Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma, now going RWD, JWRC

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: Turbo

Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma

Postby moondustka » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:54 pm

Managed to get the cars swapped today - Aubergine one out and Silver one in.. but forgot to get photos.

Anyway here's the Aubergine one nearly stripped

The dash also came out later on, before swapping.

Got a bit carried away and wanted to check the fitment of the MK2 Focus RS brake servo..

The brake reservoir from the Puma fits on the master cylinder - result! But when fitted back onto the servo it's tight against the back so will probably make some spacers for the master cylinder. Other than that, it bolts straight on :-)

Perhaps now is the time to reveal what's going on, although I don't have photos of any progress. The plan is to mount my engine and gearbox in the rear of the car, making it transverse mid-engined, RWD. I'm hoping to have a level of trim similar to a Clio V6, if not better if possible (although I can't mould new plastics, so we'll see).

Car is booked for Fab work at DJM spring next year - should be doing engine mounts and rear geometry, to give me back a rolling shell. Thought about doing it myself but I don't have the equipment to get it all spot on, and if it didn't handle right because the geo was wrong, everything else would be a waste of time.
1 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: 1.7

Postby Brian' » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:23 pm

Wow.. was not expecting this, Ben! Still going to use the built RS-engine I assume?
0 x
Project Smurf Blueish - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=22261"

g-whizz
Project Regular
Project Regular

Postby g-whizz » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:08 pm

moondustka wrote:Source of the post Managed to get the cars swapped today - Aubergine one out and Silver one in.. but forgot to get photos.
....The plan is to mount my engine and gearbox in the rear of the car, making it transverse mid-engined, RWD. I'm hoping to have a level of trim similar to a Clio V6, if not better if possible (although I can't mould new plastics, so we'll see).

Car is booked for Fab work at DJM spring next year - should be doing engine mounts and rear geometry, to give me back a rolling shell. Thought about doing it myself but I don't have the equipment to get it all spot on, and if it didn't handle right because the geo was wrong, everything else would be a waste of time.

Wow... and I wasn't that far out then with my guess Ben, I got the mid-engined bit right, if not the R8 transverse :grin:

Heck of a project, can't wait to see it in the metal :ok:
Last edited by g-whizz on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
My goals are world peace, and a piece of the world... if my plans for a benevolent dictatorship ever come together.

At the moment though am too busy with this: viewtopic.php?t=29348

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

Postby tuonokid » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:32 am

Hi Ben
Aren't DJM the guys who did a very special Reliant Kitten? Well done mate as I was going to contact you to try and sell an MT75 box as I was sure you were going front engine rear wheel drive. :-)
Barry
0 x
2001 ColOrado red Puma 1.7, work in progress.
Westfield SEIW 1800 Zetec.
Building Westfield SEI 2.0 Zetec Blacktop on TBs.
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80
Now working on my sons Anglia 105e

My Project Link - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=23509

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Postby Wild E. Coyote » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:25 am

Well done! You are using the existing 2.0 turbo engine? Thought of taking jaguar 3.0 V6 route...?
0 x

stuvy
Adolescent
Adolescent

Postby stuvy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:48 am

Djm did the 4x4 transverse ka.

With regards to the trim your not thinking enough chap! Make the parts you want out of mar as it's easier to shape and sand and even fill with filler to hide screw heads etc then make a buck and fibreglass the parts needed.... it's so easy to do or you can get someone else to do it for you
0 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby moondustka » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm

g-whizz wrote:
moondustka wrote:Source of the post Managed to get the cars swapped today - Aubergine one out and Silver one in.. but forgot to get photos.
....The plan is to mount my engine and gearbox in the rear of the car, making it transverse mid-engined, RWD. I'm hoping to have a level of trim similar to a Clio V6, if not better if possible (although I can't mould new plastics, so we'll see).

