Smurf Blueish

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder
Model: 1.7

Re: Project Moondust Silver - Milltek/Underside/Painted allo

Postby tuonokid » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Well done Brian, it's a lot of work but it's worth it.
Barry
0 x
2001 ColOrado red Puma 1.7, work in progress.
Westfield SEIW 1800 Zetec.
Building Westfield SEI 2.0 Zetec Blacktop on TBs.
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80
Now working on my sons Anglia 105e

My Project Link - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=23509

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Clemo wrote:I'm pleased it arrived safely, even at all, the parcel looked as though I'd wrapped a small child in bubble wrap and posted them!,

Hehe, kinda :P
0 x
Project Smurf Blueish - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=22261"

yippeekiay
Project Elder
Project Elder
Model: Other

Postby yippeekiay » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:01 pm

Nice write up and good work.
Wish I had a grandpa with a barn and lift!
0 x
PUMAImageRX8Image
Meet(s) Attended:- 2008;- Dec-Gateshead 2009;- Jan-Yorks' D, Mar-Leic', Apr-Derby D/Alton T, May-FITP, Jun-Chats', Jul/Aug-Euro Tour, Aug-Hi Force 2010;- May-Nurb'. Aug-FF. Sep-NE Mini Meet 2011;- Feb-Martin B'day, Apr-Nurb1', May-POD(WON), May-FITP, Jun-Nurb2', Aug-FF, Sep-Sheffield, Nov-Stafford(RX) 2012;- Sep-Sheffield 2013;- Mar-Rockingham Next Meet(s):- 2013;- ?????

rnnicol
Project Regular
Project Regular

Postby rnnicol » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Interesting reading, when you fitted the manifold did you also remove the heat shields from around the cat area, and one last thing, did you have to remove the drive shaft to get it in place.

I'm currently doing the underside of my car, and loosing the will to live, I've removed the exhaust, drive shaft to get the cat out, fuel tank etc, got rust, no that's not right, I've got huge holes in the inner sills, that I hope can be repaired.

Anyway, good effort, and you've not gone mad, when I clearly have ha ha.
0 x

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

Postby tuonokid » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:16 pm

You don't have to remove the driveshafts to get the cat out. If you take off the exhaust manifold with the cat it comes out from above into the engine bay.
Barry
0 x
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80

rnnicol
Project Regular
Project Regular

Postby rnnicol » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:41 pm

Ok, ill put it all back together, should I keep the cat heat shields, or remove them, not sure if they will get in the way of the 4:2:1manifold.
0 x

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

Postby tuonokid » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:47 pm

If the 4 branch has stud holes in the top you can use the top heat shields but the back one won't fit. I was going to heat wrap mine but never got around to doing it. To get the four branch on you need to go from underneath so you will need the car high in the air and also to take out one of the bolts on the gearbox stabiliser so you can move the bottom of the engine forward to get enough clearance.
Barry

PS Brian sorry for hijacking your post.
0 x
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:04 pm

tuonokid wrote:PS Brian sorry for hijacking your post.

Haha no problem, Everything you said is correct and useful to someone else! It sure was a bit of a pain to remove the old system that's for sure, Especially if the heatshield on top has rounded bolts :P
0 x

rnnicol
Project Regular
Project Regular

Postby rnnicol » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Thanks for the info, the original exhaust is rusted, so the plan eventually is to put a nice one back in, I had to grind the nuts of also on the top heat shields, ill leave the rest in for now. It's good to see other folks projects coming on, as you can get stuck with your own somtimes.
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Been busy with the Puma. A thing that keeps bugging me was the broken headlamp adjuster in the RH headlamp. So I decided to tackle that problem and fix it with a new (used) leveler bought from Ian. I used the guide I found on ProjectPuma which was really helpful!

Was really hard to remove the top clips as they were really stiff, I was also scared to break something :P
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Because I'm back to school, and not able to get there by car because of parking costs, I have time to do some mods I wanted to do long time ago. Which is Powerflex bushes and coilovers. On advice of Noobrider I went for the TA Technix coilovers, they are not yet at my place so don't have photos of that yet. Also chose Powerflex bushes as they are great quality and I read mixed reviews on the cheap Flo-flexes. Powerflex bushes are also not yet at my place but should be here tomorrow.

