T464 PNB - "Smokey Joe"

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGPlayer1

Hey all, welcome to my (re)build thread. I thought it was about time, seeing as i've had the car since Dec '10. I hope my trickle of mods and what not will entertain you over the next however long it is. Cheers!

So a brief history of the car first: It's a 1999 Black 1.4 Lux (Series 1.5 you know) that i picked up from a scrap yard for just £350. The shell was in good nick and it had eveything except leather, so it was a bargain right? Well, no, the engine had been run without oil and the bottom end was chewed and making one hell of a noise, that was after it had been unseized of course. That was at 89000 miles, it's now on 95500 and had a new set of big end shells. However i can't rev it over 2500rpm or it burns all the oil away through it having virtually no piston rings, which is why it has no compression (not tested yet) and no power. But that hasn't stopped me!

First port of call is addressing the wheels, tyres, brakes and suspension. I've not gone for anything too special or mind blowing, just your Mondeo 16" rims, 40mm drop on GMax dampers and Mondeo/ST170 300mm brake conversion. At the back i'm also rocking 20.5mm axle spacers. Also LingLong tyres kick ass.

02_zps2816f2b9.jpg

03_zpscaca61bf.jpg

So that's your basics covered. Now it became time to attack the rear arches, which i did,with the help of my brother, over the last week or so. As far as Puma rear arches go, they weren't too bad. That, it turned out, was because they'd already been done before :oops: So a lot of filler removal and depression followed. But hey, what is Puma ownership all about?

This is the good side!

05_zps8f2747b7.jpg

Action shot. And remember kids; always wear your safety specs when grinding because it makes you look cool.

07_zps67750cca.jpg

The results of all that ^

08_zpsc87d104c.jpg

09_zpsa52089f7.jpg

Donor 206 wing. GLX cause i'm cool.

06_zps80c653c9.jpg

For those that don't know, you use the right wing for the left arch and the left wing for the right arch. The profile is bang on.

OK so the wings have been cut up and spot welded on

10_zps31a5f08e.jpg

11_zps51dad3de.jpg

The next step was sealing it up so they won't rust again (yeah right). This meant packing them out with expanding foam, which was really quite difficult by the way, sealing the outer seam with JB Weld (because it dries hard so if you sand through the filler then it won't be all soft and gooey) and then shaving the foam when it's dry and covering it all in seam sealer.

12_zps993c1ff8.jpg

13_zpsd31891bc.jpg

14_zpsc1f7130e.jpg

Once that's done it's time to hit it with filler. We used P38, just the one coat because we ran out :oops: and then three coats of Polydur Zinc putty, sanding after each coat had hardened.

15_zpsd4c2ecf0.jpg

After a few days of procrastination we hit it with the paint. One coat of build primer followed by two coats of aerosol grey primer.

18_zps52a58867.jpg

It's hungry work this, time to eat. What is it? Pancakes. Mmmmmmm...

16_zpsbf060804.jpg

17_zps39ca96bd.jpg

Once that was all done with it was colour time. Two coats of Panther Black, three coats of clear lacquer, plenty of hot air. The next day I filled the arches with Body Schutz and it was back on the road, awaiting buffing in a few days.

19_zpsfba6b6da.jpg

20_zps6c3b0915.jpg

Now that ain't bad is it?

I also took the grille out, just for fun. Also it got drawn on a lot seeing as it was covered, i mean heavily, in filler dust. Won't have done the paint any good but what can ya do?

21_zps9c2f308a.jpg

04_zps99f8a75c.jpg

That kind of highlights the next job, new engine! It's gonna be 1.7 time soon, woop.

Stay tuned.

surely for all the extra time it would have taken to rebuild the inner arch with steel, putting expanding foam in was a terrible bodge, you look to have made a really nice job of the outers as well and then ruined the job by bodgeing the inners, expanding foam absorbs water so in effect your inner quarters are now going to fill up with water , even fibre glass would have been better than expandorotfoam

i have seen the results of using expanding foam, my mates uno turbo was fully rebuilt in 2002 by avanti , full hormann bodykit fittted and they used expanding foam to stop panel vibration ...5 years after it was basically just the foam left, it had held that much water the steel disolved leaving the body kit and the foam, funnily enough the rot stopped exactly where the expanding foam stopped :-(

That's what the coat of seam sealer and schutz were for. Both of which were applied heavily. Plus the 206 wings had the factory rust protection gear on them. On top of that we didn't have any fibreglass at the time, nor the skill or patience.

Cheers guys, i try to entertain 8)

Well with Ford Fair in just over 3 months, it's time to begin the show prep. Everyday i find something new that needs attention, so what is there so far:

New engine
Black interior
Bucket seats
Paint wheels
Get smoked repeaters
New N/S rear light cluster
New fog lamps
Rusty exhaust
Front splitter
Rear brake upgrade
Paint chips
Buff & wax

I think that's it for now. Money may prevent some of those but for the most part i just want it shiny and nice for FF.

Also, anyone who has some stuff they want to sell me that would help me in my quest to not spend too much money prepping it, feel free to get in touch :-D

Cheers pal. Although it won't be quite as regular as some others :roll: I'll try and earn some money, for your sake!

MOT day!

And i missed it, again. Although it was only by 4 days this time, not 4 weeks :roll:

Not so great.

Ah well, good job i'm, off on holiday on Monday :lol:

Easy. Couple of bushes, brake pipe and some welding to fix up the body. As for the engine, 20/50 oil and some thickener and it's no more smoke. Anyway the long goal is 1.7 swap so just need to butter up the tester.

that looks far worse then it is, bar the dash takes about 30mins to strip that all out if you know what your doing :p

will take a little longer than 30 minutes to put it all back correctly though.

what's it all apart for chap?

Yeah i think it took me like 2 hours to get the dash out, but it was the first time so i had no idea what was happening :roll:

It's all apart because i'm swapping the terrible blue interior for a nice black one, or grey, depending on your views, then putting in some buckets, which require me to fabricate some frames. Luckily i'm only putting half the interior back in and i'm gonna spray the back in black. And line the headlining in "alcantara".

Then i've just gotta respray the wheels and clean the shit out of it.

The good news is that by taking the carpet out i could get all the bits of glass out :lol:

This car has had a hard life i tell you.

Got my shiny new seats in now. Nice 7 hour fabrication job on the frames last night. In the garage till 1am :zzz:

Same again tonight, just painting wheels, yaaaaaaaay.

Well, it's been months since the last update, the reason being, it's been months since the last time anything's happened to the car. So that's that then.

Apart from these of course, very kindly bought for me by my brother, although he wouldn't tell me how cheap they were, might take the edge off the generosity :lol:

8 balls yaaaaay! I'm looking at an 8 ball gearknob too, probably start a theme, seeing as it's all black and white already. Cliché i know but who gives eh?

Latest posts

Back