Wow... and I wasn't that far out then with my guess Ben, I got the mid-engined bit right, if not the R8 transverse :grin:

Heck of a project, can't wait to see it in the metal :ok:

:thumbs:

tuonokid wrote:Hi Ben
Aren't DJM the guys who did a very special Reliant Kitten? Well done mate as I was going to contact you to try and sell an MT75 box as I was sure you were going front engine rear wheel drive. :-)
Barry

Yup, I think they're pretty reasonably priced too. I was thinking engine in front and RWD but it's been several times before. Wanted to go different and a bit mental + can use my existing engine and gearbox, less transmission loss too.

Wild E. Coyote wrote:Well done! You are using the existing 2.0 turbo engine? Thought of taking jaguar 3.0 V6 route...?

:thumbs: I am using the RS engine and gearbox, yea

stuvy wrote:Djm did the 4x4 transverse ka.

With regards to the trim your not thinking enough chap! Make the parts you want out of mar as it's easier to shape and sand and even fill with filler to hide screw heads etc then make a buck and fibreglass the parts needed.... it's so easy to do or you can get someone else to do it for you

What's mar? Are you offering to do it for me? :lol:
Last edited by moondustka on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby moondustka » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm

Here's where I'm at, with a little more progress on the Silver one. Seats and carpet out. Started poking around with the screwdriver and there are several holes, I'm not surprised mind, worst of it is round the rear arches and rear sills which is normal. The areas on the floor are normal too, it's where the sealer cracks underneath and then water sits in there and rusts upwards through the floor.

Sorry, nothing exciting yet but has to be done :-)
0 x

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby XAF » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Ben, just seen the number plate of your donor Puma. It's not from the Car People in Yorkshire originally is it? Back in the day I used to go out with a girl who had a silver Y reg Puma ending HVY...

And rusty or not, that abergine she'll still looks stunning colour wise. Wish someone would give it a home.
0 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

stuvy
Adolescent
Adolescent

Postby stuvy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:03 pm

I could do but I'm not cheap!
0 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby moondustka » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:28 pm

XAF wrote:Source of the post Ben, just seen the number plate of your donor Puma. It's not from the Car People in Yorkshire originally is it? Back in the day I used to go out with a girl who had a silver Y reg Puma ending HVY...

And rusty or not, that abergine she'll still looks stunning colour wise. Wish someone would give it a home.

It has Blackpool plates on I think?

The aubergine one isn't rusty at all really, tiny bit on one arch, bit of light surface rust on the inside of the rear arches at sill level (I'm being picky here) and there is one biro sized hole by the drivers right foot, next to the sill. That is it!

The Silver one has several holes in the floor and rotten arches. One of the inner sills inside the rear quarter isn't attached anymore.. all that to sort out now.

And I agree, wish someone would give the Aubergine one a home.
0 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby moondustka » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:30 pm

stuvy wrote:Source of the post I could do but I'm not cheap!

As an electrician, I'm not that cheap either, but you get what you pay for. Still something to keep in mind then. What's mar?
0 x

Frank
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Frank » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:21 pm

moondustka wrote:Source of the post
What's mar? Are you offering to do it for me? :lol:

stuvy wrote:Source of the post
I could do but I'm not cheap!

I think until you've explained what 'mar' is, then your cheapness or otherwise in its use is pretty well moot.
0 x

stuvy
Adolescent
Adolescent

Postby stuvy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Sorry chaps I missed this.

Mar is autocorrect for mdf!!
1 x

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

Postby tuonokid » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:13 am

Hi Ben
Chance to get rid of the power steering now with the motor in the back. With the alignment of the Zetec E you have a great source of heated seats :grin:
Barry
0 x
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80

Robyorks
Project Regular
Project Regular

Postby Robyorks » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:32 am

If you lived a bit closer I would be tempted...
0 x

stuvy
Adolescent
Adolescent

Postby stuvy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:00 am

Wakey isn't that bad. Depending on the level of your build it something that could work for both of us as iv had 3 cars mag featured, show winners and a concours winner from my old work too!
0 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby moondustka » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:32 pm

stuvy wrote:Sorry chaps I missed this.

