Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma, now going RWD, JWRC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moondustka

Hi guys, thought I would share this..

This is my puma, I bought it February last year after my Ka came to an end. I finished it once last year in July and had it mapped at a place called TDI in Lakeside, Thurrock.

It made 244.5hp and 277 lbs of torque at the hubs, so guessing around 280 at the fly.

Unfortunately, I took very few photos, in fact it might as well have been none (which I regret for my own benefit).

The car then came off the road for an overhaul of everything around it as cooling was a massive issue, with water, oil and the air charge temps.

Again, this time I still didn't take many photos - doh!

Here are the few I did take. Most are self explanatory.

Shortly after I bought the car with my brothers wheels:
IMG_0692.jpg

Rear Wiper removed:
IMG_0693.jpg

Engine is in and lined up - the making of the timing end engine mount:

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

The vibra techincs competition mount as well:
IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

Top gearbox mount, vibra technics - again competition.
IMG_0760.jpg

Underneath work, waxoyl, heatshields, fuel tank etc.
IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

And how it was before it came off the road last October. Some of you may have seen it at Ford Fair last year:
IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

Will do the next photos of what I have been doing in the next post!

Forgot this one.. On the hub dyno July last year:
IMG_0783.jpg

Not really in order of when but:

Welded in two spouts to the radiator. I chose a cosworth rad.
IMG_1067.jpg

I modded the oil cooler/warmer to get the spout in the right direction, however, it's in a totally different place now, you will see why shortly:
IMG_1060.jpg

Rear arch work to rust etc. This includes trying out 3M sprayable sealer - it's amazing!!

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

Power Steering Mounting bracket I made:

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

Modified power steering pipe... These are made standard from some sort of steel. The only way you can adapt it is to use a sleeve and silver solder joints. You need a blow torch and some sort of heat bricks (I used storage heater blocks) to get it to 650 C to do it!

IMG_1083.jpg

Peek of custom intercooler, loosely based on the RS500 style cosworth intercooler

IMG_1047.jpg

Old intercooler core vs new - a cheap core vs a proper one!

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

Aluminium boost pipe I made to fit over the left side of the engine - previously all my pipework came from the right

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

I then had a tubular manifold made, this came due to not be able to fit everything at the front and I needed more room for fans. This seemed the obvious route.

I had to mod it though slightly:
IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

New filter, nice and small, but apparently can flow up to 509hp!

IMG_1143.jpg

Evyerbody knows the dishwasher is an amazing parts washer! (I went to buy new but Ford don't do this one with the slide fitment at the back)

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

The down pipe I've made (finished now but not in the photos)

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

I've finished this down pipe now and it's heat wrapped - I had to cut it in half and put a v band clamp on to make it easier to fit!

I'll get some more photos soon. It's coming along and it's nearly ready to start again.

I'm gutted I don't have any photos of the engine bay as it was last year to compare as it's so different now.

The aim this time is to make everything as efficient as possible and hopefully get the 300hp at the hubs I'm after.

Ben

............................. What's your address........ I want that car!!!!!

UBER JEALOUS!!!

Seriously amazing job there.... I want PB to drop an RS engine into mine but they said it was out=dated so find another engine... Instead im building my own Puma RS out of the exsisting engine... they way it should have been done.

I remember you at FF last year- you came with all the Ka's, saw you in tescos car park when I heard the turbo chatter :lol:
Great build mate keep it up :eek:k:

Sparx said:
I remember you at FF last year- you came with all the Ka's, saw you in tescos car park when I heard the turbo chatter :lol:
Great build mate keep it up :eek:k:

That's right - I was with them as it was previously in a Ka..

I look back now and think it wasn't that nice last year at for fair :( It's getting a respray before this one, as it looks like it's been dragged through a hedge a few times!

Thanks for comments :)

d170sam said:
Are you running the standard puma gearbox then? Epic build, great workmanship too!

The gearbox is quite a hybrid...

The front half (bell housing with starter opening) is a Ka, the back half is puma to retain standard puma mountings. I rebuilt it around 8-10k miles ago with all new ford bearings etc. with a Quaife ATB diff, fiesta ST 1-4th and Ka 5th.

It's been brilliant so far, but everyone I've come across with 300 or more hp has broken them. However, they've all been boxes not quite the same. I'm hoping with good mapping we can make the torque and power progressive so that it will be kind to the box.

The key is regular oil changes. I change it when I do the engine oil, which I will admit I do change (some might say) excessively (every 3-4k)

The bearings in the fiesta ST box are supposed to be stronger, hence the IB5 + name. And if you can get the power progressive rather then all in 1 shot, and dont continuously do hard launches, you might be ok with 300 bhp, torque is the real killer. What is that bush you have in the gearbox mount, it looks bigger then standard? Intercooler cores look very well designed, a lot more surface area contact for cooling, what were your intake charge temperatures with the old intercooler and at what boost levels? And what sort of drop are you expecting with the new cooler?

PumaNoob said:
The bearings in the fiesta ST box are supposed to be stronger, hence the IB5 + name. And if you can get the power progressive rather then all in 1 shot, and dont continuously do hard launches, you might be ok with 300 bhp, torque is the real killer. What is that bush you have in the gearbox mount, it looks bigger then standard? Intercooler cores look very well designed, a lot more surface area contact for cooling, what were your intake charge temperatures with the old intercooler and at what boost levels? And what sort of drop are you expecting with the new cooler?

