Thunder - Crash Damaged Project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfrp88

One July morning I was browsing through eBay when I came across this..

T2eC16JHJHoE9n3Kd75CBP-hSWu8pQ60_58.jpg

Now, me being me, the nice guy that I am :p , I wasn't prepared to allow someone to buy this and break it for spares. So I got bidding :grin:
If it was the standard model I wouldn't have bothered, but you may have noticed that I have a soft spot for Thunders.

So, after winning the auction I paid the guy to deliver it to our spare garage. As it had been off the road since April I decided to give it a bath :eek:k:

002.jpg

Having properly assessed the damage, I popped down to my local breakers and they kindly cut the front end off another Puma for me :-D

DSCF1422.jpg

Now that I have some available space on my drive, last night I got it dropped off and I started work on it this morning :-D
Looks like I'm going to be busy for a good few weeks :lol:

DSCF1412.jpg

I was thinking that too... but seeing as they've cut me the whole front end off I may aswell make use of it and repair it properly :eek:k:

Also sourced this second hand bumper for the tidy sum of £20 :eek:k:
After a good clean and polish its come up a treat :cool:

DSCF1401.jpg

No, cat C this one.. I was shocked to be honest :shock:

Providing it doesn't pee it down tomorrow before I go to work, I'll get that old, twisted front panel off :eek:k:

Made a bit of progress today before I went to work..

Made a cut to the slam to straighten the crease out at the inner wing

DSCF1423.jpg

DSCF1425.jpg

Also made a cut in the X member to straighten it out

DSCF1427.jpg

How it stands at the moment

DSCF1429.jpg

I had similar damage to my car, glad you can keep the majority of your slam panel.
There was a thuder recently had a great repair job done on it from similar means, you should have a look for it.

Yeah I think I know which one you mean, the Magnum one with front and rear end damage?.... I was nearly buying it but the seller was asking way too much for it.

Right then guys, got back from Torquay yesterday and I couldn't wait to get cracking! :thumbs:

Spent a few hours on it today removing the remainder of the front panel and was pleased to discover that the chassis legs and inner wings hadn't moved even 1 mm after comparing them with my donor :eek:k:

DSCF1558_zpsa1d7f991.jpg

Removed the parts off the donor front panel that I didn't need

DSCF1557_zpsa8f04114.jpg

I then tacked the panel into place and fitted the front end parts to confirm the alignment

DSCF1561_zps3ecf331d.jpg

Ended up with this! :thumbs:

DSCF1567_zps8a9ea78c.jpg

DSCF1566_zps63e68b7f.jpg

DSCF1565_zpse1630288.jpg

I plan on fully welding it in place and painting it tomorrow... providing that it doesn't lash it down :-D

Made a bit more progress today inbetween showers :roll:

Finally have the front end finished and now I can start the arches :thumbs:

DSCF1572_zpsaf5faf6b.jpg

DSCF1569_zps81dad38a.jpg

DSCF1574_zps8ed919df.jpg

DSCF1576_zpsb02ebd83.jpg

DSCF1577_zps7192a6f0.jpg

DSCF1580_zps68740d0d.jpg

DSCF1583_zpsada6fd58.jpg

DSCF1584_zpsea2f0733.jpg

DSCF1587_zps6a14bb95.jpg

DSCF1592_zpsda92efaf.jpg

Might not be an AMAZING project, but at least it's one more saved from the crusher :eek:k:

Excellent progress, probably still a few mm to find on the bonnet but that shouldn't be a problem to tweak. Looking very good mate.

Love finding parts in colour, doesn't half make the job easier.

Cheers fella. Final alignment is on the list for tomorrow as well as a full service and engine bay jet wash. :eek:k:

Too right mate, finding the parts in the right colour makes it a hell of a lot cheaper also :eek:k:

Right then guys, got the final panel alignment done today... in the rain.. my neighbours think I'm mad! :grin:
Quite pleased with it to be honest, not bad for a DIY job :eek:k: . Next ...... ARCHES! :lol:

DSCF1601.jpg

DSCF1602.jpg

DSCF1603.jpg

DSCF1604.jpg

Right.. think it's about time I updated this :lol:

Finally made a lot of progress with this now..

Got loads of bits and bobs for it as well as fitting a Toad alarm system to it :eek:k:

Also got this off my favourite auction site for less than £100 delivered :thumbs:
This will eventually bolt to a Hoffmann race tube centre section and standard back box. I'll be running it on a TAPE ECU so I don't have any issues with the Engine Management System.

Again from eBay, managed to get hold of some new discs and pads for the front and new flexi as well as mental pipes all round.

New wishbones

New drop links

After fitting the new brakes it was time to tackle the arches..

Both sides have plenty of Waxoyl on the insides of the arches. That should keep the rust away for a few more years.

All put back together ready for the MOT and VIC check on 8th July.. Then it'll finally be back on the road after 15 months :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back