Project Sky Blue (Now TURBO'd)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian'

Hello and Welcome!

My name is Brian. As of writting this I'm 17 years old I'm from The Netherlands. As my first car I bought a Ford Puma. It is a Moondust Silver from 07-15-1998. It has the 1.7L engine.
When I first got her I gave her a full service at a local garage, which included new discs and pads, they also changed the handbrake cable which didn't do anything according to them. After they solved these things I asked them to give it a new MOT which was also needed, After all the work they did it passed with flying colours.

However they told me if I wanted to drive it for a few more year I should look into the rust it got, Especially on the sill, Arches aren't that bad one side has bubbles the other one has no sign of rust.

I don't really have a lot of plans with this car, Just want to improve it in some bits, As I'm 17 years old I'm not allowed to drive it alone yet, Here in the Netherlands we have something called 2ToDrive, which means that you're able to get your drivers license on the age of 17 however you're not allowed to drive on your own. You need a special card, On this card you're allowed to register 4 coaches. With these 4 coaches you're allowed to drive on the public roads. The day you turn 18 you're allowed to drive alone.

Things I would like to improve/need to do will be written down below, This list will either grow or decrease over time. I will try to update this as much as possible to make it orderly

After a few months of lurking on this forum I decided to make my own project thread to keep all of you up-to-date, I will try to update this thread as I go along, Hopefully I'm able to post as much pictures as possible so that there is more to enjoy that words.

Lets start, This is when I bought her. I have to admit, for the price I paid it is a pretty solid car. But it has it's problems. The driver side window (left side here) goes up badly, You really need to help it up otherwise it won't shut, I've tried some WD40 inside the sliders and it does go better, However it might be the window rubbers that goes above the window as that's badly corroded where the window shuts.:
IMG_0042_zps6ff7310b.jpg

IMG_0067_zpsf9f90af8.jpg

Modifications:

DONE

cmfKqfG.png
Mats (It didn't came with mats)
cmfKqfG.png
Puma logos on the 1/4 windows
cmfKqfG.png
Rubber frontlip (This one was missing)
cmfKqfG.png
Screwcovers (Alchemy blue)
cmfKqfG.png
4 new tyres (Uniroyal Rainsport 2 in 195/50/R15)
cmfKqfG.png
DMB Graphics overlays (Black-Red)
cmfKqfG.png
ProjectPuma.com stickers for the 1/4 windows
cmfKqfG.png
Paint gearknob
cmfKqfG.png
Front Splitter (Richard Mansfield)
cmfKqfG.png
Leather gear gaiter (Red stitch)
cmfKqfG.png
Leather handbrake gaiter (Red stitch)
cmfKqfG.png
Mudflaps (Genuine Ford flaps)
cmfKqfG.png
Clear/Smoked side repeaters
cmfKqfG.png
Paint the brake drums black (Hammerite)
cmfKqfG.png
New steering wheel
cmfKqfG.png
Rust repair (arches)
cmfKqfG.png
Piper 3,5'' outwardly rolled backbox
cmfKqfG.png
Painted the carpet/Doorpanels
cmfKqfG.png
New rear wiper
cmfKqfG.png
Sparco R100's
cmfKqfG.png
Paint the calibers red
cmfKqfG.png
Flocked dashboard
cmfKqfG.png
Underbody seal/rust protection
cmfKqfG.png
ST150 brake upgrade, with Mintex M1144 pads and National Sport discs.
cmfKqfG.png
Borbet Type E 15x7J with the Uniroyal Tyres from the Propellors

FUTURE

hoMFB79.png
Retrim rear seats so they match the front seats
hoMFB79.png
Re-weld the seat rails to make it lower and centered.

UNSURE

zIwhCel.png

Photos of the finished modifications:

cmfKqfG.png
Mats:
IMG_06001_zpsf6bef1a6.jpg

cmfKqfG.png
Puma logos:
IMG_05972_zps353de264.jpg

cmfKqfG.png
Rubber frontlip:
IMG_05981_zpsdf382749.jpg

cmfKqfG.png
Screwcovers:
IMG_06011_zps2eab3f66.jpg

IMG_06021_zpsd3efee39.jpg

cmfKqfG.png
Tyres:
IMG_1415_zpsdf35e7ec.jpg

Will be doing most of the things myself, Expect for things I'm not capable of (such as clutches and so on) I would really like to do most things myself, but having a dad that doesn't like that I don't always have the choice. I've never done anything like this before so I may make a few mistakes in the process, But it's a learning curve which excites me.
Hope you all like it. I'll keep you updated :p

cmfKqfG.png
Clear/Cleaned Headlights

Last week I've wet sanded my headlights. They were really blurry so I decided (after gathering some information on the internet) to wet sand them. I used 600 grid and 1200 grid. After that I've polished them with Meguiars PlastX and waxed them with TurtleWax.

