before I go anywhere near a track

Yep that's me, I would have the 300mm but I love the white props I have on at the mo. I think I'm just going to keep the 260mm with good pads cause with standard pads they were great on the airstrip that I hire. Have you got 240 or 260s?

I havent looked but as its a 2001 I'm assuming 260mm. They're crap whatever they are.

I think you can get 300 behind the props, need the calipers grinding and some 3mm spacers though.

Latest posts

Back