So because I don't use the Puma as a daily now I can take it off the road for a few days/one week so that's what I did. Already went and removed the wishbones which were kind of hard to remove because one bolt that goes through the lower rear bush was really stuck! The bolt really have seen better days..

Here is a comparison which new bolts including the pinch bolts which were in bad state aswell.

One of the wishbones' balljoint rubber was faulty so had to be replaced, Have bought the part but not yet fitted on the wishbone

So after that I removed the other bushes that were in the wishbone which was a piece of cake really :P

After that I decided to give it a new lick of paint

Til now everything was not that hard to do.. Until I started on the rear beam bushes.. :roll:
Ream beam bushes really was a **** in the ass.. Literally took about 1,5-2,0 hours per side to remove the bush, Once removed gave a really satisificing feeling!

So now it's waiting for the replacing parts which should arrive before the weekend! Keep you update :)
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Re: Project Moondust Silver

Postby Brian' » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:23 pm

Got the Powerflex bushes yesterday.Had the afternoon off so had one of the wishbones fitted. Today I have done the rest but the rear bushes. Rear bushes are not fully in yet but was tired. Will finish it tomorrow, TA Technix coilovers haven't arrived yet so should be Tuesday/Wednesday before that arrives.

Pictures should follow once I made a few.. Kind of hard to make photos while your hands are covered in lot and lots of copper grease :P
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:50 pm

All poly bushes are in, Rear beam ones were easy to fit. Bushes really make a difference and solved my problem I had when turning to the right(viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28547)

Guess what it was.. One of the bolts that hold the wishbones' lower bush was a bit loose. Good thing I bought new bolts for it now it's nice and solid again! Really happy with it! Haven't made photos yet but will do next time! :thumbs:
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:05 am

Another parcel I was waiting for were coilovers. On advice of Nick (Noobrider) I went with TA Technix, found them cheap at a german store for €270 incl. shipping which is roughly 190GBP, bargain if I say so myself. Fitting them was really easy to do, Make sure you grease the threads really well, will make life easier when you want to adjust it ;)

At first the car was at it's lowest setting, however the TA Technix set does lower really well on the rear but not on the front, It also causes to scrape my exhaust on higher speedbumps. It's now about 2cm higher then the lowest setting but it's still settling in so will probably drop another cm.

Coilovers fitted and set to my desired ride height, about 35cm from the centercap at the front and 34cm at the rear.

What the set looks like, brand new and shiny :thumbs:

How they sit atm:

After that I decided to wrap the doorcards in faux suede to make it more classy inside :P - Result came out really well, Thanks to a guide here I knew that I could remove the plastic rivets, makes it really easy and a lot neater because you can hide the extra suede at back of the panel so that it sits nice and flat no rough edges.

Interior is starting to look awesome! Few things need to be redone or added such as the seat frame needs adjusting to the inside of the cabin it's not properly centered and this has been like to for almost a year.. I'm used to it :P - I might change the steering wheel to something more black that will suit the rest, the floor mats need changing and I might get the rear seats retrimmed in the fabric of my sparco seats, not sure if this fabric is available though.

All comments welcome :thumbs:
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:14 pm

Managed to do some more work on the Puma. I bought old frames of a Puma seat and removed the frame so that I can use that to rebuild my own custom frame.

So I removed the frame from the seat, faster that I used an angle grinder to remove the mounting points of the seatframe.
This is what it should look like:

What needs doing now is to get them leveled, after that I can weld on the slider and mount it to my Sparco seat. Should be a tad lower aswell! Currently it's about the level of the FRP which is already a bit lower that the standard seat due to the seating position however a bit lower would be even greater!

Will most likely continue next weekend, I think it will be a lot of effort to get it right. But I want it to be perfect now!