Here are some pictures:
IMG_1534_zpsfa6fae04.jpg

IMG_1536_zpsf65c1f65.jpg

IMG_1543_zpsc8991e73.jpg

Cleaned the plastic bits:
IMG_1575_zps521de648.jpg

They were this blurry:
IMG_1578_zpsb5513cda.jpg

Result(Photo made with my phone so I may not look like a clear headlight):
IMG_06061_zpsf7d11320.jpg

QUESTION: Now I've removed the UV-layer. Is it possible to buy a new UV-layer. Because otherwise they will be blurry again in 2-3 months.

cmfKqfG.png
Wash/Waxed Puma :)

Today I've been busy washing the car. After that I've waxed the whole car.
It was my first time waxing a car. Whole process took about 2 hours (my Dad was helping me :p)

Photos:
Roof:
IMG_1765_zps80a79e08.jpg

Beautiful reflection :D
IMG_1766_zpse0ad7df5.jpg

IMG_1767_zps3d8ac7ff.jpg

IMG_1768_zps2bdc77db.jpg

A Puma said:
QUESTION: Now I've removed the UV-layer. Is it possible to buy a new UV-layer. Because otherwise they will be blurry again in 2-3 months.

You can buy a clear laquer with UV protection. I think I saw Würth has something like that in their portfolio. Or any other would do I guess.... :?:

Or just go for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmW45X9J1Wg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: found it: wurth 0893158 polymer surface protector offers also UV protection

Worth:
http://www.wurth.co.uk/data/productdocuments/080645.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Croatia Wurth has its own store where you can buy all the stuff they produce.....
My guess would be something similar exist in Netherlands :?:

Edit: it does...

http://www.wurth.nl/shops/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cmfKqfG.png
DMB Graphics Overlays
cmfKqfG.png
ProjectPuma club stickers

Had some time so I've fitted them.

Front:
IMG_06171_zpsa3e70d43.jpg

Back:
IMG_06151_zps1d43c3c8.jpg

ProjectPuma sticker:
IMG_06161_zpse9e4b177.jpg

Promoting ProjectPuma here in The Netherlands :)

Well done on all the work so far. Mostly subtle things but I like your attention to detail.

Hope you put your lights back together well as it may cause more condensation in the future as it happens anyway. I just cleaned the inside of mine while it was still one piece and managed easily enough.

Keep up the good work :eek:k:

A Puma said:
zIwhCel.png
New steering wheel (Maybe a Zetec S with red leather?? - don't know if this is a straight fit in the Puma.)

Why not join us on the epic croation steering wheel thread? Get one made to how you want!

Car looks nice :thumbs:

You might find you already have 12mm spacers on the rear as early models had a narrower axle with 12mm spacers on.

quest63 said:
Car looks nice :thumbs:

You might find you already have 12mm spacers on the rear as early models had a narrower axle with 12mm spacers on.
Oh really, Might check that first before ordering spacers. Thanks for the heads up ;)

Hello ProjectPuma,

Today my new exhaust backbox came in the mail. Ordered it at Larkspeed in the UK and the shipping went well :eek:k:
Took me atleast 5 minutes to unwrap it! :p :
IMG_08821_zpsfd948bd7.jpg

After I've unwrapped it:
IMG_08631_zpsdb43e065.jpg

The exhaust tailpipe appears larger than I though it would be. It's a 3,5'' Piper outwardly rolled backbox.
It's only the backbox at the moment but this may change in the future :lol:

The backbox will be fitted next week's Friday. So let the wait begin... :cry:

This is how big the exhaust is, It looks really big if you compare it to me (6,28'' , 190cm)
IMG_08681_zpsda86232f.jpg

IMG_08791_zpsb419ce85.jpg

IMG_08771_zpsd5a25b41.jpg

This is it for now
You will hear from me soon 8)

Got the exhaust backbox fitted yesterday. And wow, It looks so nice :) - And the sound it makes is also very nice and suits the car really well.

Pictures say more than words;

Will also make a comparison video in the future, comparing the old backbox sound vs the new backbox sound.

Latest posts

Back