The power will be more progressive - the boost solenoid is now linked to omex, so the omex will control it. I had around 280-290hp before (244.5 was measured at the hubs - flywheel is estimated)

The gearbox mount is a vibra technics competition mount.

Old intercooler was awful to be honest. Can't believe it even made the power it did. Inlet temps were around 55 degrees on full chat at 20 psi.

I'm hoping for inlet temps around ambient with the changes I've made. I've also moved the air filter. It was just sitting in the bay before sucking up a load of hot air!

Some progress and almost completed...

Top of wrapped down pipe - sprayed with thermo-tec copper spray.

IMG_1168.jpg

Up the back of the engine - you can see the v-band join i've put in.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

Gauges for monitoring - a pretty penny!!

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

Half size filter with oil cooler bolted to the block

IMG_1173.jpg

Air filter & duct

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

I want to try and box this in to the bumper to enclose it and duct some fresh air to it from the front.

IMG_1183.jpg

I started it and no leaks except water - from the rad where the welded the 16mm spout is. So took it out and got it re-done and TIG welded. Will go back in the car this weekend and try again! Happy there's no oil or power steering leaks, as I've modded a lot.

MOT is booked for next week and mapping for the week after so not long now! I need to get it back on wheels and check everything now.

Was that on a cold day or a hot day you got those readings, do you know what the air temp was before the cooler and before the turbo? Im only asking because i want to know how my intercooler is performing. I took mine out on a hot day, 20+ degrees, and ran 20psi. My intake charge on my datalog peaked at 50 degrees. But from reading other threads, thats a pretty good figure, considering the air entering the turbo is 20 degrees, but the air leaving the turbo will be around 100 degrees celsius, because compressing the air that much aswell as passing through a glowing hot turbo will increae it a hell of a lot.

I used this calculator to do the calculations http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/intercoolers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will never get a 100% efficient intercooler that will cool the charge down the outside air temps, but ill be watching with interest to see what sort of efficiency you get, definitely a few horses and safer conditions to be had.

I can't remember what the other temps were..

I know I got it mapped in July and it was less than 20 degrees C that day. It was also stuck in front of a wind funnel that could generate 140mph winds - you struggle to move in front of it!

I remember the intercooler not being that cold on the exit - in fact it was warm. We tried move boost but no extra power was produced due to the heat build up. I remember them saying that at 60-65 degrees it starts getting risky for detonation, especially as I could have taken it out on hotter days. This is another reason for going to 70mm boost hoses to all help in reducing the inlet temps. Good hp gains can be had just from making the induction system as efficient as possible.

I'll run the laptop while driving and see what omex says - the sensor is at the end of purple pipe where it connects to the silicone, so fairly close.

Bit of an update:

New boost vents

IMG_1185.jpg

Finally got the car out, but a bit dirty!

IMG_1189.jpg

Made an airbox for my filter:

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

Drilled a pattern of holes for airflow

IMG_1194.jpg

Although now that it's been mapped, I might core some holes through it as the 3mm holes aren't brilliant for airflow I'll admit.

And yesterday, had mapping on it! Couple of pics..

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

That's at around 5,500rpm, full boost.

Result:

Hp at the hubs: 281
Torque at the hubs: 286 lbs ft

They estimated the power at the fly to be a good 350hp - Though I'm not sure myself.

Power delivery has a really good curve, making 260hp at the hubs at around 4,400 rpm and rising to 280, holding all the way to the limiter.

So a pretty good result. They have advised I get the manifold coated for obvious reasons, and put reflective tape under the bonnet!

Cooling is good - struggling to keep the engine at 85.. but much easier to make something warmer than colder!

Had a few minor issues, a coolant hose blew off, but they sorted that,and put my throttle bottle on a lathe to provide a lip for the silicone to bite onto (after it blew off!) And I have a power steering leak from one of my silver soldered joins :-( It had sealed for a few journeys and then let go, I just plugged it with load of super steel glue for the mapping and ordered some more silver solder to do it properly at the weekend.

Didn't really get to try the power on the way home, weather is so bad and it was raining all day yesterday. It feels really strong though!

Won't be coming out until a dry day now - I never plan to be out in it when it's raining or wet, especially after it's re-sprayed!

ScubaSteve said:
deffo needs large holes cant see those 3mm holes providing anything really lol

I know :lol: I plan to holesaw some larger ones in!

Flying Scotsman said:
Damn this car is f***ing awesome!!

Thanks! Should look the part at Ford Fair as it's going for a full re-spray 1st July :)

moondustka said:
ScubaSteve said:
deffo needs large holes cant see those 3mm holes providing anything really lol

I know :lol: I plan to holesaw some larger ones in!

Flying Scotsman said:
Damn this car is f***ing awesome!!

Thanks! Should look the part at Ford Fair as it's going for a full re-spray 1st July :)

What colour will the re-spray be?

Same, in black. The paintwork is shocking at the moment! As some rust on one of the arches and boot lid.

Latest posts

Back