To be continued!
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Continued making the seat frame, It's not welded yet as it will need a bit more work but the shape is there. Even test-fitted it and it was better than expected cuz I only grinded back the 'guide' frames and made them flat. After that I decided to mount the frame to my seat and check for any height difference. So that needs sorting. However to make it flat I put a sidecutter underneath it and had a test-sit. Really, If I am able to weld it like this it is spot on, It's as low as it gets with a bottom-mounted seat, sits straight and centered how it supposed to be.

Only thing left to do is to weld up the first frame and start making the next frame for the drivers side. Tomorrow is welding-day for me. Can't wait :P

Did make a few photos but they turned out blurry because of the lightning, Will make some tomorrow might be handy for someone else.
0 x

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

Postby tuonokid » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:43 am

Hi Brian
Well done with all the work, I hope you manage to lower the seats as I want to do the same.
Barry
0 x
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Passenger side (driver side UK) is done and turned out great, better than I expected! Really happy with the result :lol:

Managed to drop the seat a whole 8cm and is now at the lowest setting it possibly can go. Went from 12cm headspace to 20cm headspace, Awesome difference. Only managed to finish the passenger side today as there was a lot of measurement needed to get it spot on. The seat has been in and out about 10 times today just to check if it's still correct :P

Did make some pictures, Not the greatest since they're phone pictures.. But I think you guys will get the idea ;)

Start with this one, The left seats' frame is rebuild to the 'more' lower frame which you clearly can see:

As seen on this picture you can see how low the seatframe actually is. Literally on the ground tbh :P - Top of the seat is about square with the belt on the B-pillar

Height difference seen from the base of the seat, Not a great photo but might be useful to someone.

Next weekend will be the drivers side. Will make some detailed pictures of the frame itself aswell, Needs to get painted first looks quite the mess right now.. :-D
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Postby Brian' » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:41 pm

Second frame is ready to be welded, Hopefully my brother has time tomorrow or the day after :thumbs:
0 x

Tommy_Puma
Adolescent
Adolescent

Postby Tommy_Puma » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:44 am

Love what you have done to your seat frame, I could do woth doing the same! Im 6ft 2" and struggling for headroom
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Project Moondust Silver

Postby Brian' » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:46 pm

Finally bit the bullet and brought the Puma to a welder to get rid of all the rust. Luckly it's only one arch and a few sill bits to sort out. Other arch is in mint condition even in the arch itself (interior)

Made some photos over the weekend of what I've done, as seen in the pictures you can see that I removed the sound deadening (most of it I forgot a few pieces).

I have done this because after it's welded it will get a full respray (in and out). Guess by who? Yep.. by me :P - Color is still a secret, althrough is quite flashy!

Now for the pictures:

All bits removed. Drove around a few days without any interior at all only one front seat. Was so noise but so much fun :P

Another reason it's getting welded is if I needs to go to MOT now it would probably fail on one vital bit.. Which is this crusty bit on the sill:

Besides that bad bit the rest seems to be pretty solid, no holes in the floor at all! The welder said it shouldn't be too much work so hope to have the car back in 2-3 weeks. Then the hard work for me begins.. the prepping of the paint!

Also managed to test fit my brothers wheels for his XR3i. I think they looks really good, however can't convince him to sell them to me :(

Will try and keep this thread up to date over the coming weeks/months!
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Project Moondust Silver

Postby Wild E. Coyote » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Like the wheel! Convince him :grin:
1 x

moondustka
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: Turbo

Project Moondust Silver

Postby moondustka » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:39 pm

I like the wheel too!
1 x

tuonokid
Project Elder
Project Elder

Project Moondust Silver

Postby tuonokid » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:39 am

Me too :-)
1 x
Fiesta Style 1.25
Aprilia Tuono Factory.
1975 Yamaha TY80

TylerB
Project Regular
Project Regular

Project Moondust Silver

Postby TylerB » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:02 am

Good luck with restoring it and getting rid of all the rust, will be worth it as this puma looks real clean. I wouldn't wait to fix it anymore either :-) wheels look great btw
0 x

Return to “ProjectPuma”