Not sure about MDF to be honest - it's quite heavy! I need it to be as light as possible around the engine.

Chance to get rid of the power steering now with the motor in the back. With the alignment of the Zetec E you have a great source of heated seats :grin:
Barry

Do you think? I did look at getting a manual rack (Mk4 fiesta) but I then decided to keep power steering. I'm going to put A/C back in too 8-)

Yes, because of the flow of the engine, behind the seats might be quite hot. Really the flow is the wrong way round. However, what is good is that this engine tipped forward which will be better for weight distribution.
0 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby moondustka » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Also, while I remember, anyone know what to do when the VIN number has rusted out.. i.e. the letters have turned into holes :?
1 x

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby XAF » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:11 pm

moondustka wrote:Source of the post Also, while I remember, anyone know what to do when the VIN number has rusted out.. i.e. the letters have turned into holes :?

Weld over the hole! As long as you've the plate on the dash it's all legal. Same happened to mine and just cut out the rusted vin and had it plated over
1 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

Postby tuonokid » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi Ben
The power steering will be too much without an engine to weigh it down, you'll get the full feel of the road without it and less to go wrong (look at the length of hoses you'd need).
Barry
0 x
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80

g-whizz
Project Regular
Project Regular

Postby g-whizz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:56 pm

Not sure about MDF to be honest - it's quite heavy! I need it to be as light as possible around the engine.

I might very well be wrong about this but I think Stuvy meant using the MDF for creating patterns of the pieces you want and then forming fibreglass pieces from bucks of those patterns?

Mind, if he did mean just using MDF for the pieces then can I suggest some nice laminate flooring instead of carpeting to go with it :lol:
0 x
My goals are world peace, and a piece of the world... if my plans for a benevolent dictatorship ever come together.

At the moment though am too busy with this: viewtopic.php?t=29348

red
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Model: Other

Postby red » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:04 pm

^^ That's what I assumed once the mar bit was cleared up. Create it in MDF then make it out of Fibreglass
1 x
FRP#0201 (2000) 2009-2011
Melina Blue (1999) 2006-2009
Moondust Silver (2000) 2006

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Postby Wild E. Coyote » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:15 am

Much easier is to use expanded polyurethane blocks which are then gelcoated. Polyurethane is soooo easy to sand, you can cut it (no need for sawing through) and after gelcoating it is as good as it can get for glassing
0 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby moondustka » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:00 am

The power steering will be too much without an engine to weigh it down, you'll get the full feel of the road without it and less to go wrong (look at the length of hoses you'd need).
Barry

I was thinking I would have to slow the pump down somehow - bigger pulley maybe, but its already quite big.

Length of hose shouldn't be a problem, I was also thinking that I may not need the cooling loop if I run aluminium pipes down the car as they will do a similar job.

I just don't want the steering to be heavy at slow moving speeds. There will be the weight of fuel at front, with radiators and coolant. But I guess this will be approx. 50-60kg together.

Steering didn't seem too light before with less weight than the Focus. If I don't put it in maybe I'll still put fixings for pipes in down the car.

g-whizz wrote:

I might very well be wrong about this but I think Stuvy meant using the MDF for creating patterns of the pieces you want and then forming fibreglass pieces from bucks of those patterns?

Mind, if he did mean just using MDF for the pieces then can I suggest some nice laminate flooring instead of carpeting to go with it :lol:

Oh I see :oops:

red wrote:^^ That's what I assumed once the mar bit was cleared up. Create it in MDF then make it out of Fibreglass

Wild E. Coyote wrote:Much easier is to use expanded polyurethane blocks which are then gelcoated. Polyurethane is soooo easy to sand, you can cut it (no need for sawing through) and after gelcoating it is as good as it can get for glassing

I may have to do some research into this when the time comes!
0 x

Return to “ProjectPuma”